Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

Slightly OT but....

I always found Helen to be an extremely reasonable person particularly when she was trying to stop NSW dogs being left at the shelter because unprepared families were having them shipped to them by a "rescue". She could have gone off her head but handled everything very sensibly and wasn't interested in getting the crazies involved.

Anyway, they will do much better without Mark's input on the whole thing. When he gets on his bicycle and peddles off into the sunset Moorook might actually be able to put a lid on the hysterics.

Still, I don't know the shelter but hope for a quiet resolution that benefits the animals only. Not someone's political aspirations.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My weakness is I will persist if the crazy persists until I am too tired :laugh: Lack of logic offends my Vulcan sensibilities and I also knew that volunteers had cleaned algae out of those containers because they told me. Ordinarily I would laugh at these clowns and move on, but the lies just kept going and going. It's a good thing though to end the public posts because I can put my time into helping make sure everyone is compliant with the law instead. Paul, you guys should be more worried about those you don't know about.

I wonder if he knows DOL is moderated, I am surprised he is a member considering he called it a vile hate page and at one point said DOL was behind the truth page :laugh:

And that only one personality is allowed to post, so he can't create fake accounts to back himself up. And that he'll get himself banned pretty quickly if he goes into personal attack mode as he tends to do on FB.

Edited by minimax

Yes, Troy is the boss here, so Cinch and Fair Go can't join as well :laugh:

There will be a conspiracy when he realises you've magically unblocked yourself and are able to talk to him on DOL :rofl:

Maybe I'm Troy as well, who knows, apparently we are all one :rofl: Someone nameless had a theory, he hasn't met people before that can spell and use grammar correctly, so that's why he thinks we are all the same person, we are all literate :laugh:

I can see how that would be confusing!

I wonder if he will show now he has worked out he can't block what we see. He doesn't seem keen to talk unless he thinks everyone who might question him can't actually see what he says. The people here are also very intolerant of sub standard practices and more than a few know the real story at Moorook.

I doubt he will post as he won't be able to delete his comments and people here will challenge him on what he says and not just take it as blind truth. He hasn't wanted to debate before this, he won't want to now especially here. Probably just a stir to get Jo and Snook all razzed up. Good luck to him.

Sorry Snook, keep getting mixed up between the different pages- my apologies.

According to Paul Snadd, you and Jo have brought shame to the DOL forum and the truth got too close for comfort for you so you have gone. :laugh:

Also funny that someone asks a questions about Wombles - "Got a question guys so hope U don't block or abuse me, but it was pointed out and now I would like to know. Dear old Wombles, was he at Moorook for 4 years, was he about 14 years old, and did he spend most of his time in a run for 4 years without comforts etc an older dog needs and deserves, eg inside time ? Just need to know" and suddenly the post goes very quiet and the only reply in regards to the question was "He had run of the place when he wanted and was more Lolas dog than a resident. I know he was old but not sure how old."

People are starting to ask questions and not just believe everything their all knowing leader has told them. It's a shame the page has been taken down as it was the only place people were staying calm and reasonable and not just jumping up and down when someone on the other "side" said something.

I would have thought with a legal case in the background that Lola's daughter would know better than getting on her high horse and bashing her keyboard but I suppose it is to be expected with the way they are all carrying on. It is only going to harm them more. I didn't see what she wrote but it is unfortunate that she could not stay calm enough to have a civil conversation like most others on that page.

That makes sense, I couldn't work out what had been said just looking at the comments from them but that would fit.

That poor woman, whether she was the one that reported them or not, whether she was behind that page or not does not mean she deserves having all of her personal details put into cyberspace for any person and/or nutbag to access. Whoever reported them first did so because they believed the conditions there were not adequate. That is not a crime.

They told me my boy also "had run of the place". From my understanding it meant he was able to wander around the shelter freely and was not kept in one particular run all the time. I don't believe he was allowed inside Lola's house but I am not sure on that and might be wrong.

Just thought I would add my input to this post, I have always been an animal lover, but never expected to become a rescuer and such a staunch animal rights activists, let alone spokesperson for Moorook Animal shelter.

I have read a few posts on here and thought a quick explanation may be pertinent, My wife and I many years ago started supporting Willow grove sanctuary, that of Peg Solomon, just a little help here and there fostering, and a few dollars when we had spare.

I visited one and could see Peg, who was then in her 70’s needed a hand around the place, so myself and a few friends jumped in and cleaned up, a few years later it became evident she could no longer run the Sanctuary herself, and Parks and Wildlife would have to put down some of the animals due to issues both moving them any distance and of course re-homing them.

So my wife and I put our hand up, we built a small sanctuary on our own property, and moved those animals in need to our home, our property coincidentally was called Willow wood, so we changed the name to Willow Wood Sanctuary.

We so do some rescues still, but prefer to remain small and out of sight, simply because the costs are far greater than I have anticipated, but we love all the animals and my wife treats them better than some people do their own children.

Over the years I have gained a good name in the political arena, albeit as a wannabee polly, but that has enabled me to lobby for a variety of causes with some media support, so when QLD was flooded out a couple of years ago, I help raise money for the rescue groups over there and several tonnes of feed and supplies.

I did this with a promise from a trucking company to take the goods over and I was to spread the money raised by phone, but once we have everything together the truck company lets us down, as did a few others in relation to goods for the many homeless people that the floods created.

I had publically promised to ensure the money and goods were delivered, so I took my hot rod (work in progress out the shed, managed to borrow a huge trailer and myself and a supporter simply headed off to do the job ourselves.

This is where I had the privilege of meeting many great people in animal rescue all be them in QLD, and of course the many carers here that helped me along the way, so this probably concreted my resolve to continue having a special interest in animal care.

In March this year, I was on a self funded trip in Canberra exposing issues within our electoral system, a very special interest of mine. My wife phoned to tell me what had happened at Moorook, I then phoned Lola who we had worked with over the years and where a couple of our furbabies had come from, and she said she needed my help, so I flew back immediately to lend her a hand.

I contacted a few people from Canberra to see what the story was and also had a chat with Today Tonight to see if they could back Lola up, as from what I had been led to believe the RSPCA intervention did not appear to be based around the best interests of the animals involved, up until then I had not visited Moorook personally.

The first visit was an eye opener, the RSPCA arrived and appeared to know little about the act that empowered them, yet I had only studied it on the plane back and when i arrived home, they were earmarking animals but without a vet present, and their understanding of medical issues appeared lack lustre to say the least, this I will explain.

The only dog they showed interest in was a new arrival, it had come with a massive flea infestation, and had been taken to Lolas vets (midway road) and had been treated, the issue was so bad it had to have a section of fur shaved, and it was receiving topical treatment, in the first RSPCA raid a week earlier it had been earmarked to be taken, but I assume they had full vans, so Lola was asked to have it vet checked, even thought she made the officers aware this had already been done.

Lola indeed did take the dog back to the vet, and the vet’s response was why it was back, well this is the very dog on the second inspection that was being questioned, and we all as animal lovers know fur does not grow back over night.

In regards to the shelter itself, it indeed was a mess wound the edges, and the property was also used to recycle scrap metal in the non shelter areas, so indeed Lola needed a hand, that said the enclosures were clean, the dogs happy and healthy and the documents I was given in relation to veterinary checks, desexing, micro chipping and vaccinating showed it was better run that I would have ever expected.

The shelter consisted of an old approved area of 9 concreted enclosures with an attached exercise yards no longer used and run down, A 4 run section for older dogs that was concreted and offered large areas to move again with a huge exercise area, a modern set of 19 concreted enclosures with attached exercise yards, 10 large back yard type settings that had Kennels but no concrete areas (used for animals in long term care) 8 larger enclosures with large kennels (now concreted) another modern run of 9 enclosures also up to modern standards, and a still used quarantine area with 8 enclosures, which met with the latest requirements, but could do with a makeover, on top of this are a few areas, Lola keeps her own dogs.

On the first inspection Lola had 120 dogs on the property and had several experienced volunteers, I was impressed to be honest with the set up in general, but changes needed to be made in both management and in upkeep of the surrounding areas to the shelter.

The 3 orders given by the RSPCA were minor in nature, so 1 weekend conquered them, some loose fencing and the concreting of 6 areas, and we met the RSPCA written orders, from there many good people stepped up and we renovated the entire surroundings, including years of junk that in the most was there when Lola brought the property.

The hardest work was by way of orders from the local council, that went from my point of view beyond commonsense and in fact any local bi-laws, but we complied, this included uncovering drainage pits, that all complied, cleaning the area and even inspections of tool and garden sheds, even an unused shed at the rear of Lola’s home.

Moorooks own records show they have homed in recent years over 2000 animals, which is massive and deserves respect, indeed things do get out of hand in terms of a property of this size when the owner puts the animals first, as for the charges made by the RSPCA, a detailed article is on my site www.markmaldridge.com , so I believe stepping in and helping was the right thing to do, other than my body telling me I am not fit enough for such manual labour 

I used everything at my disposal to help ensure Lola could keep doing what she loved for as long as she is able, media, social networking, and my supporters, I may not have done everything in a way that everyone would agree is right, but I did do the best I could for the right reasons and will continue until the shelter is safe.

All the way along I thought it pertinent to do so in a transparent manner, which is why I posted articles on what had transpired, as I was there for the shelter and I believe Moorook is a grass roots shelter, one that works only through the support and hard work of many.

The shelter is now down to around 50 dogs, and homing rates remain steady at around 7 dogs a week, as a measure to make life easier, I suggested Moorook only take in Riverland dogs from now on, so I believe now the number will remain steady, a new toilet block is going in, a new quarantine area is under construction (air-conditioned) and the old quarantine area will be renovated and used to show case adoptions, so although the shelter can handle up to 140 dogs, development planning will be for a maximum of 60 from here on in.

The cattery is also being overhauled and is looking good, every cat is de-sexed, immunised and treated by a local vet, and just for your information, Lola covers over $4,000 a month in vet bills.

As for the legal’s, I have found a very good legal team to cover the court case pro bono, and we are also having Moorook registered as a charity, until now it was a registered business and has since 1999 been an approved shelter operation.

I note there are a few people on here that back what has happened, and others that differ in opinion, so I post this to show my side of the story, thank you for listening.

Mark

If they are blaming the person that I am thinking they are then that is disgusting as far as I am aware she had nothing to do with the current complaints at all someone else did and it involved their own animal purchased from Moorook. To be honest I am ashamed and disgusted that people involved in rescue and politics have stooped to the level of trying to harass, intimidate and defame innocent people or people asking justified questions. Regardless of what people think others have done and who they think have personal vendetta's against any shelter to constantly bring their name up and threaten them is vile and certainly tarnishes my opinion of rescue. If I was anyone involved in the Moorook saga I would be much more concerned about ensuring that every animal in care is kept in the best conditions possible, have the best medical and environmental enrichment possible and are found the best homes possible. Focus should always be on the animal, not ego's and not personal notority. People need to remember why they are involved in rescue is it for the animals or themselves?

Mark what makes you call your animal rescue a sanctuary as opposed to the hundreds of carers of natives in SA that do it with their own finances and not just a love of animals? Genuine question as I know many people that rescue animals and that is what they are animal rescuers