A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Oh Lhok, I'm so sorry Treble might not work out as an assistance dog, I hope the other trainer can find some potential in him.

Regarding other potential dogs, what about a pup bred specifically to be assistance dogs? Like how the guide dogs have their own breeding programs?

I'm glad he is making you laugh though :) Sometimes all you need is a big boofy dog biggrin.gif

My assistance dog needs to be big enough to handle my weight on him sometimes (I can pass out) pull in a harness as sometimes I need help walking. Be obedient enough to pass a public access test which is quite strict and doesn't drool and to be honest I kinda don't like labs, Goldies or poodles (they are lovely dogs just not for me)

--Lhok

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Lhok, I'm so sorry Treble might not work out as an assistance dog, I hope the other trainer can find some potential in him.

Regarding other potential dogs, what about a pup bred specifically to be assistance dogs? Like how the guide dogs have their own breeding programs?

I'm glad he is making you laugh though :) Sometimes all you need is a big boofy dog biggrin.gif

My assistance dog needs to be big enough to handle my weight on him sometimes (I can pass out) pull in a harness as sometimes I need help walking. Be obedient enough to pass a public access test which is quite strict and doesn't drool and to be honest I kinda don't like labs, Goldies or poodles (they are lovely dogs just not for me)

--Lhok

When I was shopping the other day my baby girl was crying and I was greeted by a big poodle head sticking his nose up to see what was going on :laugh: his owner said you'll have to excuse him he just LOVES babies and children and just wants to check if she is ok. lol he was the sweetest thing. We got talking and she was saying that he is her assistance dog he helps her to not fall over etc. I don't particularly like poodles either but this fellow was just so sweet and lovely.

Aliwake you can find some metal crates that sit on little roller things which make it easier to drag in and out of rooms :) we bought the 42" for Hank with a partition to make the space bigger as he grows (we've had to move it already!). It is rather unsightly, I might buy one of those canvas covers from Etsy. The plan is to crate train him until he earns "dog bed rights" like Odie but crate training is always a good thing to enforce when pups are little, Odie still loves her crate and if I pop out for an hour or two I usually crate her (even if I don't I often find her in her crate with the door open, asleep)

That sounds pretty good, but I'm fairly sure wheels would trash our floor. Our hallway is quite narrow too which doesn't help. Nixon is now outside whenever we go out, so it would really only be useful at night, or if he got injured. He's spent enough time in his smaller crate that I think he would take to it pretty well. but having said that, up until a week ago he was sleeping through the night in his normal bed without any troubles, so it's hard to know how long this 'unsettled' stage will last. I think he would sleep outside too - maybe, but there's a good chance he'd spend the night stalking possums and other wildlife rather than sleeping :) He'll often wander off after a late night pee, and only comes back in for treats.

I crate trained Tank. Didn't last long... He's been sleeping on our bed for the last month or so. I move him to his crate if his snoring gets too much. He settles pretty quick... I recommend it - it was great for helping him learn where to go toilet as I'd take him there as soon as I let him out. Also good for separating him from us. And he sleeps in it during the day when we are not home.

--Lhok

I was going to suggest a Newfie until the no drool point. From the traits you've listed I would say a German Shepherd :)

She's so lovely Lollipup! How is she with horses?

Really good :) I've been taking her there a few times since I got her so she is pretty used to them now. She was wary at first. Now she tries to share the horse food. Has no fear and gets a bit too close to the legs for a sniff. Luckily my horse is quiet and fine with dogs and Envy doesn't try to nip her or anything. Hoping she stays so good! We also get to see ducks and chooks and geese there and lots of other horses :)

--Lhok

I was going to suggest a Newfie until the no drool point. From the traits you've listed I would say a German Shepherd :)

You could also consider a Leonberger, very loving and biddable, BIG and strong, and no drool :)

For anyone that's interested, Nixon slept a lot better last night! I was the one who woke up at 12.30, but apart from moving to outside the bathroom door temporarily, he went straight back to bed when I did, and slept until 5.40am, which isn't bad... After a quick trip outside, he then went back to bed til a slightly more reasonable hour. Such a relief! Hope he keeps it up.

I'm wondering if the full moon had anything to do with his unsettled sleeping too. Does anyone else's dogs go a bit feral when the moon is full?

Also, I weighed him this morning, and he's finally cracked 20kgs! Such a big boy! Must say he was noticeably heavier to lift onto the scales, so he might not be getting weighed too often after this!

--Lhok

You could also consider a Leonberger, very loving and biddable, BIG and strong, and no drool :)

German Sheps and Leos are at the top of the list, I'm still going to have a long chat to the new trainer and see if I can't get Treb to work out though.

Another thing is that the dog will have to be happy with walks every other day. As some days I just can't do it

--Lhok

I'm really not sure of their temperaments at all but I have heard of Maremma being used as assistance dogs, they are certainly big enough :)

That great Aliwake, hopefully he keeps sleeping for you!

I used a martingale on Nova for the first time today during out walk. I love it! He's already quite good at loose leash walking but every now and then he tries to chase a bird or do a zoomie, and if he is on a flat collar instead of a harness he just chokes himself. With the martingale he didn't make the 'choking' noises like with the flat and he automatically came back to my side! Obviously the pressure going all the way around his neck and not just on the front is much better.

Edited by LisaCC

--Lhok

German Sheps and Leos are at the top of the list, I'm still going to have a long chat to the new trainer and see if I can't get Treb to work out though.

Another thing is that the dog will have to be happy with walks every other day. As some days I just can't do it

--Lhok

With this added info I'd say a Leo would work really well. But yes hopefully The Treb Man will work out perfectly for you if the trainer thinks it can be done! Good luck :)

Some photos of our walk. After so long of walking nicely I always reward Nova with letting him sniff something interesting, this time some wattle :)

1174941_10151657810690787_1789140081_n.jpg/

1148975_10151657811325787_1631915090_n.jpg

Back on the front step practicing our down stay before we go inside. Complete with classic head tilt.

1150137_10151657811800787_772158522_n.jpg

Nitro is starting to grow a brain! :laugh: :thumbsup:

He has been very excitable but recently is starting to give more focus and pay attention. Hopefully this continues! Took him to a quiet park for some tugging on the weekend and then to an oval where there was a soccer game, previously he has been too excited at the soccer game but this weekend he was paying attention while we did some Recallers games.