Will Snake Catchers Remove Snakes From The Backyard...

pipsqueak

I've suspected for some months that we had a snake, but couldn't confirm it as I hadn't seen it in the open , so didn't know if it was a snake or lizard. We have two dogs, one of which I am certain would go after a snake. I am trying to find out if snake catchers will catch and relocate snakes from the backyard, or only if they are in the house? We are in Sydney, NSW.

If you don't have a snake friendly environment, they will move on.

We seem to be part of a snake highway here, but they just go through, don't stay. Most of ours are non-venomous and sometimes very pretty! We also have Toad eating snakes and they are most welcome! The nasty ones are next door where all the rubbish is. I fear the day it is cleared - THEN we will see snakes! I want to convince them to start this side and work away from us. :D

If the yard is a jungle, maybe you need to look at that.

Depends on where you are I guess. The snake catcher came out 3 times to next doors place to remove brown snakes from near the chook yard [semi rural area]. Did it for free as well.

ETA had a few browns near the house this summer. Tend to leave them alone and they move on. Mind you the dog is watched like a hawk when outside. I really do hate snake season :(

Edited by Noishe

That sounds completely ridiculous. Do they not care for people's safety?

[

Snakes are protected you can't legally just kill them unless you can prove your wheer truly threatened.

The fines are massive & there is a jail term

Not asking for it to be killed. Would just be happier for it to be moved to bushland about 1km away. We do need to work on a few things in the yard - a compost heap left by previous owners, which I am unable to move and have been begging my OH to move it for me. The other challenge we have are huge pine trees which constantly drop needles, so much so that you sweep them up one day and it is back to wher it was the next day.

That sounds completely ridiculous. Do they not care for people's safety?

Snakes are protected you can't legally just kill them unless you can prove your wheer truly threatened.

The fines are massive & there is a jail term

Then I can only assume that the authorities care more about snakes than they do about people and indeed any other animal.

Guest Labradork

When we lived in QLD there were snakes in our yard all the time. My Dad used to kill them with a spade (he would cut their heads off), but that was over 30 years ago. Maybe it wasn't illegal back then?

First you might want to make sure it is a snake - you don't want to call them out and have them unable to find anything at all, that would be frustrating for everyone.

99.9% certain it is a snake. It was curled up on a rock step out in the open last night. no legs to be seen.

Okay, since the snake hasn't moved for the last four hours, we had a closer look. It appears to be dead and there is possibly a tooth mark on the lower third of the snake, so we're guessing that either one of our dogs killed it, or our neighbours. So, on the off chance one of our dogs got bitten, what should we be watching for? Both our dogs have been inside since 6.30pm last night, so I guess the other question is, if they were bitten, would they be showing symptoms by now???

Do you take a photo? Post it if you do and I will identify it. Dogs show different symptoms. My neighbours dog was bitten and started vomiting, then for next 3 hours seemed fine but a bit sad. I arrived and she came to talk to me and lay at my feet. I commented that something was wrong and lifted her up. She had bled out of her bits (not sure which hole??). Rushed to vet and $3000 later, dog is fine and yard is cleared of scrubs, mowed and kept clear of any rubbish.

Hmmm... I wouldn't be too fussed at having that in my yard either... not sure what it is, but it doesn't look to be of the non-venomous persuasion.

If the dogs haven't been near it since 6:30pm last night, and they aren't showing any signs of illness by now, you may have gotten lucky. Some poisonous snakes can dry bite a few times before they get serious and hit with venom.

Check your dogs all over for any tiny puncture wounds, and just keep a good eye on them for the next 12 or so hours... if they look out of sorts at all, go to the vet. Even if it's a false alarm, it's better to be safe than sorry.

T.

Hmmm... I wouldn't be too fussed at having that in my yard either... not sure what it is, but it doesn't look to be of the non-venomous persuasion.

If the dogs haven't been near it since 6:30pm last night, and they aren't showing any signs of illness by now, you may have gotten lucky. Some poisonous snakes can dry bite a few times before they get serious and hit with venom.

Check your dogs all over for any tiny puncture wounds, and just keep a good eye on them for the next 12 or so hours... if they look out of sorts at all, go to the vet. Even if it's a false alarm, it's better to be safe than sorry.

T.

Thank you. Both dogs have been checked all over, including gums and tongue. And they will be watched like a hawk for the rest of the day. We know our local vet is closed, so it wil be a trip to the emergency vet if anything changes.