Springer Spaniel Needs Temp Care

Can anyone help Ziggy for 8 weeks I received this email from Elaine and have spoken to her and she is beside herself, obviously Ziggy is not coping with the changes going on around him and the people looking after him for Elaine cannot do it any more so Elaine needs to find someone to look after him for the rest of the time.

Ziggy desperately needs a temporary replacement home for 8 weeks due to our family having to move out of our home due to renovations. He is currently staying with a friend who has three Jack Russells, and this situation is not working. He has barred the Jack Russells from coming into their house and is barking throughout the day when nobody is at home. He is a well-loved member of our family and he will return to us at the and of the period, but he is currently extremely stressed. He is an 11yo Springer Spaniel, is deaf and going blind. He lives with two cats, but he does not like change. He has only had one owner and is very attached to me. He prefers to be a house dog, does not like much exercise, but does need people about him. I have until 9th of February to find a carer or he will have to be surrendered or euthanised. We have no other option and do not wish to lose him.

I can be contacted on 0408969372

post-3265-0-88031100-1360140153_thumb.jpg

Edited by keetamouse

I just got a call from this same lady just now...........told her we were full currently and mentioned boarding kennels - apparently can't afford it.....

Told same - has to be gone by Saturday even though she loves it and just spent $1000 on it recently but will take it to the pound if nothing comes up by then - not even board short-term ........but happy for someone else to look after for 8 weeks and then take it back.....

Anyway, suggested postering around which she was going to send me to pass onto everyone.......

Can we all just list positive replys please, I am trying to help Elaine she had no idea her friends would pull the pin, nor did she know that Ziggy would react the way he has, I am all for trying to help her rather than not, positive energy is so much more rewarding that negative.

Maree

CPR

Do the RSPCA offer emergency boarding at all? I seem to recall something about them offering this for homeless people with maybe a payment plan? A long shot I know.

Couldn't the lady arrange a short term loan to pay for the boarding? Surely it would be worth it if the dog is loved - poor thing must be very distressed being deaf and almost blind. :(

Guest donatella

Is there a Springer club or similar who have members who can help a brother out short term? I know most breed people are close and willing to help each other out.

even see if they have a facebook page and air your plea there.

Edited by donatella

So where are the owners staying while this reno is going on? What about a dog run if there is space for one at their temporary accommodation or even in the yard of his own house if it is safe? Surely there must be someone within the circle of family, friends and workmates who can assist rather than resorting to euthenasing the poor dog. Purchasing a portable run is probably cheaper than the cost of euthenasia and disposal and its only a short term solution. Biting my tongue HARD at your request KM, but I could probably loan her one for the 8 weeks. It would need to be collected and returned.

S

P.S. If the owner would like to take up this offer, could I please liaise with you KM. I'd rather not speak to her directly.

Edited by Sheilaheel02

Purchasing a portable run is probably cheaper than the cost of euthenasia and disposal and its only a short term solution.

I was wondering the same thing. I'e had a quite a bit of renovating going on here & I have a Catmax Caboodle ... a moveable cat pen. Not suitable for bigger & vigorous dogs but it's great for our calm little tibbies (& the cat). It keeps them out of the way of the trade work & the people & vehicles going in and out.

A dog-specific portable run would be just the ticket for a Springer Spaniel.

Edited by mita

From what I was told last night I think she said she is not living there at the moment, she is apparently paying for some accomodation somewhere at the moment.......so I don't think any run in her home would work if she is not there....not sure it would work either if she was in a motel or other paid accomodation either......

KM might know more...... anyway won't say anymore about the situation as I am biting my tongue already and don't wish to detract from this dog finding a short-term haven which it clearly desperately needs.

Hoping something comes up for him soon, whether it be through the springer club or a temp care option.