Rspca New Regs On Working Dogs

Steve

Gen X.

What they were brainwashed with in the education system is now starting to surface as they move into positions of policy making in the real world.....of which they have no real understanding.

Edited by jerry lee

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens when the RSPCA's guidelines clash with those issued by the Dept of Primary Industry where certain parts are actually enforceable and would already be adhered to.

The RSPCA's are issued as GUIDELINES and are just that - unless they are backed up with legislation they fall back onto POCTA.

Pity people don't realise that food comes from somewhere & does not just appear in the supermarket or butcher shop overnight delivered by the fairies.

Unbelievable. Most of the dogs who need to be muzzled because they are hard on stock are muzzled anyway. We've never needed to muzzle any of our working dogs, the ACDs were never used in the cattle yards and the one kelpie we had who would bite in the sheep yards was a far better paddock dog than yard dog so was usually tied up. Even when I was jillarooing, working with cattle who didn't see man for months at at time, we never used dogs in the yards.

However, if you take a look at some of the working dog ads you will see dogs being showcased as being hard biters, in some cases hanging off the muzzles of cattle, sometimes two and three dogs cornering stock in a yard for the sake of a good ad photo. I've grown up and worked on numerous cattle properties with working ACDs & kelpies, but some of the photos I've seen in ads make me cringe because they are unnecessarily harsh on the stock and do none of us any favours. :(

Edited by Jess.

I really can not beleive this. Is there really someone out there that thinks this is a good move? WHAT NEXT! :mad

I know - lets get the RSPCA folk into the yards to move the cattle......

I wonder what the National Party and the National Farmers Federation think of this?

Edited by espinay2

I think there'll be a bigger fighting force to try to prevent this than has happened with show people. Sheep will be next (if they haven't already done a sheep guideline) and then now trials with cattle or sheep as well as not being able to use dogs at all. The whole point of using dogs is that they are trained to work the stock quietly and gently!

I think there'll be a bigger fighting force to try to prevent this than has happened with show people. Sheep will be next (if they haven't already done a sheep guideline) and then now trials with cattle or sheep as well as not being able to use dogs at all. The whole point of using dogs is that they are trained to work the stock quietly and gently!

Yes. And on that note I just dropped a line to my local State member on this issue. His electorate is a rural farming based one so I darn well hope he listens!

This is the organisation that had wool heavy sheep run to exhaustion by people with for their TV show trying to pen them for shearing, then a working dog do the job with minimum fuss. :mad

Edited by Janba

I guess stock horses will be next then, especially camp drafting and cutting, since they chase cows around at speed....

I like the idea of the RSPCA folks doing the dogs' job for a week, maybe they will rethink their position...

I will smack someone if that happens! I've got one bull who can only be moved on horse back as he gets stirry.

This whole thing is BS