Bark Lane?

the Rescue group maintains full control over the selling of the animals, I wouldn't go along with it.

Yes, the AWL Qld's scheme seems to have done that, starting with signage on the section with their rescue dogs & cats.... 'AWL Qld Adoption Centre'. They control how the accommodation is designed, how stimulation is given & how the adoptions are done.

The pet store role is host, on-site facilitator & contributor to resources.

Just my opinion, but if I were a Sydney rescue group contacting Bark Lane, I'd suggest BL gets in touch with the friendly folk at AWL Q'ld as they might benefit from their experience.

Incidentally, the AWL Adoption Centre at our local store, also had attractive big posters for greyhound adoption (Friends of the Hound) around the dog accommodation.

So there's also a role for pet supply stores to provide information about rescue & groups.

Edited by mita

For rescue groups they've contacted, I wonder if they've passed on their apparently vigorous screening procedures? Or are rescues to agree to stock their pet shop without knowing how their pets are going to be sold?

Edited by Sheridan

For rescue groups they've contacted, I wonder if they've passed on their apparently vigorous screening procedures? Or are rescues to agree to stock their pet shop without knowing how their pets are going to be sold?

Hi Sheridan, I did ask this on the FB page but got a reply that all will be made public when the shop is completed. :confused:

The concept is good if it is done the right way, but I can't see that it is any different from going to an actual rescue organisation. IMO I can't see a lot of rescues allowing their dogs to be cared for by strangers in a retail environment.

Hi Sheridan, I did ask this on the FB page but got a reply that all will be made public when the shop is completed. :confused:

The concept is good if it is done the right way, but I can't see that it is any different from going to an actual rescue organisation. IMO I can't see a lot of rescues allowing their dogs to be cared for by strangers in a retail environment.

I've scrolled through the FB page and saw that your question was easily deflected, schnauzer :)

Anyone can post on the FB page, so questions can be asked there instead of making negative assumptions here. I would hope that rescue groups would contact the person (Lucy Edmonson) direct to try to get down to the nitty gritty of her intentions and in the process perhaps iron out any glitches that seasoned rescuers can see.

Anything that aids and assists the rescue community, needs to be encouraged and supported, as long, of course, as in the background aren't any activities that cancel out the good.

Opening day is approximately 3 months from mid-December.

At this early stage, I would hope that people don't start off being judgemental and assuming the worst.

I've scrolled through the FB page and saw that your question was easily deflected, schnauzer :)

Anyone can post on the FB page, so questions can be asked there instead of making negative assumptions here. I would hope that rescue groups would contact the person (Lucy Edmonson) direct to try to get down to the nitty gritty of her intentions and in the process perhaps iron out any glitches that seasoned rescuers can see.

Anything that aids and assists the rescue community, needs to be encouraged and supported, as long, of course, as in the background aren't any activities that cancel out the good.

At this early stage, I would hope that people don't start off being judgemental and assuming the worst.

As I said it is a good concept if done the right way and agree that any promotion of rescue is great. As I said in an earlier post would be good if they came onto the forum and explain how it will work.

As I said it is a good concept if done the right way and agree that any promotion of rescue is great. As I said in an earlier post would be good if they came onto the forum and explain how it will work.

I think they just need to do that on their FB. DOL isn't the be all and end all of rescue, and their concept and practice intentions could be everything rescue could hope for, but there would be those on DOL who would want to bring them down. Cynical? Yes. :cry:

In their position, I'd be staying away from DOL.

I am neither for or against the concept.It is not one I am familiar with. I felt it would work better with a large ethical rescue organisation who can guide them in the right direction. One geographically placed close to the shop if possible . There are quite a few rescues over that way.

I am curious too to see how this would work. I know there are plenty of small and large rescue groups that effectively have an assigned area inside a pet supplies store where they can operate their adoption process and have animals available to meet, but the process of adoption is exactly the same as if the person attended the shelter -- it's mainly about making the animals more accessible to meet!

Wait and see. So far the info isn't much, they might just be ironing out the details.

OT

I've always thought it would be clever to have petrescue internet kiosks in pet supply stores. So people could see the listings and get a bit inspired to add another pet.

OT

I've always thought it would be clever to have petrescue internet kiosks in pet supply stores. So people could see the listings and get a bit inspired to add another pet.

That is a great idea! Maybe something PetRescue could approach with places like Petbarn. One of our carers works at Petbarn and is regularly telling people where to look if they want to adopt.