Endurance Test 2013

Hi all,

I have been reading though this and last years thread in preparation for eventually doing this with my younger dog who turns 2 towards the end of the year.

But since reading I've gone and got myself confused over the upper end of the age limit. I had always thought that 7 was the upper limit and having a dog that has just turned 7, I'd just assumed that she was out. Until I read that under 8 is the limit.

If that's the case then I'd like to put her though too.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have been watching and reading this forum page for a little while now. I have a tripawed dalmatian and was wondering how she would go. I wanted to get permission to be able to enter first. Finally got the ok and we have been in trainng for a couple of weeks now we are almost ip to 10 ks no break and shes going fantastic she would go all day after the first training session i got my vet to check her out as i didnt want to cause any undue stress on her. Having said that she is superfit vet reckons shes fitter than almost all dogs she sees in the surgery. She pulled up fine so we have been training well tommorrow we should crack the 10 ks weather will determi e it as we have to go after my daughters netball. Shes also doing it she is 12 so again i wanted to check she was allowed to do it and yes as she is 12 its fine shes also a ju ior member so its all good shes got her jack russell we must look like the odd couple but have had so many positive remarks about my girl. I was worried people would think i was mean and if she struggled in the tiniest way there is no way i would do it still not sure until we crack the full distance but shes loving it she sees the bike helmet amd goes all nutty. Our little jack is working on her fitness after maternity leave so she found it a bit harder and has so far oly got to 5 ks again weather depending we will hopefully go a little further this week.

Hi all,

I have been reading though this and last years thread in preparation for eventually doing this with my younger dog who turns 2 towards the end of the year.

But since reading I've gone and got myself confused over the upper end of the age limit. I had always thought that 7 was the upper limit and having a dog that has just turned 7, I'd just assumed that she was out. Until I read that under 8 is the limit.

Hi, on the day of the test, your dog must be a minimum of 2 years old, and not a day older than 8 years old.

M

Hi all,

Hi, on the day of the test, your dog must be a minimum of 2 years old, and not a day older than 8 years old.

M

Thanks - time to start training. Shouldnt take too long. We do a 6k walk most days :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering where you find the schedules for the ET's? I looked on vicdogs and the 2 that are maybe a possibility for us there is no schedule for (it was one that will be at KCC in June and there is one listed in Sale in July). I looked on the club websites and there was no information. do you just have to contact the clubs to get the information?

I'm still not 100% sure if we'll be ready, but would like the info just in case!!

The Dally club has one coming up - the schedule is on the DCOV website. If you have trouble finding it let me know :)

I'm not 100% sure if I can make that one. But, I was just looking at the venue on google maps... where does it run? Is it around the whole park complex? Or is it just around a limited section? And if it is the whole park complex are there other things going on there on the day? And are there many other people that use the venue with dogs?

I only ask as someone I know recommended that KCC was a good venue for Kenz given that we sometimes have issues if we come across other dogs that want to come too close to us that she doesn't know (if she's walking/running in the same direction as them we don't have a problem, but if they come towards us then it can become a problem!).

The Dally club has one coming up - the schedule is on the DCOV website. If you have trouble finding it let me know :)

I'm not 100% sure if I can make that one. But, I was just looking at the venue on google maps... where does it run? Is it around the whole park complex? Or is it just around a limited section? And if it is the whole park complex are there other things going on there on the day? And are there many other people that use the venue with dogs?

I only ask as someone I know recommended that KCC was a good venue for Kenz given that we sometimes have issues if we come across other dogs that want to come too close to us that she doesn't know (if she's walking/running in the same direction as them we don't have a problem, but if they come towards us then it can become a problem!).

Hi, I am actually judging the DCOV trial at the Springers Leisure Centre, and have done so before too. The grounds are completely flat, and the course stays pretty well out of the way of other activities. There is section of shared road, and gravel path. The club has excellent marshalls that monitor the course to keep it safe.

KCC is a good venue, but can be very, very, very wet underfoot if the weather has been bad.

M

Yes, how do you enter an ET trial?

From memory there is one in June/July at erksine park in NSW. I've helped out with vetting there before but want to trial this year. Are the trial notices/entries in the DogsNSW Gazette like other trials?

I entered the Victorian GSD club test and had to do so via their website.

Tarja and I had our first attempt on the bike track, after some practice sessions at the park doing laps of the oval and a little bit of riding on grass. It's a bit different for her, given the occasional other bike rider and jogger, and she was a bit less steady than at the park. She is still getting used to just keeping on going at a steady pace, as she is both by genetics and experience a run-and-stop dog, but she looks so serious and business-like when she gets into stride :laugh: We also had our first stack - fortunately on nice long cushy grass! We went about 3km today, with several hundred metres of walking at the beginning and end. Gotta build up... I think the park is a bit safer though, I can see better what's going on around me.

Yes, how do you enter an ET trial?

From memory there is one in June/July at erksine park in NSW. I've helped out with vetting there before but want to trial this year. Are the trial notices/entries in the DogsNSW Gazette like other trials?

Yes- a notice/ schedule comes out in the Gazette. After you enter they send out a form for your vet check.

whats the GSD clubs circuit (Melbourne)like please?

Hi,

I have judged the GSDCV test at Altona twice, and competed there about four times.

It would be my favourite ET course. It is very flat, and quite scenic going around Cherry Lake. Most of the course is on paved road and pathway, a small amount of gravel and some grassed areas. One small hill and a 'dog legged' wooden foot bridge to negotiate.

The GSDCV puts on an excellent test, and I highly recommend you entering this one.

M

l'm wondering if someone can tell me the location of the Vic ET's. We have 3 girls in training and had planned Murray Valley, Dali club and GSDCV but now that Murray Valley is not holding one we are an ET short and l'm trying to stay away from KCC park as it can get so wet there.

l'm wondering if someone can tell me the location of the Vic ET's. We have 3 girls in training and had planned Murray Valley, Dali club and GSDCV but now that Murray Valley is not holding one we are an ET short and l'm trying to stay away from KCC park as it can get so wet there.

there's one at Sale

As far as I know, KCC park is not being used this year. I am judging the Dalmatian Club at Tatterson Park in Keysborough. The HVCV is also using this location. The GSDCV are using Cherry Lake. East Gippsland use the paths around the lake. I do not believe the Westernport Club ET is going ahead.

M

l thought the HVCV used KCC so that is probably the best option. Sale is abit far as l'm out Horsham way. l love the GSDCV's ET location, l think you were my judge the last two years there M. With two girls due in season late June and one who should have already come in l think l'll have some juggling to do.

l thought the HVCV used KCC so that is probably the best option. Sale is abit far as l'm out Horsham way. l love the GSDCV's ET location, l think you were my judge the last two years there M. With two girls due in season late June and one who should have already come in l think l'll have some juggling to do.

Best try for a test early June? DCOV? HVCV?

Good luck!

M

• 2 weeks later...