Something I Noticed When I Was In The Usa

HugUrPup

I just got back from the US and while I was there I noticed comparatively that Victorians aren't really dog lovers at all.

Over there dogs are welcome everywhere. They were being checked in at the airports in the same section as people unlike here where they are taken to the postal section and crated. They were welcome in clothing stores, gift shops, supermarkets, restaurants etc etc

Walking around a place called Carmel in LA, almost everyone had a dog with them.

In Victoria it's rare to find shops that allow dogs. You don't see many being walked in the city streets and there are "no dogs" signs everywhere. I didn't see a single no dogs allowed sign anywhere the entire 3 weeks I was in the USA.

I'm not sure what it's like around the rest of Australia, but here in Vic it's just not as dog friendly as I would like it to be.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs aren't very welcome in my little city, but I find it not uncommon to see them lying with owners at cafes, and I often take my boy to the outside seating area of McDonalds and treat him to a soft serve, everyone usually wants to say hello, including staff.

Edited to add - I have actually googled the friendliest dog countries and cities, and in the USA there's a city (who's name has escaped me) that actually has a annual festival for dogs!

Edited by t a i l s.

I just got back from the US and while I was there I noticed comparatively that Victorians aren't really dog lovers at all.

Over there dogs are welcome everywhere. They were welcome in clothing stores, gift shops, supermarkets, restaurants etc etc

Walking around a place called Carmel in LA, almost everyone had a dog with them.

I

Your post made me curious so I googled Carmel's town website. Sure backs what you've said. They happily say their town's one of the most dog-friendly in the world & that the dogs are welcomed into all sorts of places.

http://www.carmelcalifornia.com/index.cfm/carmel_dog_calendar.htm

I often see dogs chained up outside shops while their owners go inside, but in the US they take their dogs in with them and it's welcomed.

I even have a photo of a gift shop with a sign saying.. no food, no drinks, no strollers.. dogs welcome :lol:

Yes, I find that too, and I visit the USA nearly every year or two.

Amazing the number of hotels/motels that permit dogs, with a charge, but nevertheles, if you are a travelling dog owner, you can find somewhere to stay overnight.In Australia you would be hard pushed to do so, without a lot of pre planning, and a lot of it is homestay or caravan parks.

I found similar in the UK.Many more dogs around, and in villages a good deal of support for local shelters and rescue.

I've given up taking my little dog out with me much. Its OK if you just plan to go have coffee and know a place where dogs are OK outside but you can't do anything spontaneous if you have the dog with you like look at a shop that catches your eye or stop off at the supermarket and pick something up. I've noticed a few parks even ban dogs on weekends :(

Carmel is a lovely place - I remember going there years ago - it was where Clint Eastwood was mayor for a while.

Big dogs go in the hold & little dogs as well if not traveling with someone .

But the difference is dog owners over there respect more things,dogs are crate trained as many places will only take them in crates & no one thinks twice ,here people have a hissy fit when crating is mentioned .

Here people don't give a stuff about rules even many DOLERS think there entitled to have dogs offleash etc etc.

I often see dogs chained up outside shops while their owners go inside, but in the US they take their dogs in with them and it's welcomed.

I even have a photo of a gift shop with a sign saying.. no food, no drinks, no strollers.. dogs welcome :lol:

Sweden is the same, very very doggy friendly even in cafe's & restaurants :D , in fact most of Europe is doggy friendly, they even have water bowls ready for your furkifds when you arrive & sit down :D

*sigh* Does anyone have any experience with Nord countries? Specifically Finland for dog friendliness? I'll be attending the 2014 World Dog Show next year, and I've read pets are usually accepted in most hotels for a fee - the weather would be extreme during winters and most pets would have to live inside. I wish Australia cared as much as everywhere* else seems too.

* not necessarily everywhere :o

Makes me want to move countries. I don't know of anywhere as dog friendly as what I have heard about the US and the UK. I'm in Queensland and while there are a few spots where people take their dogs out more often, I don't know many places at all where they are dog friendly enough to let them into shops etc. It's a shame - dogs would be better behaved if they had access to more places.

*sigh* Does anyone have any experience with Nord countries? Specifically Finland for dog friendliness? I'll be attending the 2014 World Dog Show next year, and I've read pets are usually accepted in most hotels for a fee - the weather would be extreme during winters and most pets would have to live inside. I wish Australia cared as much as everywhere* else seems too.

I'm not sure how welcome they are inside but Finns love their dogs!! I would imagine they would be more welcome than here. I'm quickly starting to question how great this country is to live in with regards to quite a few things.

Yes recently my friend in the USA & her 2 daughters flew from Wisconsin to Palm springs for the Nationals Specialty Aussie terrier show...they brought 3 of their Aussies with them, which all travelled in the cabin with them, 1 dog per person, & they stayed in a hotel for 5 nights which allowed the dogs to stay in their room too! :)

All my friends Aussies are crate trained.

I'm not sure how welcome they are inside but Finns love their dogs!! I would imagine they would be more welcome than here. I'm quickly starting to question how great this country is to live in with regards to quite a few things.

I've been thinking the same thing for quite awhile myself.