I Made A Would Be Adopter Cry

Guest muttrus

Guest muttrus

Please don"t take any of this out of context I wanted to share a story with you.

While working on the computer sending e-mails an email came in about a dog who had since been adopted .I knew I was going to be a while and Im not know for my short e-mails so I thought Id call and explain .

The lady was very understanding then began to Cry ---I thought --OMG she really wanted the dog then she started thanking me she went on to tell me she had applied for a number of dogs one rescue said no as she didn"t have a dog another said no because the dog would be sleeping out in a sun room and she said she had filled in forms with no answer and other simply never replied .She understood everyone was a volunteer and busy and while her husband told her to look elsewhere she didn"t as she felt rescue was the right way to go.

I explained certain dogs have needs and thats why she may have been knocked back she fully understood she felt it was important to be honest so she said she wasn"t going to say the dog would sleep in side if it wasn"t .We talked for ages and I explained how sometimes things happen and it wasn"t personal

But she was so thrilled she got to speak with a real person that by the time Id called her it was all overwhelming and a flood of emotions was too much .As it turned out I do have another suitable dog and she is coming for a meet and greet But I think now she not only has a better understanding but knows we are real people and take would be adopters seriously.

She didn"t say who she had contacted and I didn"t ask I did feel upset I had made someone cry :) but she was so nice and so understanding after hearing some insider info about the task of rehoming .

Of course we here know what it takes but sometimes we forget not everyone does and I too have been on the other side anyway its not an attack on anyone --just wanted to share

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a kind person you are to take the time out with this lady to explain the ins and outs to make sure that a dog is placed in the right home. :thumbsup:

I do hope with the meet and greet with the dog you have available is successful and I know that by the sounds of her you will be getting reuglar updates. :)

I wish all rescuers took the time to speak to people, like you have Muttrus. I honestly think rescue groups seem to bite off more than they can chew sometimes, & then get slack with their admin & customer service. That's the thing that needs to be strongest if they want to be a success. The better their PR, the more animals they can save in the long run because word of mouth is a powerful tool.

What a kind person you are to take the time out with this lady to explain the ins and outs to make sure that a dog is placed in the right home. :thumbsup:

I do hope with the meet and greet with the dog you have available is successful and I know that by the sounds of her you will be getting reuglar updates. :)

I hope the meet and greet goes well, too. Please let us know.

Guest muttrus

meet and greet went better than I could have hoped for they were lovely pup found a home .She was very grateful for the whole process She did tell me her experiences and I took it all on board as feedback is very helpful since every dog is different so too every would be adopter .

Her biggest complaint ---for lack of a better word was one group made her feel like she wasn"t good enough to be a pet owner .Thankfully someone said rescues weren"t all the same and sent her a link to me.

Now she has a new family member a needy homeless pup found a home and her experience hopefully will be thought and talked about as a good one :D

I have friends I have know for 20 years, 3 years ago there very loved dog Max had to be pts at a very old age they where devastated.

They waited 2 years to get over the loss of him and applied to a rescue somewhere down the coast NSW only to be told a similar thing that if they wouldn't let him sleep inside they couldn't adopted the puppy who would grow to be a small horse perhaps 60-80kgs. Of course they wouldn't put a puppy outside, and there old dog had never wanted for anything they offered for the rescue to speak to there vet but no.

They to thought of not telling the truth but didn't and adopted another small horse from a pound.

He also lives a wonderful life with a huge yard, his own private swimming pool and spa, twin teenage boys at his disposal and is so loved and well trained.

Sometime I do have to wonder..

Edited by melcatlady

I've been a foster carer for a while and have a bit to do with rescue but recently I was enquiring about dogs on PetRescue through well known Melbourne rescue groups and despite spending AGES filling out detailed forms with lots of information, I simply didn't receive a reply for a dog I was really interested in (for my Mum). They may well have decided we weren't suitable for the dog I was asking about but a simple email would have explained that to me. Waiting for days, then weeks and then finally understanding I was never going to hear back from them was really disappointing to be honest.

I know we're all volunteers, I know we're all busy and have other lives besides resuce, and I sure know this has been brought up by people before but now I have personal experience with trying to talk someone down from just skipping all the c*ap and going to the trading post to get their no-questions-asked puppy because they see nothing wrong with it and can't understand why I'm so passionately trying to get them to adopt a rescue dog.

We don't help ourselves sometimes....

That dog is still listed on PetRescue. Who knows if it's actually still up for adoption, or if the foster carer was even advised someone has been enquiring about their foster dog. The whole thing is so confusing. Why go to SO much expense and effort getting these dogs into foster homes if you can't move them through?

Being knocked back is a lot better than being ignored.....

Edited by Inka3095

I don't understand why people who are interested in looking at a potential dog have to fill out such extensive forms before they even decide if the dog is suitable for them. You may think a dog is suitable for you but upon meeting may not feel that "bond". Thats what put me off when I was looking. Could not the rescue organisation have some sort of statement on their advertisements regarding their expectations - such as the requirement for the dog to sleep inside? That way potential adopters could go through a check list of the basics before they even apply and more extensive applications could be completed once the person decides they do want to adopt the dog. Just my thoughts - there are some wonderful rescuers on DOL :)

Guest muttrus

:thumbsup: :) Well done Muttrus, I had a good feeling that this was going to be a happy story.

That puppy will have a wonderful life. :)

I didn"t really do much all I did was give him a place to live while waiting take some photos listen and watch him and tried to relay that back to anyone wanting to know .HE did all the work simply by being himself .Ive already got feedback they changed his name said he has them wrapped already .

They weren"t looking for a puppy they were interested in an adult dog they kept an eye on the pound websites and saw a 4 year old at another rescue but were told they should take another dog much much older .Anyway they came and knew they would walk away should I not have someone suitable as it turned out I had 3 which made it harder hahahhahahah we talked and just just kids all the dogs acted themselves and yes even showed their naughty side which in fact for me is good because it shows they are who they are and I never wrap them up in unrealistic profiles .Anyway they saw everyone and given their lives their home and the personality they were looking for --they happen to find him here .

As for sleeping arrangements I find most forms too black and white before we had a back deck built for the dogs they slept in an open shed with dog beds We said at one stage no dogs on the lounge now they their own blanket on the lounge MOST things and well laid plans go out the window when you bring your new puppy/dog home .Every dog is different I had a dog who hated to be inside he always slept outside yet now I have one that NEVER sleeps outside .I ve adopted to people who work ---Granma puppysits I think while we say you should adopt suitable for you is true but its also a two way streak and the dog should also adapt ----------------------When we adopted a 4 year old from the pound we had no idea how he lived before us so he adjusted to home life as we were.

There will never be a perfect home because we all have different ideas on what that should be .Im sure these dogs not only would be better off (in 999%) LIVING IN A HOME WHERE THEY ARE SAFE LOVED CARED FOR AND HAVING FUN RATHER THAN SITTING IN A CAGE WAITING FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN"T SPEND 24/7 WITH THEM TO DECIDE. Foster care is a huge benefit to finding that suitable home because the carer has the best idea of what that is I don"t think a dog in a kennel situation where they aren"t given the chance to be themselves is able to have the same benefit.

I understand the forms but in some cases they are too long I had one family who simply needed to know if the dog would be suitable around cattle ?if not then they couldn"t adopt they wanted an adult dog but were ment with forms they said whats the point of filling out the form if the dog wasn"t suitable around cattle they said they emailed and asked but each time were told to first fill out the form .In the end they called me I said I didn"t have an adult they came to see a puppy and chose to train him himstead .-----

Most people know the sort of dog they are looking for if they ask certain questions can"t they be answered first THEN fill in the form?

YES meeting the dog is very important Ive had people come to meet a dog and found another one they bonded with more .Dogs are funny I ve had more dogs choose their owners than the other way around.I had a dog sit at the gate and waited while they went for coffee to discuss he was so excited when they came back.I had another a abused case took me weeks to get him right anyway a family came knew everything I said he maynot come straight to them ---tthe little shit went straight up and sat in the wifes lap I still hear from them

I had a really bad case of 3 abused brothers the last one was the worst when he came up and sat next to me head in my lap had me in tears anyway A lovely lady called and we emailed etc for a couple of weeks she was recovering from brain surgery she adopted me don"t ask me but it was always ment to be anyway he still wasn"t 100% so she posted his progress every week either photos and/video on our facebook page her last post had me calling her she thanked us and said now he was right and a dog again she would no longer pester us with everything he did but instead update us now and then she said he was just so perfect and he had been her rock .I couldn"t let that happen we had built a massive following of people following their progress no-one wanted it to end :laugh:

Of course we understood but she had thought we were sick of hearing everything!!!!!!! I have so many stories that I would never have believed had I not been a part of them ----------Of course some sad ones too .NO FORM could predict these outcomes I think getting in there speaking with people being open and honest plays a major part common sense and communication works you need to talk with a real person first not read ink on paper :)

I could go on but Im thinking I may have lost some readers along the way :D

I would be more than happy to send anyone a link to my stories if you like ? they are there for anyone interested --------

Guest muttrus

sent links its a long list hope you enjoy the story its one Ill never forget and always be proud to be a part of -------------Note to anyone interested if you like an email would be easier its a long list of links because the brothers were here for a few weeks it documents everything including videos then the video updates etc tissues a must

I find it hard sometimes that I have to turn down great families for dogs just because the situation/environment isn't the right fit but I do tell try my best to communicate to them that it's not "Them" and that I will have a dog suitable for them in the future.

I did have a woman challenge me recently because I wasn't able to help her with a 10 month old Dane x we had because she worked full time and didn't have another dog as a companion - this dog had already been moved on from his previous home due to his boredom behaviours and I didn't want it to happen again but unfortunately she didn't want a bar of the reasoning and I thought she knew better than me and sometimes of course we get people like that that are in the frame of mind "It's ok, it will be ok, I know what I'm doing".

It's hard because sometimes people are getting turned down again and again and it's just easier to get a FTGH dog off a classified site.

We are a fairly hard organisation to get a dog from however we deal with Giant dogs who are very sensative and prone to certain behavioural problems so finding the right mix to me is even more important and any problems in a giant breed is amplified due to size.I do admit that the cross breeds we take on that aren't giant/very large dogs don't have as tough as screening, still screening but not as anal.

We do use forms and they are vital to our organisation, although if people have some initial questions then of course we answer that. There are some non-negiotable items our organisation has and I won't be swayed on them at all, no matter how much pressure from potential homes or other rescue groups. i.e. I will not home a dog where it has to be an outside dog, we home a sensative breed who are companion animals who are part of families that means they are with their families when those families are home unless the dog wishes to be elsewhere and they sleep inside with their families unless there is a valid reason why they cannot - I get grief about that all the time but I won't change that.

We get told again and again and again from people that rescues don't reply to their emails or take too long. I'll reply same day no matter how busy I am because this is what we're here to do....find homes for dogs and if we don't have time to do that then we need to let someone else do it.

Edited by sas

Her biggest complaint ---for lack of a better word was one group made her feel like she wasn"t good enough to be a pet owner .Thankfully someone said rescues weren"t all the same and sent her a link to me.

People can be technically & ethically good at rescue.... but were behind the door when tact & communication skills were given out.

You sure weren't, muttrus. Well done. :thumbsup:

I think any manual or course or advice for people involved in rescue, should also cover learning the communication skills to go with the work. (Off Topic, but also including dealing with difficult people & difficult circumstances which would test the best!.)

Edited by mita

Guest muttrus

We get told again and again and again from people that rescues don't reply to their emails or take too long. I'll reply same day no matter how busy I am because this is what we're here to do....find homes for dogs and if we don't have time to do that then we need to let someone else do it.

There are a lot of dogs to take in when looking through the PR site especially if you don"t have a certain dog in mind I believe people then have a short list and contact each rescue on it thats why I always reply straight away ------for lack of a better term AND I mean this in a nice way there is alot of competition between dogs looking for a home with more and more being such great dogs for a wide variety of the same type of home .

Maybe even have one of those thankyou for your email I currenty out of office and will reply within 48 hours ???? a draft on hand that you can send at least people then know you"ve acknowledged them and will appreaciate that .

We hear it almost everyday we make calls about not being able to take your call or press this button blah blah blah people hear it from everyone else (telstra online companies department stores ) I think when it comes to lives (dogs/cats) people expect to be spoken to by a real person

As for the other side when people aren"t easy to deal with I guess it goes both ways and our role is to be nice calm and informative grind your teeth bite your tongue and reach for a coffee after :) but I guess with each situation it helps us deal with it better next time

sent links its a long list hope you enjoy the story its one Ill never forget and always be proud to be a part of -------------Note to anyone interested if you like an email would be easier its a long list of links because the brothers were here for a few weeks it documents everything including videos then the video updates etc tissues a must

Thanks for explaining the links thing as I received an email with 50 million facebook links and I had no idea the what or why...now I do. :)