A Question About Ear Hygeine

Hi Everyone, hoping some one here can help - one of my dogs has quite moist ears - the fluid is almost clear and the ear doesn't smell - but they are intermittently scratching the ear, and when I try to clean it, it seems to annoy the dog. He normally does not have an issue with me cleaning his ears, and is quite stoic about things. When I put something in the ear to clean it, even a little way, it comes out soaked, and most of the time completely clear, but sometimes has a slight brown tinge to it.

I'm not sure what to do - I have been using Epi-Optic to try and dry the ear, but it doesn't seem to be helping, and Im actually concerned it might of made it worse. There is no wax build up at all, and as I said the ear does not smell at all. The ear doesn't appear any different to the opposite one, which he is not concerned about me cleaning at all. Should I just take him to the vet, or does anyone have any suggestions about what may be wrong?

Another question, what do you guys use to clean the ears when they are a bit wet. The idea of putting a liquid in an ear to dry it seems a bit odd to me, but that is what our vet told us to use, and maybe I don't understand. I have heard of powders that dry the ear, but cannot find them anywhere for sale. What do you guys do..........

Tintin has seriously hairy ears. He was constantly having problems. I though the same as you re the epi otic. It seemed a but odd to be using moisture to clear it up. I contacted his breeder who told me about Thornit powder. I bought it a couple of months ago and, so far, his ears are clear. He doesn't fuss over them any more at all. He must be so much more comfortable.

I got mine from Whelping Supplies.

Hi, I'd go to the vets just so they can at least have a look in to make sure there is nothing in there, it is possible it could be a grass seed especially at this time of the year. Or the beginnings of an infection.

I use oti clean for my guys about one a month and always after swimming, I totally fill the ear canal swish it from the outside then pat the inside a little so the ears are not swimming with liquid. My guys all tolerate this as I have done it from them being youngsters. My oldest dog had a severe ear problem when he was young resulting in two perforated ear drums. (The vets have no idea why this occured) So I have been ever vigilant will all of them ever since. The vets always comments that they have never seen dogs with such clean ears so it is obviously working. We still have the odd infection (rarely) and also have had the odd grass seed which has been quickly removed.

I usually have a bottle of surolan in the fridge and if I suspect any if mine getting an infection a few drops for a coupled days puts it at bay, I do this on the vets advice only if I'm sure there is no foreign body in the ear.

Good luck with getting your boy sorted.

Edited to add I also pluck my youngest boys ears slightly as they are hairy just to let enough air circulate so as not to,leave a moist environment, I leave enough there so that if a grass seed goes in I can possibly have time to get it out before it travels past the hair on the way in.

Edited by tlc

epi otic is useless & doesn't dry there ears .

The only thing its good for is wounds & it isn't a product we would use for ear maintenance.

If its getting moist ears then there is an issue.

A good ear doesn't just get moist .

We have used the Thornit powder with great success though

Thornit is for ear mites, wax build up, smelly ears, plucking of hairs in the ears

It is best used when applied with a small makeup type brush to help it to be spread evenly, more of dusted inside the ear then just dropped inside the ear.

Just remember that feet are often used to scratch ears and can often re-infect the ears unless treated at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie seems to be having trouble with one ear. He rubs it in the carpet and me and leans on me to rub it. Vet checked inside and said they were ok but it's still continuing. He walks with his head tilted to that side and I know it's NOT OKAY. I put Surolan in and have pulled out hairs and searched in and around ears and cannot see or feel anything. But it's bothering him. The way he walks with his head tilted is same as when he had tonsillitis. I've called vet again and not much suggestion.

Guys definitely talk to your vets about ears!

Ear cleaner will not help if there is infection or a foreign body.

Also ear cleaner and most antibiotics can cause serious damage if the tympanic membrane/ear drum is ruptured. If the dog has a head tilt at all, NEVER use ear cleaners or antibiotics - see your vet.

Ear cleaners are great for maintence - but I have seen the results of long standing ear infections, and it is not good.

Itchy ears and itchy feet is more likely a whole body allergy/atopy issue. Ears are an extension of the skin so itchy dogs often have itchy ears, but it's always worth checking out.

Epiotic contains propylene glycol 30-40% a type of antifreeze so do a lot of other commercial products. The best thing to use would be malaseb though imagine it also has some PG content it's probably diluted down a fair bit in water. I just rub a little around the entrance to external ear canal when washing my dogs and rinse really well then gently dry the canal with paper towels. You can make a solution of 1 part malaseb to 30-40 parts water and flush the ear but I just find it easier to do whilst bathing them. If your after something pre made years ago we used to use leo ear cleaner with great success and no problems it's also quite drying as for PG content I don't know. They've begun remaking it again Kleo : http://www.pharmachem.com.au/products/listing/kleo.html but if the canal is already partially compromised I wouldn't try anything other than antibiotics or possibly malaseb or pyohex.

Edited by bingo