When Is The Appropriate Age To Give A Puppy Raw Meat?

Catarina

I'm just surprised people don't do research before giving their dogs new foods (ie: people shocked that dogs can't have grapes). And are vets not educating people? When I took my pup to the vet for her first check-up when I got them the vet verbally discussed foods that dogs couldn't have, and also gave me an information sheet, even though she knew I'd done all my research and knew what human foods could be toxic.

I also got it with my second pup, which makes me think it's their standard protocol.

I supply a toxic food and plant list in my puppy pack with all puppies that leave me. Of course the list may not be a 100% complete, but it does certainly include the most common foods and plants to be wary of. The plant document also has photographs of the plants in and out of flower.

I'm just surprised people don't do research before giving their dogs new foods (ie: people shocked that dogs can't have grapes). And are vets not educating people? When I took my pup to the vet for her first check-up when I got them the vet verbally discussed foods that dogs couldn't have, and also gave me an information sheet, even though she knew I'd done all my research and knew what human foods could be toxic.

I also got it with my second pup, which makes me think it's their standard protocol.

You cant expect people to know these things, well not about natural foods at least. Vets are rarely going to go into depth about diet when you take a pup in for a vaccination and often they dont give the best advice on dietitics i.e give eukanaba or hills science its the best food and we sell it and dont feed raw or the dog could choke

You cant expect people to know these things, well not about natural foods at least. Vets are rarely going to go into depth about diet when you take a pup in for a vaccination and often they dont give the best advice on dietitics i.e give eukanaba or hills science its the best food and we sell it and dont feed raw or the dog could choke

I expect people to know what can kill their dog, otherwise they don't deserve to have one IMO.

a dog's digestive system is designed to consume raw meat and if i had the chance, i'd certainly be weening a pup onto a raw diet.

i feed both my dogs and one cat predominantly raw, supplemented with some dry and every 4 or 5 days, i serve a portion or 2 of nature's gift [adopting a balance over time routine because i can't provide a true prey model diet].

i learned once that a raw recipe should comprise 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% muscle/offal [1:1 or 5% muscle, 5% offal].

since then, i've learned that at best 12% of that should include pulped greens [this while researching feeding raw to cats]!

lately, i've read that a raw chicken neck is the absolute BEST 'bone to meat [including fat] ratio' you can provide your dog.

over time, i've put together what i consider to be a pretty good, well balanced raw diet that accommodates cats [obligate carnivores] and dogs [because i have both] and to that basic raw mix i incorporate additional pulpled veg [roughly 1:1 raw:veg] to keep my dogs' condition in good order.

Do not feed you SBT hard, weight bearing bones at any age. It's the quickest way to wear down their teeth and also fracture them. Stick to the softer consumable bone with the meet on such as chicken carcass, necks, wings or even 1/4 or half chooks, rabbits, lamb flap, lamb necks (whole) pieces of roo tail, brisket.

Staffords enjoy chewing things and have very powerful jaws, they are incessant chewers and it's often to the detriment of their teeth.

pups can eat raw from the minute they get off their mums booby. It's the pet food companies that have frightened us that raw meat is somehow dangerous. I know plenty of breeders that give their pups raw bones to crawl all over and gnaw from the minute they can and none of them have come to harm. Raw will always be best.

pups can eat raw from the minute they get off their mums booby. It's the pet food companies that have frightened us that raw meat is somehow dangerous. I know plenty of breeders that give their pups raw bones to crawl all over and gnaw from the minute they can and none of them have come to harm. Raw will always be best.

My current babies hit the raw meet before their eyes even opened. Their mother needed a boost so she had a couple of days of red meat, chicken necks and chicken hearts and the pups found what was in her bowl. The first thing they ate as a solid was raw mince and they are now 6 weeks and having necks and mince. I chucked RMB's in there last week and they sucked and chewed what they could.