Grain Free Dry Food... Which Do You Think Is Best Value For Money?

westiemum

http://hypropetcare.com.au/our-brands/dogpro/28

Link to ingredients. It does talk of whole grain... Which might

Be better than processed as in flour.

Thanks voloclydes - interesting food that I certainly haven't come across before. As you say although its whole grain I'd still be wary for my guys, my girl in particular. But I'm sure others will find it attractive at that price. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in grain free alternatives. My girl gets yeasty ears but since being on Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain Free, touch wood we haven't had a flare up. It costs me $90 for 12kg though, a bit pricey :( Even though that is already at a discount! Want to keep her on grain free but interested to see what alternatives are out there :)

Holistic Select have a grain-free version of their Salmon, Sardine & Anchovy formula, which became available in the US last November...

I'm not sure when it becomes available in Australia, though... I think it takes two years to get here/to go through our strict AQIS requirements (that's what they told me at TOTW).

Sorry but that info re the 2 years / AQIS is absolute rubbish. Artemis released there 3 new Grain Free products in the USA in Sept 2012 and the first shipment arrived here on 4th Jan 2013.

Guest Labradork

I'd be interested in grain free alternatives. My girl gets yeasty ears but since being on Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain Free, touch wood we haven't had a flare up. It costs me $90 for 12kg though, a bit pricey :( Even though that is already at a discount! Want to keep her on grain free but interested to see what alternatives are out there :)

Holistic Select have a grain-free version of their Salmon, Sardine & Anchovy formula, which became available in the US last November...

I'm not sure when it becomes available in Australia, though... I think it takes two years to get here/to go through our strict AQIS requirements (that's what they told me at TOTW).

Sorry but that info re the 2 years / AQIS is absolute rubbish. Artemis released there 3 new Grain Free products in the USA in Sept 2012 and the first shipment arrived here on 4th Jan 2013.

Okay, thanks :)

I didn't like dealing with the TOTW people at all, so that doesn't surprise me.

OK - as an experiment Sarah has been having 1/4 cup of VIP Grain free twice a day for a week as of today - and so far so good. She's not scratching as much, poo is good, wolfs it down... How are others finding it? I'll report back again in a couple of days or if there is any change. :)

OK - as an experiment Sarah has been having 1/4 cup of VIP Grain free twice a day for a week as of today - and so far so good. She's not scratching as much, poo is good, wolfs it down... How are others finding it? I'll report back again in a couple of days or if there is any change. :)

Are you using the chicken or game one? I've been trying the wild game for my cavalier and he is pooing like crazy! I'm not sure whether to bother trying the chicken one or not.

Are you using the chicken or game one? I've been trying the wild game for my cavalier and he is pooing like crazy! I'm not sure whether to bother trying the chicken one or not.

Ah - but is it only chicken or game in there? I wish I could be more confident of the meat source - and what exactly is classified as "game"?

All of mine are still doing well. No problems what so ever.

Both varieties of it.

As most of you would be aware I show my dogs and they are thriving on it and winning.

Yep my two greyhounds are going great guns. I put a friend of mine onto it who also has a grey and had tried all the premium foods over the last two years and he is finally doing firm poos :) The biscuits in the chicken one are too small for Stan the scoffer so I only feed the game one.

Ah - but is it only chicken or game in there? I wish I could be more confident of the meat source - and what exactly is classified as "game"?

Yeah I know, they're very vague. They mention duck and poultry but then "meat meal" twice.

V.I.P (Nauture's Goodness) is ONLY stocked at Woolies, and not Coles. I have been using it for a while now, the dog's like it, and I have found thier skin has improved once again. I have had NO issues what so ever, and I use the Chicken one, as mine find the game one a bit too big for thier delicate little mouths - lol.

I was using Black Hawk, which I found quite good price wise, but a breeder I know who has been in dogs for EVER, has scared me off it - she has said that they used to use rosemary when they wanted thier bitches to abort thier pups, or miss a period. I can't find any good evidence to support him, and I have contacted Black Hawk who has assured me that there is no risk from the rosemary and rosemary extract within the food, but I had a dog who aborted her pups quite late stage while on it, and now Im far too scared to stick with it. But the dogs LOVED Black Hawk, and it was really good value for money.

I was looking for an alternative because once I put the furbabies back onto grain food (Proplan) they went itchy, itchy, itchy. I know the Nature's Goodness is not the best option, but it is alot cheaper than the others out there, and seeing I have a number of dogs, and Ive recently been sick I need value for money.

Edited by dogsaremyworld

Yeah I know, they're very vague. They mention duck and poultry but then "meat meal" twice.

Apparently the meat source in the chicken one is only chicken and duck :)