I'm Being Sued For Harassment

mantis

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite but we had a break-in and the lowlife must have cut themselves on the plate glass as there was blood everywhere, and we were told by the police that legally they could sue us for the injuries. Although they would first have to admit to breaking in.

I think they've changed the law in SA to exclude this - as long as the burglar broke the glass ie that you have not booby trapped the place and a fireman or policeman trying to help might get hurt. It would be a PITA to have to go to court to deal with it tho.

Meantime - prisoners here sue if they get injured in normal prison day to day life - a bit like workers comp. Ie if they slip and fall over on a wet floor or something. Sigh. I read some of them spend a lot of time reading law books cos they haven't much else to do.

I think they may also have changed the law about shooting people who break into your home, because two pensioners were let off by the juries - when they shot the burglars who had been (repeatedly) breaking in. Two separate cases of this about 15 years ago.

Meantime - prisoners here sue if they get injured in normal prison day to day life - a bit like workers comp. Ie if they slip and fall over on a wet floor or something. Sigh. I read some of them spend a lot of time reading law books cos they haven't much else to do.

Totally OT (sorry mantis) but I actually think that's fair enough. They have no option not to be there so they should be able to expect as safe an environment as possible.

well if we are being blunt I have been wondering what the temperament is of the OP's dog that everyone else's dog has to be kept well away? Surely the rescue wouldn't have sold a dog into this situation (small area, several other dogs living very close by) without making sure the dog was ok to live in that enviroment?

Huh? I don't go around people's neighbourhoods seeing what dogs live close by when adopting a dog. If the OP is walking their dog on a lead and has the dog under effective control then they are in the right, not all dogs appreciate other dogs approaching them and that's fair enough.

well if we are being blunt I have been wondering what the temperament is of the OP's dog that everyone else's dog has to be kept well away? Surely the rescue wouldn't have sold a dog into this situation (small area, several other dogs living very close by) without making sure the dog was ok to live in that enviroment?

Huh? I don't go around people's neighbourhoods seeing what dogs live close by when adopting a dog. If the OP is walking their dog on a lead and has the dog under effective control then they are in the right, not all dogs appreciate other dogs approaching them and that's fair enough.

they live on shared property, private property, where other unit people let their dogs off lead cause it is in their own yard. Not out in the street or around the corner.

It's not private property it's common property. Residents must not allow their dogs to hassle or rush at other residents on common property.

Exactly, that's written into our leases.

Anyway I've had no letters from Lawyers. :thumbsup: He is only walking his dog off lead on weekends & at night again, so my girl is getting to walk around & get to know the other dogs.

If he starts letting her off lead all the time again, I'll ring the Ranger & also tell him about him threatening to sue me.

• 3 months later...

An update, the moron stopped putting his dog on lead the last couple of weeks, so I told him I was reporting him to the council again. He laughed & said he doesn't care, because he is moving out & going to live in Mildura, he leaves tomorrow. :happydance:

Cougar is going to be such a happy girl, being able to finally safely walk & meet the other dogs here on lead.

Totally OT (sorry mantis) but I actually think that's fair enough. They have no option not to be there so they should be able to expect as safe an environment as possible.

Sorry O/T but they do have an option. Don't commit a crime. If they are there its because they broke a law and are paying a debt to society.

Edited by yarracully

An update, the moron stopped putting his dog on lead the last couple of weeks, so I told him I was reporting him to the council again. He laughed & said he doesn't care, because he is moving out & going to live in Mildura, he leaves tomorrow. :happydance:

Cougar is going to be such a happy girl, being able to finally safely walk & meet the other dogs here on lead.

Yay :cheer:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: