Guide Dog Dies In Hot Car

RidgieAmy

Every day, in every profession and walk of life, human beings make mistakes and errors of judgement. Sometimes they are very lucky and there is no consequence, other times a tiny error has catastrophic consequences, that they have to live with forever.

These are not evil people....these people are our friends, our family, our neighbours, our children, and even ourselves. Not evil people. Not monsters. Normal, everyday people going about their normal everyday lives, when a split second of poor judgement or memory lapse tears their world apart.

They will always have my compassion, and so will all the people who are affected by the event.

:thumbsup:

People who deserve the contempt, rage and anger are people like drunk drivers who drive their cars through a bedroom where a beautiful 8 month old baby boy sleeps. He was buried this week. :cry: now that's something to get up in arms about.

Not taking away the fact this poor Dog has lost her life but the handler at the time didn't mean for it to happen.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The probablity of this type of accident occurring in a dog centred industry would be what? High, Low.

There would be a high probablity.

The guy was working for the "Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA" and very possibly gave his time and energy above and beyond expectation quite regularly. It is a bit harsh then to show a lack of comprehension or empathy in a tragic accident of this nature.

Dogs deaths are the worst type of accident but they are not uncommon even among professionals.

Would you like a list? I could start with my ex-Vet, a certain dog grooming saloon, My Local Dog Ranger who I won't name at this time, a well known animal protection agency, one of the Canine Control Councils, do I need to go on?

I would expect a higher standard of care in a "dog centred industry". Look at the outrage (and rightly so) expressed in thread at the terrible death of poor Buddy at the grooming salon due to the negligence of the grooming salon. Yet here in this thread, there appears to be more sympathy for the carer than the poor dog. :mad

Really this cannot be compared to what happened to Buddy, he was deliberately left on that grooming table and the groomer walked away knowing he was there and surely knowing what could happen to him!

I've never forgotten to feed them dinner, I said I feel pretty bad if I forgot to feed them dinner, not if I 'forget' to feed them dinner. :angel::happydance:

If I forget my patients life saving medications and my patient suffers or dies I am in BIG BIG trouble.

A happy dancing banana emoticon in a thread about the death of a dog? Really? And you think life saving medication is left just to your memory, and there aren't work processes designed to make sure you remember that you would have to deliberately breach in order to miss the dose? And just maybe that is the difference between your work and this guy's accident?

Every day, in every profession and walk of life, human beings make mistakes and errors of judgement. Sometimes they are very lucky and there is no consequence, other times a tiny error has catastrophic consequences, that they have to live with forever.

These are not evil people....these people are our friends, our family, our neighbours, our children, and even ourselves. Not evil people. Not monsters. Normal, everyday people going about their normal everyday lives, when a split second of poor judgement or memory lapse tears their world apart.

They will always have my compassion, and so will all the people who are affected by the event.

Me to, my heart goes out to your friend.

Edited by Diva

The probablity of this type of accident occurring in a dog centred industry would be what? High, Low.

There would be a high probablity.

The guy was working for the "Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA" and very possibly gave his time and energy above and beyond expectation quite regularly. It is a bit harsh then to show a lack of comprehension or empathy in a tragic accident of this nature.

Dogs deaths are the worst type of accident but they are not uncommon even among professionals.

Would you like a list? I could start with my ex-Vet, a certain dog grooming saloon, My Local Dog Ranger who I won't name at this time, a well known animal protection agency, one of the Canine Control Councils, do I need to go on?

I would expect a higher standard of care in a "dog centred industry". Look at the outrage (and rightly so) expressed in thread at the terrible death of poor Buddy at the grooming salon due to the negligence of the grooming salon. Yet here in this thread, there appears to be more sympathy for the carer than the poor dog. :mad

Really this cannot be compared to what happened to Buddy, he was deliberately left on that grooming table and the groomer walked away knowing he was there and surely knowing what could happen to him!

REally - they are both cases of negligence where in both cases people failed in their duty of care and as a result, two beautiful dogs died horrendous deaths. :mad

Guest donatella

"Nutter" because of the lack of compassion for the suffering of a fellow human. Ever heard of the saying "There but for the grace of God go I???" I hope those who are baying for this blokes blood can take the judgement if they ever make a mistake.

My friend who forgot her dog in the car??? She pays for it every day of her life, and she LOVED that dog, truly loved her. I saw her suffering, and i wouldn't wish that pain on another person....she fully understands the suffering her dog went through, which compounds her guilt.

See Donatella, you just admitted you have forgotten to feed your dogs dinner...when they are in the same house....what if that had been a patient you had forgotten to give life-saving medication too??? (and yes, I'm using your very own logic here...or does that only apply to other people and not yourself?)

I've never forgotten to feed them dinner, I said I feel pretty bad if I forgot to feed them dinner, not if I 'forget' to feed them dinner. :angel::happydance:

Thus implying you forgot to feed them...whoops no, of course not, YOU are perfect...lucky you, what a lovely view you must have from your ivory tower! " Feel pretty bad if I forget" not "I would feel bad if I had forgotten"..... :)

Worded badly, I have never forgotten to feed my dogs dinner. This is aided by the fact that they have dry biccies down 24/7 so food is always available breakfast/morning tea/lunch/afternoon tea/dinner/midnight snack :rofl:

Let me put this one to you:

A babysitter, comes with high credentials, looking after 2 kids under 3. A sudden lapse of memory and one of them drowns in the bath. It was a genuine accident, all the investigations prove this. Still okay? What if that were your children? Just a human error?

You don't f*ck with life. You just don't mess with it.

Guest donatella

If I forget my patients life saving medications and my patient suffers or dies I am in BIG BIG trouble.

A happy dancing banana emoticon in a thread about the death of a dog? Really? And you think life saving medication is left just to your memory, and there aren't work processes designed to make sure you remember that you would have to deliberately breach in order to miss the dose? And just maybe that is the difference between your work and this guy's accident?

:)

Edited by donatella

go away troll

Resulting to insults just shows you don't have the skills to argue civilly

Edited by Diva

There are some comments on here that have me thinking you have lost sight of reality, or exist in a world where you are perfect,and never make errors of judgement. I only hope you are never in a situation where you require the sympthy and compassion of a fellow human being, because clearly you will not get it from here.

It's no wonder animal people are painted as being nutters....

Hmmmm nutters because we care that this beautiful poor dog lost its life due to the negligence of its carer - well then happy to be called a nutter. :D I am sick of bleeding hearts that think we all need to have sympathy and compassion for our fellow human beings that fail miserably and cause the suffering and horrible death of either animals or humans. How about people being made to be accountable for some of their stupid decisions that cause preventable pain and suffering, instead of trying to excuse them. :mad

I can't see anybody trying to excuse it, people are just trying to understand how it could happen.

Such a tragedy. Run free beautiful girl. :rainbowbridge:

Hell I feel pretty bad if I forget to feed them dinner one night!

Your original post reads that you have forgotten to feed them dinner.

"Nutter" because of the lack of compassion for the suffering of a fellow human. Ever heard of the saying "There but for the grace of God go I???" I hope those who are baying for this blokes blood can take the judgement if they ever make a mistake.

My friend who forgot her dog in the car??? She pays for it every day of her life, and she LOVED that dog, truly loved her. I saw her suffering, and i wouldn't wish that pain on another person....she fully understands the suffering her dog went through, which compounds her guilt.

See Donatella, you just admitted you have forgotten to feed your dogs dinner...when they are in the same house....what if that had been a patient you had forgotten to give life-saving medication too??? (and yes, I'm using your very own logic here...or does that only apply to other people and not yourself?)

Thus implying you forgot to feed them...whoops no, of course not, YOU are perfect...lucky you, what a lovely view you must have from your ivory tower! " Feel pretty bad if I forget" not "I would feel bad if I had forgotten"..... :)

Worded badly, I have never forgotten to feed my dogs dinner. This is aided by the fact that they have dry biccies down 24/7 so food is always available breakfast/morning tea/lunch/afternoon tea/dinner/midnight snack :rofl:

A babysitter, comes with high credentials, looking after 2 kids under 3. A sudden lapse of memory and one of them drowns in the bath. It was a genuine accident, all the investigations prove this. Still okay? What if that were your children? Just a human error?

That one is easy. You are within arms reach of children in water at all times. That's not a tragic mistake, that is deliberate neglect....very different

ETA you cannot forget a child is in the bath, but you can make a deliberate choice to walk away from them.

Edited by Willow

Guest donatella

Hell I feel pretty bad if I forget to feed them dinner one night!

Your original post reads that you have forgotten to feed them dinner.

Not possible seeing as they have dry food down 24/7 and access to food at all times! Bad wording!

For those interested, Google the Pulitzer prize winning article Fatal Distraction on the forgotten baby syndrome, I think it first appeared in the Washington Post. Especially worth reading by those who say 'what if it been a baby'.

Edited by Diva

Guest donatella

That one is easy. You are within arms reach of children in water at all times. That's not a tragic mistake, that is deliberate neglect....very different

What about if it was a child in the car not a dog? Would it still be an accident or neglect? Is it okay just because its a dog to be an accident? If it were a child this would be a different story.

What about if it was a child in the car not a dog? Would it still be an accident or neglect? Is it okay just because its a dog to be an accident? If it were a child this would be a different story.

It's still an accident, a tragic, horrible one, and there is even a name for it "Forgotten Baby Syndrome". If you google it there are explanations of how it happens.

I actually can't understand how it can happen. If you remember to put the dog in your car, surely you remember to take the dog out at the other end.

Honestly I really cannot understand. Especially when people these days go to the effort of car devices such as car straps and seats etc. We go to all this effort to make sure they're safe for the journey IN the car, how on earth can you forget to get them out.

I agree, I would never forget my dogs were in the car, I talk to them the whole way if they are!

Guest donatella

I like my "syndromes" with some medical research to them. Until then its not really a proven syndrome at all in the medical world.

I have also seen the hell someone goes through from having dogs die in the car. This lady was unloading the car and her 2 dogs leapt into the car without her realising. She shut the doors and didn't realise the dogs were missing till some time later and found them both dead.

We don't know the full circumstances of why he forgot he had a dog in the car, maybe he was did not normally transport dogs, maybe he was called to quickly come and help in an urgent situation, maybe he was thinking of anything but work. Until we know the full circumstances we can't judge.

RIP Colette :rainbowbridge:

Guest donatella

I do agree with knowing the full circumstances! I apologise I'm getting fired up without knowing full details, but it upsets me so much knowing the horrible death this dog would have endured. I hope we do find out what exactly happened.