Another Joint Supplement: Rose-hip Vital Canine

ness

Caught a story on this on tonight's news. A lady swears by it for her Golden - has made a big difference to her arthritis. There was also a Dalmation featured and her owners said it was amazing the difference it had made. There is a Canine version out apparently.

The website only seems to have powder? Can you get the RHV Canine as a capsule? I often don't feed meals that you can add powder to easily (chicken frames) so find that I forget to give powders regularly. If I could shove a capsule down his throat daily, I'd be much more likely to give it every day.

eta. can I just get the human form, although that seems to have GOPO, whatever that is?

Edited by FHRP

The website only seems to have powder? Can you get the RHV Canine as a capsule? I often don't feed meals that you can add powder to easily (chicken frames) so find that I forget to give powders regularly. If I could shove a capsule down his throat daily, I'd be much more likely to give it every day.

eta. can I just get the human form, although that seems to have GOPO, whatever that is?

You can use the capsules for humans but you need 5 capsules to equal one scoop of the powder. My boy is 25 kg and is supposed to be on 2 scoops per day = 10 capsules, which is double what I take myself for a maintenance dose but he seems to do fine on the same dose as me which is one scoop or 5 capsules per day.

Thanks dancinbcs. How did you work out the dosage? Is g/kg the same as mg? The dog product says "One level scoop (included) = 2.5 g Contains: Rosa Canina (Rosehip) fruit powder 1000 g/kg" and the human powder product says "Each dosage scoop contains Rosa canina (Rosehip) fruit powder 500mg containing GOPO" and capsules "Each capsule contains Rosa canina L (rosehip) fruit powder 500mg containing GOPO". What does the L mean?

I take Rose Hip vital for my knee and have felt a marked improvement. I have an older golden with arthritis pretty much everywhere. I started her on the canine formula just over a week ago - already she seems brighter and happier. Think it will take a little longer to see the full effects though. I'm really hoping it works for her!

Hi Yes you can use the capsules, but why would you? the powder is so much easier, dogs love it, and much easier than giving a handful of capsules to a dog. If you specifically want to use capsules, for a small-med dog this would be approx 5, a large dog would need 15 -20 capsules per day! which is a lot. Also the 500g of powder is a much more economical way to buy RHVC, than capsules. I take the capsules my self, but my dogs get the powder.

Cheers J

This is a video I put together last week of Kenz's story and experience with the RHVC -

FHRP mine are both predominantly raw fed and get lots of things like chicken frames but I will mix it with a spoonful of yoghurt or some sardines or tuna or something each day.

Thanks dancinbcs. How did you work out the dosage? Is g/kg the same as mg? The dog product says "One level scoop (included) = 2.5 g Contains: Rosa Canina (Rosehip) fruit powder 1000 g/kg" and the human powder product says "Each dosage scoop contains Rosa canina (Rosehip) fruit powder 500mg containing GOPO" and capsules "Each capsule contains Rosa canina L (rosehip) fruit powder 500mg containing GOPO". What does the L mean?

The powder for humans has the maintenance dose as 1 scoop per day and the capsules are 5 capsules a day. I also checked with the company and they confirmed the powder for humans is pretty much the same stuff as the canine one and that 5 capsules was equal to 1 scoop of either powder. I was using capsules for a while and opening them to sprinkle on the dog's food, because they were cheaper. I bought a 500 gm canine powder tub yesterday though at the BC Fun Day as it was on special and that will last Angus for a few months now.

I wonder if you can just feed rose hips to dogs...maybe not as the seeds contained may be toxic. Any ideas :confused:

Good to see Kenz doing so well, Ness :thumbsup: My girl has just started holding up her front foot after resting :( but hope its not what Kenz has. Bindi gets better with exercise. Vet has her on anti-flams & anti-biots for a week.

Edited by sheena

Front leg/shoulder is where we started Sheena and yes Kenz would improve when she was exercised but was stiff and sore immediately on getting up. I hope its not that but bicep tendon injuries aren't uncommon in active performance dogs.

Front leg/shoulder is where we started Sheena and yes Kenz would improve when she was exercised but was stiff and sore immediately on getting up. I hope its not that but bicep tendon injuries aren't uncommon in active performance dogs.

:(

The powder for humans has the maintenance dose as 1 scoop per day and the capsules are 5 capsules a day. I also checked with the company and they confirmed the powder for humans is pretty much the same stuff as the canine one and that 5 capsules was equal to 1 scoop of either powder. I was using capsules for a while and opening them to sprinkle on the dog's food, because they were cheaper. I bought a 500 gm canine powder tub yesterday though at the BC Fun Day as it was on special and that will last Angus for a few months now.

Thanks again dancinbcs, I found it confusing with apparent different UOM to work out if they were the same :) I could have of course contacted the company myself, but you've confirmed if for me now! :thumbsup:

Edited by FHRP

Hi Yes you can use the capsules, but why would you?

As I explained in my initial query, I often don't feed food that can have power easily added to it and as a consequence I find I forget to give powders regularly. The dog I am considering it for is extremely easy to give tablets/capsules too, however I'd still not do it if it was 15-20 daily (although 5 seems more likely). Personally I'd prefer to get all the powder joint products as a capsule.