Hungry Dog Silliness

Little Gifts

Oh good! Im not alone!

Cleo is just insanely food motivated, it actually bugs me, because I can't train her from about 4.30pm until she's fed. She runs to her "spot" whenever she sees me, waiting for food and from about 5.30 she'll whine until fed. I don't like having a whiney dog!! It's like she doesn't realise that food is indeed coming, i haven't starved her yet! And it's not like we have a set time either, any time between 4.30 and 8pm is dinner time, whenever we get to it.

Tonight just proved her hungry dog silliness to me. I'm working on teaching "roll over", taught the basics in a training session during the day when she's sensible but then work on it more at dinner time before she's fed.

First of all, she sits on her station (her bed) until called off, then sit, drop, roll. She does it well, and gets one kibble as a reward. without prompting, she returns to the bed (because she has to be on the bed before dinner is given) even though I want to try her roll over again.

We do the come, sit, drop, roll and does a really good roll without much direction/hand cueing (using a kibble to direct her movements) so I jackpot and give her about 10 kibble peices.

She totally ignores the small collection of kibble and runs back to the bed because she knows that on the bench is her bowl and she wants it.

I know that trying to train her at dinner time obviously doesn't work for her, and I know how to work around it. Im now just resigned to the fact that I have a crazy dog between 4pm and dinner time.

Well it's dal thing, we have that exact thing except for one little detail Leo does loop the loop on the way to the mat first one circle left then one right then one left and one right.... Oh and cat leaps too. And Sophie just droools and drooooooools and drooooooooooools ( notice more ooooo as the drool gets very large) the more she waits.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

To all the heros who say they don't tolerate that behaviour congratulations. However when you feed dogs at a certain time everyday they tend to pick up on this time and get excited, energetic and alert. It has nothing to do with tolerating, its about a routine they have adapted too, a bit like when you leave and come home from work, I bet your pets can pick this time almost to the clock as well.

To all the heros who say they don't tolerate that behaviour congratulations. However when you feed dogs at a certain time everyday they tend to pick up on this time and get excited, energetic and alert. It has nothing to do with tolerating, its about a routine they have adapted too, a bit like when you leave and come home from work, I bet your pets can pick this time almost to the clock as well.

Yep, I've certainly tried tolerating but the more I ignore the behaviour, the more worked up and inconsolable my dog gets. I've tried rewarding only good behaviour,but that doesn't work either. Cleo just knows that late afternoon means that food is coming at some stage and gets crazy over it. It's just who she is I suppose. And I must say that mornings are very different, she drools and droooooools (like you said voloclydes!!) but doesn't carry on the same.

Hit a nerve or something?? Didn't realize you had to resort to name calling.

You missed the point - as I don't tolerate such demanding behaviors, I don't feed at the same time every day - some days I don't even feed dinner at all. And no - mine don't time my going and coming from work - I mix up my morning routine and generally come home at different times every night. Routine is not always a good thing as it can lead to anxiety behaviors if that routine is not adhered too.

Guest donatella

I wasn't aware calling people 'heroes' was now considered offensive. Clearly the problem is at your end not mine.

Edited by donatella

I don't feed at the same time every day - some days I don't even feed dinner at all. And no - mine don't time my going and coming from work - I mix up my morning routine and generally come home at different times every night. Routine is not always a good thing as it can lead to anxiety behaviors if that routine is not adhered too.

Much the same here . :)

Routine is not always a good thing as it can lead to anxiety behaviors if that routine is not adhered too.

Exactly !

Imagine if you are 10min late from work, or have an accident and can't make it home for 2 hours.

Mix up the times, change the routine around.

I wasn't aware calling people 'heroes' was now considered offensive. Clearly the problem is at your end not mine.

No, I have to agree with Danois on that, the word might not be offensive but the tone seems to be! Anyway, that's OT

I try to do the same, though bear expects dinner at 8.30 she rarely gets it then. I used to feed on time and seeing how worked up she got when it wasn't delivered on the dot made me feel I was causing her unnecessary anxiety, so we mix up the when, where and how, and they seem gradually calmer at night because of it.

Guest donatella

People can perceive things how they want, I'm not phased. Not my problem :D

Edited by donatella

I feed when I am ready, the dogs do not get to decide when they eat in this house.

Mine do. As racing greyhounds their life has been fairly regimented so they are used to a strict routine. I am up at around 5am and they get brekkie then and they are fed around 4.30pm. They are used to this routine. Stan gets restless around 4pm and to be honest, what's the point of saying to him....nope you will eat when I decide....yay I just beat a dog. I feed them, they are happy and asleep on the lounge :shrug: As always it's what works for you.

I'm sure I read somewhere that if a dog has a set feeding routine it will acually start secreting stomach acid at feed times whether food appears or not? (Not sure if that's true)

Which is not necessarily a problem if the routine can be kept. I know that neither OH or I can guarantee a regular dinner time so I've never set one, they get fed anywhere from 4pm to 10pm and also don't get fed at all sometimes. But like SM said, whatever works :)

Edited by TheLBD

Guest donatella

I don't know how not having a set routine doesnt guarantee excitement/silliness either.

I'm a shift worker so my dogs are used to me being at work mornings, afternoons and night shifts and these change month to month. Obviously their meal times differ depending on my shift that day yet I get hungry excited beasts no matter what time I go to feed.

I feed when I am ready, the dogs do not get to decide when they eat in this house.

Mine do. As racing greyhounds their life has been fairly regimented so they are used to a strict routine. I am up at around 5am and they get brekkie then and they are fed around 4.30pm. They are used to this routine. Stan gets restless around 4pm and to be honest, what's the point of saying to him....nope you will eat when I decide....yay I just beat a dog. I feed them, they are happy and asleep on the lounge :shrug: As always it's what works for you.

Because I am not going to do what they want when they want. I'm not going to live with dogs that whine and whine if dinner or breakfast is 5 mins late.. If you are happy to be ruled by your dogs that is fine, they are after all your dogs.

Because I am not going to do what they want when they want. I'm not going to live with dogs that whine and whine if dinner or breakfast is 5 mins late.. If you are happy to be ruled by your dogs that is fine, they are after all your dogs.

Correct. Mine do not whine and whine, as I said Stan gets restless around the time I feed them. No wingeing, just restless. My dogs don't rule my life, they make me happy. Clover I didn't pick out your post to be nasty it just suited my reply. Apologies if I have offended you.