I Shouldn't Feed Turkey To My Dogs

sheena

Yes, I would think they perhaps are talking about cooked seasoned turkey. I feed my GSD who has stomach issues turkey mince and turkey necks as she can't have chicken, beef or lamb. She has been fine and the vet said it was good too. Turkey mince from the supermarket, human grade is meant to be fairly lean which is why it works for our pooch.

love to know where that butcher is kazads.... woolworths is a bit expensive really

I never buy meat from woolies, they are always double the price of any butchers I can find.

Unfortunately, when you live in a rural area, you don't have much choice. Woolies is the only place/butcher in our region that I can get it from. I don't mind paying Woolies prices for it...I am only glad that they stock it :) I rarely buy my meat from Woolies as I have a wholesale butcher I get our meat from, or we cut up our own cow...it's just turkey necks from Woolies.

I don't see why they warn off turkey because of it's fat content, you have to add fat to it to stop it drying out. It's quite a lean meat as it's more a game bird then a 'chicken'. Remember too most turkeys cooked have a heap of butter and fat shoved between the skin and meat as well as in the stuffing, that increases the fat content as well as the spices. That's probably where the warning comes from, not from the animal itself which, like most of our eating animals, are slaughtered as babies.

I'm glad this isn't true - our butcher had turkey thighs, wings and legs for $1/kg last week so I bought about 30kg! My dogs have always struggled with bones but interestingly the turkey wings stayed down when I tried them last week, so I'm thrilled

Desperately wishing we had a bigger freezer though!

Raw turkey should be fine, it is actually my preference over chicken. I have a local butcher who charges $1.99 kilo for turkey wings and thighs, cheap as chips and one wing does my 70kg dane for brekkie!!!

I'm glad this isn't true - our butcher had turkey thighs, wings and legs for $1/kg last week so I bought about 30kg! My dogs have always struggled with bones but interestingly the turkey wings stayed down when I tried them last week, so I'm thrilled

Desperately wishing we had a bigger freezer though!

Whoa, can I ask where abouts these butchers are?!

Edited by mel_