Endurance Test 2013

:laugh: LappieHappie - had to laugh - my immediate thought on reading your question was exactly what Rebanne posted - Easy Peasy!

A friend and I did ET with our agility/obedience BCs a few years ago. I hadnt been on a bike for about 15 years , and in her case, it was ... probably 40 years :rofl: . So first task -get ourselves used to riding, second task, get the dogs used to being around the bikes, first with us walking, then with us riding. (Luckily we could do this on her fairly flat driveways on a 5 acre block :D . Then it was getting the dogs used to working on a leash beside the bike - in my case, each of my two dogs separately, and then together. I think we trained a few times a week for about 3 months - then had no problems - well other that howling gales and horizontal sleet on the day of the test.

So you've got plenty of time - and you've even got a bike - as Rebanne said - Easy Peasy :laugh: .

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: LappieHappie - had to laugh - my immediate thought on reading your question was exactly what Rebanne posted - Easy Peasy!

A friend and I did ET with our agility/obedience BCs a few years ago. I hadnt been on a bike for about 15 years , and in her case, it was ... probably 40 years :rofl: . So first task -get ourselves used to riding, second task, get the dogs used to being around the bikes, first with us walking, then with us riding. (Luckily we could do this on her fairly flat driveways on a 5 acre block :D . Then it was getting the dogs used to working on a leash beside the bike - in my case, each of my two dogs separately, and then together. I think we trained a few times a week for about 3 months - then had no problems - well other that howling gales and horizontal sleet on the day of the test.

So you've got plenty of time - and you've even got a bike - as Rebanne said - Easy Peasy :laugh: .

That wasn't at Knox was it? 1999? My first was in awful weather but I went back the next year and the weather was much kinder :D

LOL ...no, Rebanne ..it was in Longford, near Launceston ..in 2006. Absolutely awful weather ..I even fell off my bike when my boy shook really vigorously in the middle of a sleet squall, luckily only onto muddy gravel . I did ET again a couple of years ago with Rory, in freezing but calm and sunny weather. ..just a lovely ride on the park, except for the runner behind me who found the pace a little slow, so he kept letting his dog almost up Rory's backside. :-(. The judge eventually told him to back off a bit.

Does anyo e kmow the dates of the ACT and the Sydney one. I have an entire bitch so trying to roughly work out dates to see if she will be inseason if we can get her last few points for her CH title she maybe be desexed so wont be a problem.

Thanks

uggghh I need to start training... its gonna be interesting come august for myself and Ella but hopefully we'll make it :) Is there any people restrictions on ET lol! long story but it'll come out over time.. excited but nervous but I really need to get cracking with ella

Finally had time to practice cycling with The Spotted Devil himself again.....seeing as last time he stopped for a sniff and dumped me unceremoniously on my @r$e I'd call this morning a resounding success :laugh:

We also made some new friends....Ziggy meets Nemo :)

ZogampNemo_zps9e26c6f3.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Aww such a cute photo.

We met horses on our last ride too.

I ended up finding a horse harness racing trotting track.

Amazing what you find when you aren't looking.

Esky and I have been making good progress. We're up to about 6km, but training has been infrequent in the heat we've been having :(

uggghh I need to start training... its gonna be interesting come august for myself and Ella but hopefully we'll make it :) Is there any people restrictions on ET lol! long story but it'll come out over time.. excited but nervous but I really need to get cracking with ella

Hi,

only restriction on people is that any handler must be a DogsVic member.

M

So OH pulled out my bike the other day and adjusted the wheels, brakes, and seat and pumped up the tyres for me, and today we spent some quality time at Ivanhoe Cycles buying new lights, new tyres and inners for his fancy road bike, and a new tyre pump as the one we had was a tad dodgy. Then we went for our first ride together tonight: around 5 1/2 km, in just under half an hour with several pauses for the unfit chick who hasn't been on a bike in something like 7 years.

My new lights are excellent, I have discovered I still have gluteal muscles, and I only vomited once :o

So OH pulled out my bike the other day and adjusted the wheels, brakes, and seat and pumped up the tyres for me, and today we spent some quality time at Ivanhoe Cycles buying new lights, new tyres and inners for his fancy road bike, and a new tyre pump as the one we had was a tad dodgy. Then we went for our first ride together tonight: around 5 1/2 km, in just under half an hour with several pauses for the unfit chick who hasn't been on a bike in something like 7 years.

My new lights are excellent, I have discovered I still have gluteal muscles, and I only vomited once :o

How come OH gets a fancy road bike ($$$$) and you get bits and pieces for your bike? :laugh:

Maybe a new mountain bike for you is the go!

It is amazing at how quickly you will get used to riding distances. Just remember to do your stretches before each ride, and after.

M

OH had the fancy road bike before I met him, and mine is a pretty nice hybrid which is very suitable for the ET, so I'm happy enough - especially as he said that when I'm riding more he thinks I should get a fancy road bike too :D He's coveting my new lights, though!

Is it ( the ET) do able on a BMX?

It is, though probably not the best bike to do it on. If your height and weight lends itself to being comfortable on a BMX, then you will be fine. Again, a gel seat and padded cycling shorts will help a lot!

M