A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Aliwake and Hankodie!

Hank is such an adorable little guy!

Busy this morning, went for a training session on his long line at a field at uni, so lots of distractions. Played 'stick to my leg' games, and lots of recalls.

Lucky boy also got a paddling pool today!

We have official reached the wonky ears teething stage today too. His left ear has decided to go back to button while his right is rose.

1011639_10151643123770787_2013304528_n.jpg

561531_10151643124765787_330801411_n.jpg

972361_10151643125625787_1558870535_n.jpg

Guest hankodie

omg Tyrion's ear is too cute :laugh: being distracted by these cute puppy photos! Can't get any work done!

Yup Aliwake, he was in there for about 45minutes attacking the water! Nixon will LOVE one! My lab would lay in his smile.gif

We were planning to get one come summer, but it's been so damn hot here the last 2 days that there's not much point waiting I think! I have no doubt he's going to love it :)

Tyrion's one ear is completely gorgeous!!

Well it was interesting walking Treble this afternoon. While I was preoccupied picking up his poop, a little boy ran up to him and grabbed him around his face and was laughing. I almost died. I yelled at him to leave Treble alone to which the mother who was about 10metres away on her phone ran over and asked if Treble was dangerous in any way. I said he could have been for all you know and she said that she though he was friendly and it was ok for her son to go up to him because Treble was out in public without a muzzle on.. Once I had calmed down I gave her and her son a bit of a talking to I only hope it sinks in.

I also was asked if Treble was one of those Japanese fighting dogs and how much did I want to sell him for to which I said he is a malamute (I'm terrible for lying and said he isn't for sale)

On the upside though on the way back home a lady and her son stopped me and asked if they could pat Treble but he wasn't happy so I told them he was in training which they said that is ok and I thanked them for asking :)

--Lhok

Guest hankodie

Large breed puppy owners please enlighten me, is it completely normal that Hank runs really "floppy"? That's the best I can describe it lol. He seems to run with all four paws in the air, flopping along. Occasionally he will get clumsy and fall over himself. Is it because large breed dogs tend to be a bit more gangly when they are puppies? I never remember Odie being this clumsy. Probably just me being paranoid but I just wanted to double check!

Large breed puppy owners please enlighten me, is it completely normal that Hank runs really "floppy"? That's the best I can describe it lol. He seems to run with all four paws in the air, flopping along. Occasionally he will get clumsy and fall over himself. Is it because large breed dogs tend to be a bit more gangly when they are puppies? I never remember Odie being this clumsy. Probably just me being paranoid but I just wanted to double check!

I hope it's normal cause Envy does it too :)

Is it true that the ears will re-floppify when teething happens? Hard to picture Envy's ears going floppy again but I love the confused ears look. So cute

We have a clam shell pool too. This was a few weeks ago. I think Envy was wondering why Lola is in the water

1002436_10151741931958281_1179189449_n.jpg

Yes definitely normal. My last dog was a lab and i remember him floppy running as a pup biggrin.gif

Nova does it but not as extreme, still falls flat on his face sometimes though laugh.gif

Lolipup I think crazy teething ears depends very much on the breed and then the individual dog. Aussies have a few different accepted ear sets, rose, button and I don't know the name but like button but higher set, almost like a BC! So Novas are moving around now that teething has started. His breeder was convinced his would stay rosed but today we suddenly have one button!

I have heard with pricked eared dogs the amount of teething floppage (lol) has to do with how strong the ear cartilage is.

Yes definitely normal. My last dog was a lab and i remember him floppy running as a pup biggrin.gif

Nova does it but not as extreme, still falls flat on his face sometimes though laugh.gif

Lolipup I think crazy teething ears depends very much on the breed and then the individual dog. Aussies have a few different accepted ear sets, rose, button and I don't know the name but like button but higher set, almost like a BC! So Novas are moving around now that teething has started. His breeder was convinced his would stay rosed but today we suddenly have one button!

I have heard with pricked eared dogs the amount of teething floppage (lol) has to do with how strong the ear cartilage is.

I was wondering why you said button and rose. I've never heard of that before!!

Edited by Lollipup

I hadn't heard of button until I got him, but I had heard of rose. Greyhounds and the like have rose ears :)

But the buttoned ear sure is cute... as a button laugh.gif

I think Envy would look pretty cute with wonky teething ears! Just make sure they go back up!

Gus is pretty awkward too. Gangly and dopey looking to watch him run!

Guest hankodie

Phew, good to know it's normal! He's slowly finding his golden retriever "gracefulness" but he still looks drunk half the time, when he runs it's just a little ball of paws!

Guest hankodie

Had a really good experience with my neighbours dogs just now :thumbsup: she owns 2 very calm, very obedient kelpies. She invited us over so Hank could sit and watch them play in the yard. He did whine and was a tad excited and wanted to run up to them in the beginning while they were playing ball, but in the end he settled down and started chewing on some sticks instead and then asked for a belly rub from me. I gave him lots of praise. My neighbour welcomed me to come over any time for training, any suggestions on "distraction games" I can play with Hank around them?

They are 100% friendly but had little interest in Hank (which is great). I didn't want him to have a play with them just yet as I'm really trying to enforce the idea that he does not get to play with every dog he sees (something I did not enforce with Odie when she was young, hence her issues).

All in all a great experience, relieved to have someone nearby who has fantastic dogs he could meet!