Cats And Dogs

mr.mister

This is probably common sense to a lot of DOLers, but I thought I would put this out there anyway, after I heard a very sad story from my neighbour.

This neighbour had two cats and a dog, as well as another dog which regularly came and stayed with them. The dogs have always interacted well with the cats, but one day it seems the two dogs were playing, got over aroused and ended up using one of the cats as a tug toy. :cry: Her back was broken, and she had to be PTS.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first story I've heard like this. So please be careful, fellow DOLers. Watch carefully for any predatory behaviour, and separate if possible when not at home.

RIP little tabby cat. :(

Dogs and cats can actually live together but there are times when dogs really could lose it and just act as a predator.

Once I saw my dog play around with a kitten. When I turned to look at them again, she already had the kitten in her mouth, with blood pouring over the kitten's white coat. It was really sad and disgusting to look at.

Our three cats have their own bedroom, so that we can keep them separate from the dogs if we are not going to be around (plus they are all cord chewers.) I always keep a very close eye on our ACD. He loves the cats, has been raised with all kinds of different cats since puppy-hood, and he and our fluffy cat wrestle all the time, but you just never know when that typical ACD attitude will appear if he gets swatted too hard one day, "what the...? Oh it's on!"

Edited by madredeperros

We have had a multi dog and cat household for my entire life without too much issues,the only exception being a GSD we had as kids that was safe with adult cats but not kittens.

At the moment we have four of each, the oldest being 13 years and the youngest about 10 months and they are always together but there are areas the cats can go that the dogs can't get to.

I was fastidious about keeping Woo and the cat separated at eating time. The cat still eats separately. But she seems to know to keep clear of dog at eating time. It only takes 10 secs for her to eat anyway, so I stay and keep an eye out.

They do play - and we separate occasionally when things start to get a bit too enthusiastic. I do think the cat would be more likely to win any disagreement, tho.

that's so sad, especially as the owner probably had been initially careful to see they'd be OK with the cat. thanks for the reminder. I'm currently letting my chickens free range in the yards with my whippets, but I never leave them unattended.