Going Around Facebook

Tobias0407

If you don't go to the shelter now and buy all the dogs you are responsible for killing them (and nit their owners for dumping them)...

:eek: not sure I understand this post correctly we are after all on a PURE BREED forum and I hope this is said tongue in cheek!

I thought it was obvious that it was.

If you don't go to the shelter now and buy all the dogs you are responsible for killing them (and nit their owners for dumping them)...

:eek: not sure I understand this post correctly we are after all on a PURE BREED forum and I hope this is said tongue in cheek!

I thought it was obvious that it was.

Apologies if I misunderstood. Unfortunately what is written is not always interpreted by readers as intended by the writer.

Don't worry about that silly letter. I look at it that you ARE NOT contributing to putting any dogs into any pounds. You will be responsible and look after your pet and not send it off to the pound. It doesn't matter that you get a purebreed, that is your choice. What does matter is that you will be responsible and won't be dumping your dog when the going gets a little rough.

PS: love the reply! :thumbsup:

Edited by CHA

It's done the rounds so many times and every time it reappears I get irritated, more so even than the silly letter, the overwrought responses that it attracts. So I thought I'd write a reply, so that every time it shows up, I can post my reply.

So here's what I wrote in response: http://www.headingforhome.asn.au/every-letter-deserves-a-reply/

LIKE!

T.

It's done the rounds so many times and every time it reappears I get irritated, more so even than the silly letter, the overwrought responses that it attracts. So I thought I'd write a reply, so that every time it shows up, I can post my reply.

So here's what I wrote in response: http://www.headingforhome.asn.au/every-letter-deserves-a-reply/

I wrote something of the same sentiment albeit much shorter and not as eloquent and got a thoroughly hysterical response in OVERWROUGHT CAPS and loads of !!!!!!!!!

That is a very powerful reply, well done.

actually, as someone who has worked in a pound and held hundreds of dogs and GoD knows how many more cats, I thought it was a terrible reply. The people responsible for the animals dying are the owners not the pound workers. Terrible, terrible things you have said and it has me back there living it. IT WAS NOT MY FAULT THE ANIMALS DIED.

actually, as someone who has worked in a pound and held hundreds of dogs and GoD knows how many more cats, I thought it was a terrible reply. The people responsible for the animals dying are the owners not the pound workers. Terrible, terrible things you have said and it has me back there living it. IT WAS NOT MY FAULT THE ANIMALS DIED.

I think the reply was aimed at the "shelter manager" who wrote the original piece. The answer advised what management types can try to do instead of following the same old methods of reducing the numbers of animals in their care. The system can really only change from within - when people who work in that environment say "enough" and look into other ways of lightening their load (so to speak). There were some very good suggestions for certain types of action that really wouldn't cost them anything, and will get animals leaving rather than dying and having to be disposed of.

Sure - the "blame" lies with owners who surrender or don't come to get their dogs... but there are other ways to deal with the situation of animals in pounds and shelters that have proven to be very effective when put into place.

T.

I think if you are fundamentally opposed to a 'kill' policy, you wouldn't work in such a facility to begin with. No one forced shelter workers to take their jobs.

I have never surrendered an animal to a pound.

I have never held an animal down to be PTS for anything but a medical reason, undertaken by a vet.

Seems to me people who have done either of those things are a lot more responsible than I am.

I'm sure pound and shelter workers (or vets and vet nurses) never thought as they were growing up "I want to have a job where I get to hold perfectly healthy and rehomable pets as they are euthanaised"...

I've yet to meet one pound or shelter worker who thinks that part of the job is acceptable. Even in the pounds and shelters where they have many options in place (read working with rescue, foster carer programs, etc), perfectly rehomable animals are euthanaised - albeit on a smaller scale than the places without those extra options in place.

Then there is the fact that some animals really can't or shouldn't be rehomed... in some cases it's actually kinder to euthanaise.

T.

I think the reply was aimed at the "shelter manager" who wrote the original piece. The answer advised what management types can try to do instead of following the same old methods of reducing the numbers of animals in their care. The system can really only change from within - when people who work in that environment say "enough" and look into other ways of lightening their load (so to speak). There were some very good suggestions for certain types of action that really wouldn't cost them anything, and will get animals leaving rather than dying and having to be disposed of.

Sure - the "blame" lies with owners who surrender or don't come to get their dogs... but there are other ways to deal with the situation of animals in pounds and shelters that have proven to be very effective when put into place.

T.

Exactly. That's what the reply was about. No one blames shelter workers for working there and the fault lies with the owners who think they're disposable. But you can see what happens when the shelter decides enough is enough.