Doggy Smell In Your House

dogsforjane

I don't actually like dog smells myself, perhaps I have a sensitive nose, so I am a bit particular about dogs smelling nice. If the dog smells nice, the rest of the home is easy to keep without dog smell. Masking the odour just makes things even pongier, you need to kill the odour, then have something nice on!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vacuum and clean regularly, that tends to keep the doggy smell down. Including putting lounge cushions in the sun, washing dog bedding regularly, brushing dogs regularly, mopping regularly, windows are open a lot to air the house. We use vinegar to clean puppy accidents, not cleaning products.

I also love candles, even pre-dogs, so have lots of Glasshouse candles around the house because they smell awesome without lighting them - you just take the lid off and they fill the room.

My mum sometimes comments that my place smells doggy, but she also comments that my dogs smell doggy, so I don't take her too seriously.

I agree with you here - the Glasshouse candles are just wonderful (I love the vanilla caramel one). You don't even have to light them and they fill the room with an amazing aroma. Certainly gets rid of any doggy (or other) odours.

I don't mind a little bit of doggy smell but the really strong ones are a bit much. I once went to a house where the 2 golden retrievers ruled the house. They also didn't have the best diet (I think this makes a huge difference) and the house stunk BAD to the point where I'd feel flu symptoms every time I went there and couldn't get the smell out of my nose for hours. Speaking of masking the odour - they had a little automatic scent sprayer that went off every 10 minutes or so and the smell that it put out was like one of those oatmeal dog shampoo smells. So then her house just smelt like dog + dog shampoo = wet dog smell. All the time. She wasn't big on cleaning either.

I don't actually like dog smells myself, perhaps I have a sensitive nose, so I am a bit particular about dogs smelling nice. If the dog smells nice, the rest of the home is easy to keep without dog smell. Masking the odour just makes things even pongier, you need to kill the odour, then have something nice on!

I think that is what most of us work towards and there is good advice in this thread. I've been influenced (don't know if it is in this thread or another - too lazy to scroll through all the posts :o:o ) and was prompted to buy eucaluptus disinfectant a couple of days ago to put in the wash with the dogs' bedding, mats, collars, leads, harnesses. Great stuff. Cheap and not at all overpowering. I am pretty sensitive to perfumes and just about choke to death on some of the smells.

My house smells doggy, but part of the house has really ancient carpet that needs to be ripped up and we have old furniture that needs to be replaced too.

My brothers dog is very smelly...I had to wash him again today (only washed him about a week and a half ago) because he loves hanging out in my room and he was stinking my room out, even though I have floorboards. So I used two lots of shampoo on him and washed his collar too and he is finally smelling nice. My two girls aren't nearly as smelly as Rusty, don't know if it is a male dog thing.

I try and let as much fresh air into the house as possible, and I also regularly wash their bedding and use fabric softener on their blankets to keep them smelling nice. I also have a big collection of old towels for the dogs, so I always wash their dog towels after using them once (they go swimming regularly).

I should vacuum more often, but I am lazy.

It's my mission this year to get our place smelling better. However we have other issues to deal with on top of the dogs - we're about to rip out our ducted heating, for example, as we just can't keep the bush rats out of it. Then the UV went in the envirocycle which meant I was flushing enzyme pellets down the loo - gotta love country living.

ANYWAY.

Porous surfaces and fabric harbour a lot of smells. If you can't wipe it down or wash it, don't have it in the house.

Agree with Espinay that keeping things well aired helps. We are also about to get rid of a lot of smelly carpet.

A proper urine cleaner for urine smells. Wash dog beds regularly. Keep the dogs clean, and yeah, breed matters. Once the Irish Wolfhound joined our place we suddenly had that real "doggy" smell that we previously never had to deal with with the Salukis and Afghans.

As for the general house doggy smell, you can think you have it beaten and then you get a very humid or damp day and all the whiffy stuff rears its ugly head again. I think the real test is if your non pet owning relatives don't wrinkle their noses while visiting after a summer storm. :laugh: