Water Intoxication

Snout Girl

Best wishes for Sally and thank goodness your vet finally got to the cause and knew how to treat.

I was quite ill over this summer with heat stroke, when I was at the hospital I was told I was right on the edge of having water poisoning as well. I thought I had been doing the right things, as because I had to work outside in the heat, I was completely covered up, sunscreen, hat, and drinking LOTS of water, which was almost my downfall. After that I was told to always have electrolyte drinks (like hydrolyte) when working outside in that heat instead of water.

I perspire very very heavily and when I was doing bootcamp last year, asked the instructor as to whether or not I should take any electrolytic drinks. I am not in favour of so called replacement drinks. He suggested just some pure sea salt, a pinch in a litre of water.

I've found the link, but it is PDF document. Anyone know how to load, please?

Interesting this...maybe this is what saves my guy from WT..the fact that the pool water has salt in it. When I am at trials etc. I try to remember to take some pure organic coconut water with me as it is a natural rehydrator.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best wishes for Sally and thank goodness your vet finally got to the cause and knew how to treat.

I was quite ill over this summer with heat stroke, when I was at the hospital I was told I was right on the edge of having water poisoning as well. I thought I had been doing the right things, as because I had to work outside in the heat, I was completely covered up, sunscreen, hat, and drinking LOTS of water, which was almost my downfall. After that I was told to always have electrolyte drinks (like hydrolyte) when working outside in that heat instead of water.

I perspire very very heavily and when I was doing bootcamp last year, asked the instructor as to whether or not I should take any electrolytic drinks. I am not in favour of so called replacement drinks. He suggested just some pure sea salt, a pinch in a litre of water.

I've found the link, but it is PDF document. Anyone know how to load, please?

The NaCl in sea salt is not the only electrolyte your body is losing through sweat, by not addressing this you will only result in continued imbalance. Is there any particular reason you don't like replacement drinks?

This is my boy (another BC) enjoying himself in the water...launching himself superman style off the jetty...he would do this all day if we let him, then he comes up to the house & starts doing the whole thing all over again in the family pool. So definately going to put the timer on him from now on :(

IMG_2475-Copya_zpsa4f6b25f.jpg

The NaCl in sea salt is not the only electrolyte your body is losing through sweat, by not addressing this you will only result in continued imbalance. Is there any particular reason you don't like replacement drinks?

I don't think I'm in any danger of continued imbalance because the need to "top up" isn't constant.

I've never been one for soft drinks of any kind, really, and there is so much negative press about all kinds of manufactured drinks these days.

I like an occasional lemonade (as part of a shandy) and dry ginger ale (as part of a whisky and dry) :laugh: :laugh: .

So glad Sally is ok!

I too thought of the issue of "dying from drinking too much water after taking ecstasy" Anna Wood :(

My closest experience was a severe flu last year, I couldn't take in anything, let alone keep it down, for a week. After a couple of days water alone made me vomit, Hydralyte slowly sipped was the only thing that my body could handle.

I don't think I'm in any danger of continued imbalance because the need to "top up" isn't constant.

I've never been one for soft drinks of any kind, really, and there is so much negative press about all kinds of manufactured drinks these days.

I like an occasional lemonade (as part of a shandy) and dry ginger ale (as part of a whisky and dry) :laugh: :laugh: .

Well negative press doesn't mean much unless there is evidence to support it, after all the press labels every bully type dog a pitbull and we know how accurate that is. Electrolyte drinks (sometimes known as sports drinks) aren't soft drinks, they aren't carbonated, they also shouldn't be confused with 'energy drinks', totally different and opposite effects. Electrolyte drinks are formulated to replace electrolytes in sweat, the negative press is largely hype about the sugar content but the truth is without the sugar the drinks taste like sweat (the ones the hospitals give you don't have sugar in so I speak from experience) and if you are working up a sweat your sugar levels aren't in danger of causing a problem anyway.

An electrolyte imbalance can manifest in all sorts of ways, not necessarily a conscious awareness of 'needing' something, many people are deficient without realising it until it reaches pathological levels. Things like muscle cramps and muscle weakness can be attributed to electrolyte imbalances because muscle contraction relies on the opening and closing of ion channels in cells, sodium, potassium, chloride ions etc go through these gates but if there isn't the right balance of each you can have problems. Most people will get the necessary elements from their diet but if you do sweat a lot or exercise a lot then it's useful to be aware of the possibility of an imbalance.

For people who don't like the tastes of Electrolyte drinks, I highly recommend Hydrolyte Iceblocks! The Orange is still disgusting but the Purple Berry one just tastes like a berry ice block. Just don't let it melt, then you start getting the "sweaty" taste.

You can get them in boxes from any pharmacy, and if you need them ASAP the big pharmacies will generally already have a few boxes frozen out the back :)

I always have a supply of these just in case in my freezer. A lot of illnesses can also make you dehydrated and just one of these seems to do wonders.

Edited by LisaCC