Dog Barking When Alone

Sail_Away

Hi DOLers,

I've just been told by my neighbours that my 5.5 month old pup barks non stop when we are not home frown.gif This has really upset me and I know she barks when we leave but it hasn't been as 'constant' lately and when we come home all is quiet and she is sitting on her bed and doesn't looked stressed at all - compared with the first few weeks we left her when very young. I give her lots of toys, kings etc and treats which I hide but she doesn't eat any of them until we get home!

Just wondering whether anyone has got a cat to keep their dog company or would that not do anything? I was thinking of getting a cat at some point anyway but thought it may be good as company for my dog?

Any thoughts much appreciated, I want this fixed asap.

I don't think a cat would help.

Some dogs will bark because of something they can see, hear, or smell that is exciting or threatening. Some dogs bark for attention, and some bark out of boredom.

Can you set up a video camera to see what is triggering her barking?

Guest crickets

I had this problem with my recently adopted second dog.

my original dog was quiet as a mouse but the new one liked to bark mostly at things happening in the near environment, and only when I wasn't home. When I am home they are both excellent and virtually never make a bark.

When my neighbours told me I was very worried as I am away from home for 10-12 hrs a day 4 days a week. The dogs have free access to the house via the doggy door when I'm away from home but Bobby was rushing outside and barking at stuff. I am away too long to crate them indoors and I am not about to rely on other people letting them out during the day.

Anyway, after some consideration, I invested in a ultra sonic bark collar for the barker dog, and also a stationary ultra sonic device for in the house. Basically when the collar or the stationary device detects barking it emits a high pitched noise designed to distract the dogs barking.

So far it has worked well for me. Bobby is fairly sensitive though, only needing mild correction to send him skulking away. For a determined dog this solution may not work.

As for the cat, If you were going to get one anyway, then I guess it can't hurt....as long as your dog is cat friendly of course! If I got a cat my dogs would bark at it until they caught it and expired it!!

Some dogs will bark because of something they can see, hear, or smell that is exciting or threatening. Some dogs bark for attention, and some bark out of boredom.

She is barking because we are not home… possibly leading into separation anxiety… I give her lots of different treats, hide them, kongs, toys and she has access inside and part of outside but she won't eat or play with any of them until we get home…. I wondered whether a cat would be seen as 'company' and possibly lower her stress levels of being alone?

She is barking because we are not home… possibly leading into separation anxiety… I give her lots of different treats, hide them, kongs, toys and she has access inside and part of outside but she won't eat or play with any of them until we get home…. I wondered whether a cat would be seen as 'company' and possibly lower her stress levels of being alone?

How do you know she's barking because you aren't home, if you aren't home to see what she's doing? There might be a bird outside that she's barking at, or neighborhood noises, or anything?

I wouldn't be dramatic and jump straight to SA just because she's barking.

How do you know she's barking because you aren't home, if you aren't home to see what she's doing? There might be a bird outside that she's barking at, or neighborhood noises, or anything?

The neighbours just told me she is barking. And it hasn't been just a once off.

The neighbours just told me she is barking. And it hasn't been just a once off.

But barking doesn't automatically mean seperation anxiety. Someone suggested setting up a webcam, or camera, to see what is setting her barking off, which sounds like a good idea. Find out the root cause before rushing to fix an unknown problem :)

I have a barker. He likes the sound of his own voice. He doesn't have separation anxiety. If a leaf moves in the yard and I'm not home, he barks. If a bird lands near the window, he barks. If he barks, it makes him bark. etc. He's weird, not anxious.

Edited by minimax

Barking alot to a neighbour may be 10 mins .

I agree don't jump on the SA bandwagon ,its used to describe all issues these days .

Liek already mentioned you need to see what she is abrking at,how much barking she is doing & at what time frames.

Does the neighbour go to the fence to tell pup off ??

Some what ifs .

Does pup spend alone time outside when you home?? & if so what does she do .

Pick a weekend & do a test run get dressed & do the whole leave & then walk home & sit somewhere quietly to see what happens,if it takes you a few hrs so be it .

What activities do you do with pup during the week,is pup inside or when you go to work ??

She never barks at birds, cats or anything coming from outside - she is a gundog and I'm not sure if it's the breed but she is quiet when 'stalking' or chasing things - including leaves etc.

I don't think the neighbour would have come to the fence, she is not really in sight from there place where she stays during the day anyway (we are on a corner block). It has been two different neighbours in the street mention it - not sounding too annoyed - but saying it is non stop for about an hour, then rest 10 mins then goes again the whole time! I honestly think if this is happening that she is just barking into thin air…

I like the video idea - I only have my camera though and don't think it would stay on that long… should I set up an actual video surveillance thing? But if she is in fact not barking at anything in particular and I know this through the video, I still need to sort out how to fix this. I do give her alone time when we are at home, I think I will go out and park across the street and listen also. I might also up the exercise before we leave although it is a HIGH energy breed and she doesn't get exhausted very easily. Exercise has been not as much lately due to the weather here in Qld… We were out 8 hours last night until 10pm and apparently not a peep out of her! (per the neighbours) - Not sure if I'm just imagining it but she actually barks more when I am the last one to leave the house and doesn't so much if I go first and the other family member is home but goes an hour later etc.. worse if she is alone and 'I've' left her…??confused.gif

What sort of training do you do with her, mental/brain training? Upping the exercise isn't always the answer, but sometimes upping the mental exercise is, especially if she's still only young.

She is 5.5 months old. We start obedience training this week… I spend 10 minutes a day sometimes a few times a day doing commands - sit, drop, come, stay etc. I also hide toys and get her to find them….

What sort of training do you do with her, mental/brain training? Upping the exercise isn't always the answer, but sometimes upping the mental exercise is, especially if she's still only young.

She is 5.5 months old. We start obedience training this week… I spend 10 minutes a day sometimes a few times a day doing commands - sit, drop, come, stay etc. I also hide toys and get her to find them….

If I had a high energy dog I would have been doing a bit more than that, especially before leaving her in the mornings. Maybe doing obedience, and then carrying over some of that training at home will help tire her out and settle her more.

If I had a high energy dog I would have been doing a bit more than that, especially before leaving her in the mornings. Maybe doing obedience, and then carrying over some of that training at home will help tire her out and settle her more.

Well I do more leash free exercise with her every day. She gets between 1-2 hours/day but the 'obedience training' doesn't really help much with her, she needs to run. She gets so tired after she has been out for a walk but as soon as we get ready to leave she is very alert again.

up to 2 hrs a day of exercise is not that good for a 5 1/2 month old pup. And if nothing else it just make her fitter. Mental exercise is very tiring. Teach her tricks. Tricks include sit, come etc alongside high fives. Throw in some scent discrimination, retrieving, hide and seek items.

I don't think you should discount the SA yet though but you do want to investigate everything. The fact she doesn't eat her food treats while you are away could be a SA sign.

I think you should invest in a consult with a veterinary behaviorist to know for sure and they will suggest how to go about fixing this problem. Being only 5.5 months if you get on top of it quick with the right advice it doesnt have to become a lifelong problem.

With that much exercise .... she may just be 'wired' and want MORE :(

I too suggest getting a recommended behaviourist/trainer to be with you on this one - and no, I do not consider it overkill , what with neighbours, councils etc.

That seems an awful lot of running for a puppy - and I also agree with MUCH more mental gymnastics - honestly that will relax her .

Think of kids at school ..or yourself at work .

What tires you/them more ? Exams/learning new and complicated things? Or a staff picnic/fun run/brisk walk ?

I bet it's the extra brainwork .

Dogs are the same .When they have to concentrate...put their body into certain positions/learn things/carry out commands ...it's WORK .. :)

I also would REMOVE all food when you get home - I feel she sees you coming home as some signal that she is OK to eat .... a reward for her day alone .. it has become a habit , and MAY be a reason she barks -- she is anxiously waiting for you to come home so she can eat ;) maybe....

I would suggest she learns that being alone is her cue to eat - and what better way, than being HUNGRY!

So NO food or treats when you are home of an evening etc , until she gets hungry enough to eat what is left for her .It should only take a day or two ..especially if you poke a bit of peanut butter , or liver treat, or roast chicken in her Kong/Bowl before you leave :D

being alone is GREAT , as the treats are there to be found & eaten :)

This. If she is a Viszla then you should have been made aware by the breeder that she will need a LOT of stimulation. If she was a WORKING gun dog, she would be doing long and possibly unseen retrieves by now. She would have been taught to come, sit, stay, lie down, stay while you are out of sight, stay while you are doing things within her field of vision, possibly some direction cues and so on. Also all these commands via whistle.

Physical exercise is not what she needs right now, the more you run her the more fit she will get and the more she will demand. Your dog seems to be bored sh*tless by the sound of things and you need to start teaching her and demanding more brain exercises from her now before she gets older (and bigger and thinks of things to do other than bark to relieve boredom) :)

What activities were you planning on doing with her to replace the full time job of being a gun dog? I do hope your breeder spoke to you about these things

Edited by BlackJaq

This. If she is a Viszla then you should have been made aware by the breeder that she will need a LOT of stimulation. If she was a WORKING gun dog, she would be doing long and possibly unseen retrieves by now. She would have been taught to come, sit, stay, lie down, stay while you are out of sight, stay while you are doing things within her field of vision, possibly some direction cues and so on. Also all these commands via whistle.

Physical exercise is not what she needs right now, the more you run her the more fit she will get and the more she will demand. Your dog seems to be bored sh*tless by the sound of things and you need to start teaching her and demanding more brain exercises from her now before she gets older (and bigger and thinks of things to do other than bark to relieve boredom) :)

What activities were you planning on doing with her to replace the full time job of being a gun dog? I do hope your breeder spoke to you about these things

Yes she is a Vizsla. I am fully aware of their energy levels and stimulation requirements before I got her and I did ALOT of research and it was a decision I did not enter into lightly. I waited a year for this dog and do not feel I should be scrutinised for how I am caring for her. I would do anything for my dog hence why I am asking some advice on this forum rather than turning a blind eye. When I say up to 2 hours exercise this is rare and excessive I know but only happens if I take her on a play date with another V. I do not run with her or force her to go on a brisk walk. It is usually down the beach, off leash, throwing a ball. I sit down sometimes and she has a dig in the sand, plays with other dogs, and I also practice recalls and stays etc. Average time I would be out is 45 minutes sometimes an hour. I am also well aware that pups should not be overexercised but I want to stress that I monitor her closely when out and go home when she starts to tire. I know many other V owners who do exactly the same as me, all with similar aged dogs.

I start obedience formally this week. I hope to trial in this eventually and when she is old enough do agility and flyball. I may look at tracking later on to. I am a nursing student and want to incorporate therapy work when she is matured more - companies such as 'Story dogs' and visiting aged care/disability patients is my goal. So as you can see I don't just have a high energy breed I plan to do nothing with. I am wanting to give her the best life possible. My breeder is fantastic and I got this pup at 8 weeks so she has no previous hunting experience. Her lines do come from some of the most successful V's in this country though so you could say it is in her blood.