Worming

BT-Argo

crisovar should i get out my sister's microscope and look myself? is that what the vet would be doing?

What the Vet does is test the faeces for worm eggs by doing a faecal float using a saturated saline solution to float the worm eggs which can then be seen under the microscope or a faecal smear. They can identify worm burden or parasites such as coccidia using these methods. The type of worms that need to be treated can be identified by their different eggs.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these chemicals are so harmful why are they allowed to be given monthly by manufacturers?

Yes I understand they only want our money but if they were indeed dangerous surely they would not be allowed to advertise and sell them at a monthly dose?

Because they are dogs, that's why. Apparently it's OK to poison our pets in the name of "prevention", because at the end of the day they are dogs not humans

Would you worm youself every month ? Would you put 12 months worth of a chemical into your body in one hit ? Would you use headlice shampoo every week just incase ? Would you vaccinate yourself every year for Polia, Hep B, Chicken Pox etc?

Guest donatella

If these chemicals are so harmful why are they allowed to be given monthly by manufacturers?

Yes I understand they only want our money but if they were indeed dangerous surely they would not be allowed to advertise and sell them at a monthly dose?

Because they are dogs, that's why. Apparently it's OK to poison our pets in the name of "prevention", because at the end of the day they are dogs not humans

Would you worm youself every month ? Would you put 12 months worth of a chemical into your body in one hit ? Would you use headlice shampoo every week just incase ? Would you vaccinate yourself every year for Polia, Hep B, Chicken Pox etc?

But they are preventative methods and don't have a long body life. I don't vacc myself for those diseases because the body produces an immunity to them after 1 dose otherwise yes I probably would.

I thought the whole idea was prevention and not waiting for the parasite to hit? I certainly don't want my dogs to get worms so I prevent it rather then wait for an if and when and then treat.

If you want to compare humans and dogs there are millions of people who are alive everyday because they take truckloads of chemicals (medications) to keep their illness at bay. Just because its chemical doesn't mean its necessarily evil.

I'd rather take the advice of my vet when it comes to my dogs health and wellbeing and they have always advised me to worm, and I've never had any ill effects of over chemicalised or poisened dogs.

But they are preventative methods and don't have a long body life. I don't vacc myself for those diseases because the body produces an immunity to them after 1 dose otherwise yes I probably would.

I thought the whole idea was prevention and not waiting for the parasite to hit? I certainly don't want my dogs to get worms so I prevent it rather then wait for an if and when and then treat.

If you want to compare humans and dogs there are millions of people who are alive everyday because they take truckloads of chemicals (medications) to keep their illness at bay. Just because its chemical doesn't mean its necessarily evil.

I'd rather take the advice of my vet when it comes to my dogs health and wellbeing and they have always advised me to worm, and I've never had any ill effects of over chemicalised or poisened dogs.

Yes I agree. I trust my vet 100%. I had concerns about giving my greyhounds the heartworm injection which I discussed with him. He was concerned about people trusting everything they read on the net :shrug: My old boy lived to 16, I must have done something right.

Guest donatella

Yes I agree. I trust my vet 100%. I had concerns about giving my greyhounds the heartworm injection which I discussed with him. He was concerned about people trusting everything they read on the net :shrug: My old boy lived to 16, I must have done something right.

My mums 3 dogs are all annually heartworm injected and her oldest is 16 still going on. The best thing you can do is find a good vet and heed their advice. They are the ones who have the vetinary science education and qualifications.

I would be careful about the scaremongering that goes on through the internet sometimes.

Intestinal wormers are not a preventative - they kill the worms that are present in the dog at the moment in time, they don't prevent anything.

I agree there are millions of people who take medications to keep their illness at bay - however if the dog IS NOT ILL why give it anything at all.

I assume you are aware that Frontline & Advantage no longer work in some areas because fleas have developed (evolved if you like but I doubt this is actually correct) which are immune to it.

I assume you are aware that parastic immunity in sheep is a major issue on many farms - flocks of sheep carry worms which are totally immune to entire spectrums of worming products.

I assume you have heard of the super-bug in hospitals which is immune to all but a tiny very expensive group of antibiotics.

I have had dogs given the annual heartworm shot and I won't do it again. Nope, none of them had any problems but I have read enough to realise that perhaps doing it again would tip me into the realms of when a problem might happen - and if you've just chucked a year's worth of chemicals into a dog it's impossible to take it out again if something goes wrong. I would not ever not use heartworm products where we live but I would never again risk even the smallest possibility of doing a year's worth of damage in 5 seconds. It's so simple to give a chew once a month, it's a no-brainer to me.

Yes you should definitely follow a vet's advice over some random internet site, no one is suggesting otherwise, however you need to educate yourself as to what to ask your vet and to see if perhaps your vet actually has as little knowledge as you do.

I have personally met vets who have been practising for 5 or 6 years and NEVER seen an entire adult male dog in their clinic - how much experience with dogs in general do you think these vets have had?

Edited by Sandra777

Guest donatella

Intestinal wormers are not a preventative - they kill the worms that are present in the dog at the moment in time, they don't prevent anything.

I agree there are millions of people who take medications to keep their illness at bay - however if the dog IS NOT ILL why give it anything at all.

I assume you are aware that Frontline & Advantage no longer work in some areas because fleas have developed (evolved if you like but I doubt this is actually correct) which are immune to it.

I assume you are aware that parastic immunity in sheep is a major issue on many farms - flocks of sheep carry worms which are totally immune to entire spectrums of worming products.

I assume you have heard of the super-bug in hospitals which is immune to all but a tiny very expensive group of antibiotics.

Yes you should definitely follow a vet's advice over some random internet site, no one is suggesting otherwise, however you need to educate yourself as to what to ask your vet and to see if perhaps your vet actually has as little knowledge as you do.

I have personally met vets who have been practising for 5 or 6 years and NEVER seen an entire adult male dog in their clinic - how much experience with dogs in general do you think these vets have had?

Considering these vets spend years at uni being educated I'd like to think they're a lot more experienced then your average Joe Blo.

What about heartworm? I am not willing to sit back and wait for it to attack, I am happy to 'poison' my dog every month so you say then have a dead dog from a preventable illness.

The doses in these pills are clearly safe enough to be ingested and until there is proof that my dog is otherwise going to be harmed i'd continue to take them whether it be preventative or unnecessary.

I think people should do what they feel is in their dogs best interest but after serious research and discussion with a vet. I wouldn't be playing around with heartworm in affected areas.

Edited by donatella

My mums 3 dogs are all annually heartworm injected and her oldest is 16 still going on. The best thing you can do is find a good vet and heed their advice. They are the ones who have the vetinary science education and qualifications.

I would be careful about the scaremongering that goes on through the internet sometimes.

Yep. I have been going to my vet for almost 20 years. He is held in high esteem here on the coast. He has had his practice here for 32 years. He has the bedside manner of a rock BUT damn good vet lol

Yep. I have been going to my vet for almost 20 years. He is held in high esteem here on the coast. He has had his practice here for 32 years. He has the bedside manner of a rock BUT damn good vet lol

i've been seeing my homeopathic vet since 1988. she is german and very to the point she's almost made me cry with her chastisements and i consider myself a good owner! i'm also a gold card customer. her head vet nurse has often had to water down her comments to clients. i love her for being honest and she always goes the extra mile.

It's not really that hard to tell if a dog has most types of intestinal worms - daily poo patrol usually alerts to any changes in the gut... *grin*

In the grand scheme of things, a light worm burden in a dog isn't the worst thing they can get wrong with them - and worming when they don't need it seems to me a bit of overkill - especially when you look at exactly what the medication does to get rid of said worms.

Funnily enough, the only pill my dogs WON'T take from my hand happily are worming tablets - even the flavoured chewable ones.

All of my foster pups are wormed regularly on a puppy worming schedule. If they happen to poop out any worms, then my dogs will get a dose with the next puppy scheduled round. Otherwise, they only get dosed when I see signs of them.

I only flea treat if I see a flea on any of the dogs.

Vaccinations for my fosters are on puppy schedule - that is one thing I'm REALLY big on. My own dogs haven't been vaccinated in quite a while, but as they are more likely to be seeing very small exposure to a lot of things brought in by my fosters, they are constantly boosting their immunities to said nasties. My old girl is going to be vaccinated again soon (7 years since her last shot) because at 13, her natural immune system could very well become less effective due to the aging process... and I'd hate for her to actually get sick from something I could have prevented.

T.

The fact is placing checmials that are not required in a dogs system, does more harm than good

What kind of harm is being done to the individual dog specifically please? I worm/flea treat my dogs slightly less often than recommended but still regularly, what would I be looking for in the way of damage/problems?

Wormers are a treatment for an already present worm burden, they are not a preventative. There is no need to give them if your dog does not have worms. Monthly Heartworm treatments kill the already present microfilaria and stop them developing further into the adult worms that cause the damage, in that respect they will prevent Heartworm Disease and can be called preventatives unlike gastrointestinal wormers.

Guest donatella

Sounds like I could buy Heartworm only tablets monthly still and only treat intestinal worms every 3 months or so.

I still have to Frontline religiously as I'm from a high tick area as although fleas are not a problem and never have been I have to be vigilant with my tick cover.

For those that font worm - what about hyatids?

What about hydatids?

My dogs don't have any of the risk factors - scavenging, rural, contact with wildlife, fed raw offal - so would never be in a position to pick up the eggs. Most city-dwelling dogs would have a nil chance of being infected either.

Rural dogs, working dogs - absolutely, no argument need to be treated.

Which is why people need to understand the risk factors before they make a decision.

When we lived rurally and had stock our dogs were religiously treated for hydatids never fear :D