How Do You Amuse Your Dog When You Are Sick?

Staffyluv

There is no way I would even attempt to drive him to the offlead park - my head is spinning every time I stand up..

He might have to have a day laying around.

Can you close your eyes and stand upright without swaying? If you lean forward, does your head spin and you feel like you're going to fall?

You could have Labyrinthitis. You definitely don't want to be driving if you do. Sudden head movements can make you feel nauseous, and you can actually fall over.

Do some brain training with him - get him thinking and wear him out mentally. It can be as good as physical work and just as tiring. Teach him some new tricks and reward him with his favourite toy and a play session, even if it's just a throwing session from the couch.

Hope you feel better soon

Nothing they just sleep. It has been pouring rain here virtually non stop since yesterday arvo and Stan's only exersise has been from the lounge to my bed and back again, unless you count the times I bribe him with a liver treat to go out to the toilet. Maddie will run around the house with a toy or do zoomies in the yard on her own in the rain but Stan pppft nup...he's livin' the dream at the moment :laugh:

That's the biggest reason im not getting another dog any time soon!

Kaos is more then happy to sleep all day, as long as she can see me.

Hasn't been for a real walk in months due to me hurting my ribs.

No way I could have handled the last few months with a dog that needed to be taken out

After I returned home from hospital following brain surgery, I was only up for bed-rest for much of the time over a period of weeks. My balance was shot and there was no way I could competently take my dog out for a walk or even as much as venture to the back yard, let alone play as we normally would. He'd already been taught the names of his few toys and I used that learning to my (and his) advantage. I'd ask him (from my bed) to bring xyz toy to me. He'd bring it. I'd do a bit of tossing of the toy in the room. He'd bring it back. I extended this by indicating 'over" (to one side of the room). He'd go over there and I'd toss the toy. I used "out" (which he knew means "out of that room") and then verbally release him and reward with a toss of the toy. I'd say "out" or "over" and then do a recall command. Verbal release and toss the toy. As I gathered a little bit of strength I did a bit of tug game (which he knew) in between giving him as many of his known obedience commands for variety as possible.

When I fell asleep (frequently, back then) I'd sometimes awake feeling VERY warm. The result of all and every toy he could find being placed upon me one by one as I slept :laugh: .

Edited by Erny

There is no way I would even attempt to drive him to the offlead park - my head is spinning every time I stand up..

He might have to have a day laying around.

Can you close your eyes and stand upright without swaying? If you lean forward, does your head spin and you feel like you're going to fall?

You could have Labyrinthitis. You definitely don't want to be driving if you do. Sudden head movements can make you feel nauseous, and you can actually fall over.

Do some brain training with him - get him thinking and wear him out mentally. It can be as good as physical work and just as tiring. Teach him some new tricks and reward him with his favourite toy and a play session, even if it's just a throwing session from the couch.

Hope you feel better soon

Hehe, yesterday I couldn't stand up with my eyes open and not fall over..

Today is fine - I wonder if it is an inner ear balance thing??

It is mostly gone today - thankfully as we had training..

I made up for nothing yesterday by taking him for some off lead fetch for nearly an hour before we went to dog training for an hour..

He is now totally knackered and sleeping..

Have to say mine end up amusing me.

Lol!

Mine think it's great that mum is cooped up in bed or on the couch. If I find myself not improving after a couple of days I find Abby tends to have a lot of pent up energy that throwing stuff from the couch/trick training etc cannot take the edge off of. She isn't an overly active dog, but she is no couch potato either and needs that mental stimulation. Also, she is a naturally highly strung dog and prone to reactivity. I always find that her barking and level of anxiety increases with lack of exercise or mental stimulation, but neither is she a dog that will climb up walls after a day of inactivity. She is quite happy to snuggle. Grace is a natural couch potato, loves the car more than walks and really just enjoys going out and about for the social aspect more than anything else.

Luckily I have some friends/family that could either take them for a walk or even have them over for a few hours to get them out of the house.

I hope you are feeling better soon! Edit - did not read last post... glad you are feeling better!

Edited by Henrietta

Mine just sleeps right beside me in protecto mode, if I don't move he doesn't...if I do then he does. He's very patient :)

One time I was so sick I almost carked it, was back when I had two dogs. They were both so good. One was checking on me every few minutes dragging his dry tongue across my face [his tongue always stuck out lol], the other slept behind my legs not leaving my side. Not sure how long I was out of it for, but they missed a few meals [they had plenty of water inside] but bless them they never once relieved themselves inside at all. Even when my neighbour, the police and ambulance people were banging on the windows trying to rouse me [police were to wary to break in with the boys lol]. My neighbour took care of them, and made sure they were in their run outside and fed them. I spent about a week in hospital afterwards uhg...missed my boys, Poor Ma and Pa were on a holiday interstate and just packed up and came home tandem driving so the animals could be looked after.