I Made A Would Be Adopter Cry

Guest muttrus

From some one that had been on both sides I think the biggest problem is the application forms, I think a phone call first is a much better option at least potential adopters have a chance to explain their circumstances properly before spending a lot of time on paper work.

A lot of rescuers don't take into consideration how emotional looking for a 4 legged family member can be especially is someone gets turned down multiple times or never gets a reply.

Only once was I abused because I refused a family to even come and look at a dog I had for adoption, they had 4 or 5 young kids and even though I had advertised her as being good with kids (she was great with mine) I felt that many would be too overwhelming.

Rescuers need to be friendly and accessible to the general

public otherwise they will find easier less desirable options.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With an experience like mine, it would have been a lot easier to turn to reg. breeders again, or the petshop, or the backyard breeder, or a farmer selling working dogs. I even offered them to contact my vet, not interested. I think it was a case of pure arrogance, which is not good for those dogs waiting for a home. There's people out there, trying to get dogs out of pounds, with nowhere to go, because of rescue org's egos.

Do dogs get rehomed to people in rented accomodation, if the landlord permits a pet? When people have to move on, often the dog has to find another home, or else. What good is that?

Sadly this type of thread has been done many times before and I imagine it will continue to pop up from time to time as long as there are dogs for rescue.

It needs to be remembered that just because people rescue and rehome dogs, doesn't make them nice or decent or capable people. Often it would appear from the number of threads on this subject, it is the reverse, because it appears they are all wrapped up in how wonderful they are without being able to think of the animal's welfare or make a judgement as to whether or not a home would be a good one for a particular dog.

Sadly this type of thread has been done many times before and I imagine it will continue to pop up from time to time as long as there are dogs for rescue.

It needs to be remembered that just because people rescue and rehome dogs, doesn't make them nice or decent or capable people. Often it would appear from the number of threads on this subject, it is the reverse, because it appears they are all wrapped up in how wonderful they are without being able to think of the animal's welfare or make a judgement as to whether or not a home would be a good one for a particular dog.

... and that's why I aspire to be like Powerlegs... she has it all going on as far as I'm concerned... as close to a perfect example of using both heart AND mind to find great homes for each and every one of her charges as you'll get I reckon.

Dealing with people is often the hardest part of rescue... and we ALL need to be mindful that our daily stresses don't filter though to the adopting public in a negative way.

T.

Edited by tdierikx

Because I'd probably ask him to fill out a form and have a yard check done. :laugh:

Who's the dag now? *giggle*

Honestly though, there are some people one comes into contact with in rescue who inspire, and there are just as many who don't. Funnily enough one person's experiences with individual rescuers may be completely different to someone else's... life is weird like that, isn't it?

T.

Edited by tdierikx

My poor nana had a hard time getting her last dog. I told her to go to a reg breeder or rescue and not get a puppy from a pet store.

Nana rang heaps of breeders looking for a puppy, only to be told she could not have one of there puppies because of where she lives.

Nana's house backs on to Westlakes but her yard is fenced.

Poor nana got so upset, she gave up and got her puppy from a back yard breeder.

Her dog is now 12 and has never fallen in the lake and is spoiled rotten.

I've been knocked back by rescue groups when I volunteered to foster for them (they were different groups, but pleading for fosterers at the time). Reasons were a bit OTT IMO:

* I work full time (they only used foster carers that were home most of the time)

* I don't have a dog door, so dog can't have 24 hr inside/outside access (this was a requirement)

* I don't feed my dogs a BARF diet

* my dogs sometimes slept outside if the weather was nice enough (to scare my neighbour's cat away as I kept an a avairy of birds)

* they only use foster carers that live within 10mins drive from them (not sure why - animals had vet work done already)

I' assume adopters would have to follow these rules too.

Luckily other rescues were happy to have me & I've fostered over 20 animals over the years, maybe 30.

Edited by Pawfect

I've been knocked back by rescue groups when I volunteered to foster for them (they were different groups, but pleading for fosterers at the time). Reasons were a bit OTT IMO:

* I work full time (they only used foster carers that were home most of the time)

* I don't have a dog door, so dog can't have 24 hr inside/outside access (this was a requirement)

* I don't feed my dogs a BARF diet

* my dogs sometimes slept outside if the weather was nice enough (to scare my neighbour's cat away as I kept an a avairy of birds)

* they only use foster carers that live within 10mins drive from them (not sure why - animals had vet work done already)

I' assume adopters would have to follow these rules too.

Luckily other rescues were happy to have me & I've fostered over 20 animals over the years, maybe 30.

Good grief. Those conditions are definitely OTT.

It may also be that the fit just wasn't right, and they needed to give you a reason. Just like job interviews - it's as much about feeling that the person is going to fit in with the group's culture and other members, as whether they feed feed the same food or have the same approach to various things.

At the start it may seem like a rude rejection, but in the end it's probably for the best. Particularly if you've found a group that you gel really well with since :)

It may also be that the fit just wasn't right, and they needed to give you a reason. Just like job interviews - it's as much about feeling that the person is going to fit in with the group's culture and other members, as whether they feed feed the same food or have the same approach to various things.

At the start it may seem like a rude rejection, but in the end it's probably for the best. Particularly if you've found a group that you gel really well with since :)

They did give her a reason - several, as listed.

They did give her a reason - several, as listed.

Yeah, but I mean they may have just been made up ones or not the REAL reason :)

I was terrified I would not be considered good enough to be a foster carer for Ams but was honest on the 100 page application form (ok so it was only maybe 80 pages!). I would've learnt and performed a magic trick if she had've said I needed to! I think it is impossible for anyone to say they are a perfect pet owner because it all depends on the pets/breed of dog. I like to think I am a responsive pet owner and foster carer; I adapt when it is needed and I am constantly learning new tools. I hope the learning never stops.

I was talking to someone today in a hairdresser who was saying how important pet insurance was for her swf. I have never had it for any of my pets and have not even considered needing it. The reason for that is because I am all about prevention first and I think knowing your dogs and paying attention to any changes that take place means you get appropriate treatment early for any issues that might arise and it can save you money in the long run. Feed them appropriately too and it saves you money on dental work and other nasties that can arise from the wrong diet like allergies and pancreatitis. I know this seems simplistic and that accidents occur and we can't possibly predict all ailments but I don't get why people leave their dogs rubbing their eyes or scratching at their skin or squealing if you touch their sore ears? So many things that dogs come into rescue suffering with are easily preventable in those early stages and less costly on the pocket and the dog. Even malnutrition - people can afford cigarettes and alcohol but not a $1 chicken carcass or even shade and fresh water on a hot day? I just don't understand why they even bother owning an animal in the first place if it is such an inconvenience.

Sorry, an OT moment.

I was terrified I would not be considered good enough to be a foster carer for Ams but was honest on the 100 page application form (ok so it was only maybe 80 pages!).

You obviously got off lightly. Ams must have been desperate. :D :D

Joking of course..... Shar Pei aren't your everyday sort of dog.

It would seem for the number of stories that come on here that some rescue groups are being more than a bit precious.

If they deem someone to be unsuitable whether for the particular dog they are enquiring about or whether they need to put some changes in place, eg fix fence/gate/holes in ground/sharp wire, they need to be open, upfront, courteous and helpful, rather than sending the people to a pet shop.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Pei seem to pick who they want to live with so I think Ams does things a bit differently. If a connection is made between the humans and dog at a meet and greet then the next step is making sure the home environment will match the dogs needs. An adopter is given time to address any specific issues (like fencing) that may have shown up on their home visit or application. There is no overall right or wrong but just what is best for the pei in question and there is also not this big rush to move dogs on. Some of mine have had multiple visits with their new family before they left me. I am not sure why other rescue groups wouldn't want to do something similar if it was really in the dog's best interests to live with that family? Give them a chance to rectify something they didn't realise was an issue if that is the only thing preventing the adoption. Of course you couldn't waste time chasing people but is helping people who are genuinely interested in a particular dog so difficult? I think people who are keen tend to willingly stay in contact anyway. And despite pei being a bit special we've had adopters who have not owned a pei or dog before either so the hoops are not impossible to jump through!