A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Hmmm, I know cooked bones are bad because they splinter, but maybe chicken bones being small won't be as much of a problem? I'd be calling the vet for some advice to be honest though.

Thanks aliwake, Called my local and they have advised not to overstress, there is not much I can do right now, keep an eye on him make sure he isn't vomiting or looking unwell, he said he gets calls like this allot and 90% of the time it just passes through with no worry as long as the bones were chewed well.

I know it's a bit late but feeding him bread at the time would have been a good idea. Theory is it protects the stomach, intestine from sharp bits. I read it years ago when someone's dog ate a Xmas tree ball. It was also suggested to feed the dog cotton balls soaked in milk but I think bread was the better idea.

Edited by Rebanne

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lhok, I don't know which trainer's you've seen yet, but in case you haven't contacted her yet, Kyra from Bright Bessy might be another trainer to try? http://brightbessydogtraining.com.au/ I know that she has trained pets in the past to become assistance dogs, and she's worked with my dad some years ago so she's not new on the scene.

I hope you find a trainer that can help Treb!

Lhok, I don't know which trainer's you've seen yet, but in case you haven't contacted her yet, Kyra from Bright Bessy might be another trainer to try? http://brightbessydogtraining.com.au/ I know that she has trained pets in the past to become assistance dogs, and she's worked with my dad some years ago so she's not new on the scene.

I hope you find a trainer that can help Treb!

Funny you should mention Kyra, That's who I have contacted to see Treb next. I hope she has a slot available :) if she can't help I'll get in touch with K9 pro, because going to Sydney is a bit of a stretch for me at the moment.

--Lhok

Sleep humping, Aliwake! Nixon is the gift that keeps on giving, he sounds so funny! Nothing i've heard of, but I imagine if they can growl, run and chew in their sleep they can hump?

Gus did his first leg-cocked pee today, at 4.5 months he's ahead of schedule a bit there. Here's hoping no humping for a while though...

Nova has officially become of a size for people to be scared of him frown.gif

We went for a walk and had to cross a small bridge, there was a lady coming across so I made Nova sit a few metres away from the bridge until she crossed (wasn't sure if there was enough room for possible squirmy puppy).

And the lady almost ran past me, and then said Sorry but I don't like big dogs.

I always feel sad for people like that, I wouldn't class Nova as a big dog at the moment.

Edited by LisaCC

That's hilarious Steph!

Nixon still squats to pee, so it will be interesting to see if that changes. I really hope it was sleep humping - I'm not sure I can handle another health problem! For a healthy dog he's certainly at the vet a lot :(

He's definitely got some teenage attitude going on at the moment though, and is jumping on everything!!!

I'm waiting for Nixon to realise he can get all the way up. For now it's just front paws up at 6am most morning... could be worse I suppose!

He's definitely capable of jumping up, so maybe he is actually showing some restraint :)

So cute Jack!!

Unfortunately I have dog allergies, so Nixon won't ever be on our bed - ever (if I can help it!) Or any of our furniture for that matter...

no animals on furniture here either! We have a black couch the pet hair shows up so easily. Im also allergic to the cats, and my husband is unimpressed that the dog lives inside. lol convincing him to allow Tyrion onto the couch would be fruitless (it took me ages to convince him to get a dog in the first place!)

Has anyone travelled with their pups yet?

What essentials did you take?

I'm going back to Orange for about a week in a few days, and just thinking how I'm going to have to have my suit case plus now all Novas stuff like crate, food, toys (so he doesn't destroy mums garden), and everything else all in my little Kia Rio! Oh and plus the dog!

I think I need a bigger car!

Has anyone travelled with their pups yet?

What essentials did you take?

I'm going back to Orange for about a week in a few days, and just thinking how I'm going to have to have my suit case plus now all Novas stuff like crate, food, toys (so he doesn't destroy mums garden), and everything else all in my little Kia Rio! Oh and plus the dog!

I think I need a bigger car!

lol no tips here, but i'm already thinking about how we're going to manage family trips to Albury with three kids and the dog! And we have a Kia Carnival! lol

Edited by Zereuloh

Well that seems a lot harder to me, I don't have to worry about the kids! I think this time I'll have to leave my extra suitcase of shoes home :( First world problems.

I do have to take some textbooks with me for some study though.

Guest hankodie

Hank is almost 12 weeks! He's so big I struggle to carry him down the stairs. Next week is his last vaccination, so excited to start obedience :) Here are a few photos from today, had to work for most of it but we all managed to hang out on the deck.

161i643.jpg

2imcjo.jpg

Bit of a funny angle, he's like "what r u doing mum?" :laugh:

25hh9o2.jpg

2ednrth.jpg

Playing bitey face, a favourite in the house at the moment

2a66p88.jpg

34gt3l1.jpg

My husband is currently digging out a retaining wall... Hank is obsessed with retrieving sticks from the pile :laugh:

Guest hankodie

He's really testing his boundaries lately! Thankfully I've got Odie keeping him in check, she's quite good at telling him when to stop playing bitey face :laugh:

Hope your trip with Nova goes well Lisa, sounds fun! Do you have a travelling/soft crate? They're heaps easier to pack and store :)

Thanks Hankodie, I have a soft crate but I don't trust Nova in it yet so I'll be taking his collapsable metal crate which hopefully will just fit flat in the hatchback.

Nova has been a pain in the butt the last few days, he's starting to teeth and is quite upset about it, if he can't find something to put his mouth (aka he gets sick of the different textured chews in front of him) on he just whines and whines, we are going back to basics on crating and matt work now because he just wont settle. Poor guy, but he is refusing to relax in the house until bed time, even after lots of play, a walk and training.