Gazebo Or Shade Solution

megan_

I'm looking for a gazebo or shade solution for when I trial/go to seminars. I know there are a lot of threads on this topic, but I'm after one that meets my requirements, which are:

* Be able to be assembled by one (uncoordinated) person. This is my primary requirement and a bit of a non -negotiable. I'll be on my own and I don't want to have to rely on the kindness of strangers, especially since they'll all have their own stuff to set up.

* Light weight - I get a sore back easily and don't have a show trolley to lug everything around in.

* Size wise, smaller is better. I'm not one of those people with tables and platters out etc. It will be me and one, maybe two small dogs with a chair.

* It must allow the breeze to flow. I have the silver puppy mesh sides already.

* Price wise, I'll pay what I need to pay, but I'm not looking for something to last me for 10 years. I might trial and hate it!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Oz Trail deluxe compact.

I have a dodgy back and stuffed shoulder but can put it up easily on my own. I just take my time and often people will help you. I recommend the deluxe compact cause it has thicker legs and roof "bits". I always peg it down and use the guy ropes no matter if it is as still as anything.

The Oz Trail compact is smaller and lighter but I went with the deluxe compact cause I can't afford to buy new ones too often and I figure it will last longer. It fits in my Mazda 323 hatchback in the back with the seat down.

ETA, if you find you hate it you would have no trouble selling it on. I can have it in the back of my car and still fit the two greyhounds in with it.

Edited by Rebanne

Second the Oztrail but I have the cheapy standard version :p

I trial by myself majority of the time, so put it up and down by myself all the time and once you learn a good system you can do it easily in 10 minutes (or even quicker if you are in a rush!)

Comes on wheels which is good, it can be a bit heavy putting it in and out of the car at the end of a long tiring day but not unbearably heavy :)

If you want to be truly independant and you don't need to much room, why not a umbrella that has a stake hammered in the ground, then a 'umbrella tent' thrown over the top, which is also pegged into the ground. So easy to handle by yourself and up in seconds!

I also recommend the Oztrail Compact - I have the standard one like TO, and have no problems putting it up and down and lugging it around by myself - to help put it out I peg one corner of the frame and pull/lift the opposite leg.

As said if you do find you hate it it wouldn't be hard to find a crazy dog person to buy it :laugh:

If you want to be truly independant and you don't need to much room, why not a umbrella that has a stake hammered in the ground, then a 'umbrella tent' thrown over the top, which is also pegged into the ground. So easy to handle by yourself and up in seconds!

I found it very hard with my shoulder problems to throw the tent over the umbrella.

Not sure what area you are in Megan, but I bought mine from Hastings Camping as Sway got a good deal through them.

I got my gazebo and 2 sides much cheaper than everywhere else (though I can't remember how much now :o)

Hopefully Sway checks the thread and can let you know if that 'deal' is still good :)

Deal is still good :thumbsup:

$149 for an Oztrail Compact

$199 for an Oztrail Deluxe

Hastings Camping and Outdoors - ask for Reece and tell him I sent you.

66 High St

HASTINGS,

VIC, 3915

(03) 5979 2858

He even drops it off at KCC for free.

Mine is a compact (2.4m) one that came from Big W - same style as an Oztrail compact. Was $120, is easy for me to put up and take down alone, and has wheels on the case so really easy to pull around - drag with one hand with dog lead in the other and chair & soft crate over the shoulder. :D

Fits in the car well and is handy for BBQs at home in the backyard and extra space when camping as well. So if you start trialling and hate it is won't go to waste!

Thanks. Another question: Where do people get their shade cloth (aluminet) from? I can get it from cleanrun and, given the amount of stuff I buy from there the shipping won't be too great - so it will be about $60 per cloth. Is this reasonable? What size do people get (2.4m is just over 7 ft 10 in and the next size up is 7 ft 12 in).

I have two 7x8 foot Cool puppy mesh walls from Cleanrun - one fits perfectly as a wall (using ball bungees - see picture - get some they are handy - Bunnings sells them in packs for cheap) the other one fits but it's a bit more of a stretch :laugh: I don't know why they are slightly different, they are the same brand ordered at the same time.

9BallBungee.jpeg

With regard to first question on topic of shade etc, if you are new to showing then what I did was go with my breeder a few times and shared her gazebo, took a look around at all the various shade ideas etc.

I was already competing in agility comps and had acquired from oztrail direct manufacture which is based close to where I live in Brisbane so for a 2.4X2.4 oztrail compact which has 3 leg setting and steel not flimsy aluminium frame (seen alot of these buckle when forced etc)$179 at the time see website online http://www.theshadecentre.com.au/

When folded it is only 90cm long so fits into boots of small sedan, easy to manage etc and there is a trick to putting them up and closing if doing by yourself, PM me if you get one and I will go through steps.

Often conformation shows I go to by time I unload everything, 3 hours later then is pack up go home so got a bit fed up with all the hassle so have now invested in larger vehicle 4WD wagon roof racks with new roll out awning http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Sunseeker-Awning_57.aspx there are many different brands around including oztrail which is cheapest at moment. Easy as just roll up park and pull it out my current gazebo sides including the reflective sides also can be attached if needed and if the rain comes down no problem.