Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They must have stopped feeding the chocolate milk, I've had three independent people tell me about it. Hopefully the volunteers are working on things like that. The council calling for a shelter to be built and discussing it with the rspca to assess feasibility is very different to the claim by Mark that the rscpa wants Moorook shut down so they can build their own shelter. The rspca shutting her down for their own benefit was part of an overall attack on no kill shelters. He has recently said he will be an animal rights campaigner and I really think he thought he could get the animal people vote if he demonised the rspca.

So since no one can find those shelters that the rscpa supposedly shut down and there is proof that it isn't the rspca but the council looking for a shelter up there he really has been caught in two lies on that subject alone. I hope any of his supporters who read this can see once a pattern of lying has been established everything said is suspect after that.

I'm guessing maybe they had an extension for the lodgement of a DA, thus extending their current status? Who knows.

I think the chances of them existing are slim, Mark could have easily said their names when asked many time but he has never mentioned them again. Maybe the council closed a few shelters for whatever reason and decided he'd blame the rspca to use that to gain supporters in his battle for justice. I have to wonder, has he never come up against people who actually ask for verification before? I guess not judging by his behaviour this time, his opponents probably don't even waste their time. Like when those foil hat wearers try to preach their manifesto, you just smile and nod while planning how to get away.

Just playing catch-up here...

Does the Riverland district have no animal management facility they pay for impounding services?

If true, why not? Does SA not have similar laws about strays, etc, as the rest of the country?

You'd have to admit that if they don't have any council sponsored facility, and have been happily dumping animals on Lola's doorstep for however long and not giving her any remuneration for same, then they've had it pretty bloody good, yes? If they do have a facility, then why have they been dumping animals on Lola's doorstep?

Obviously the facility at Moorook is a dump, and animals appear to stay there for way too long - but if council had been doing the right thing and remunerated Lola for the service she's been providing out of her own pocket, then maybe the place would have been able to do and be better, yes?

T.

I would also love to see an enquiry into the councils role in this. They were complicit in the numbers going over and they did ignore the problems there because it was more convenient to do so. A proper shelter should have been built long ago. The whole area is quite behind in terms of animal welfare and management. So many BYB dogs and cats running loose. I'd watch the Riverland pets for sale and giveaway FB pages and so many ignorant people there. So there would be very little incentive for the council to allocate money to a shelter because the residents don't see it as a priority.

Sorry just dropping in here.

I think you'll find the Councils have small Council pounds, but the dogs are not likely to stay there very long.

Not sure what they do with unclaimed dogs beyond the initial impounding period.

Sorry just dropping in here.

I think you'll find the Councils have small Council pounds, but the dogs are not likely to stay there very long.

Not sure what they do with unclaimed dogs beyond the initial impounding period.

All riverland councils have their own (very small) pounds. Dogs must be collected within 72 hours, if unclaimed after that time they are either sent to Moorook or disposed of by the council.

Here are links to all three local Riverland councils and their contact details. Moorook falls under the Loxton Waikerie Council.

http://www.renmarkparinga.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=172

http://www.loxtonwaikerie.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=405

http://www.berribarmera.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=110

I would also love to see an enquiry into the councils role in this. They were complicit in the numbers going over and they did ignore the problems there because it was more convenient to do so. A proper shelter should have been built long ago. The whole area is quite behind in terms of animal welfare and management. So many BYB dogs and cats running loose. I'd watch the Riverland pets for sale and giveaway FB pages and so many ignorant people there. So there would be very little incentive for the council to allocate money to a shelter because the residents don't see it as a priority.

Yes, I agree.

I didn't even fully understand what the original post was about so am also very confused.

Anyway, moving on. I have had further discussions with the person I posted about previously, who is familiar with the workings of Moorook. They have given me permission to post the following information:

Before the RSPCA raid in March the RSPCA had never identified any issues during their inspections. Of the animals seized by the RSPCA, all except for Gangsta and the kitten that had arrived the night before the raid, would have been at Moorook during those prior visits. I had questioned this person about why so much has been invested in making Moorook visually appealing, instead of using that time, effort and resources to improve the kennels, and they said they can only assume it is to appeal to the council, as the RSPCA really didn’t care about that. A number of people have questioned Mark’s allegations that the push to shut down Moorook is in response to the RSPCA wanting to build their own shelter in the Riverland. Below is an article this person sent to me that appeared in The River News.

This person said that animals are taken to the vet if any issues were identified with their health. This is not solely based on Lola’s opinion and is also be done if any of the volunteers think an animal may need closer inspection. This person admitted Lola really struggles with the idea of putting a dog to sleep but that she does listen to the volunteers when they say the time has come for a particular animal and has also driven animals immediately to the vet upon arrival, to be PTS because they are suffering.

The person I have been talking to confirmed that the information about the animals being fed pies and pasties is true and that they are left overs from a bakery. She said they are still fine for human consumption and that it is not a regular occurrence or a primary food source. She said the dogs get a huge mix of various types of food but mostly get a mix of normal dog food and fresh meat and bones. They said that the dogs do get fresh milk from the milkman but they have never seen them given chocolate milk.

It was confirmed that there has been algae in some of the water bowls at Moorook. The bowls were scrubbed out at least every weekend and possibly in between but not daily. Some of the bowls are cement and even after the algae was removed there was green staining, which may make it look worse than it is. Some of the photos that showed heavily green algae in the water bowls but didn’t have a dog in the run may have been because the workload often meant a water bowl didn’t get emptied when a dog was adopted, until someone put another dog in there.

I was also asked to point out that the footage on the most recent Today Tonight story about Moorook used old footage of the shelter and none of the improvements that have been made to the kennels etc from the working bees.

So some things at Moorook aren't as bad as what they appear but there is definitely still room for improvement and some things should not be happening at all. I wonder what made the RSPCA change their minds about those animals they seized that they had seen beforehand and had no issues with. If Wombles for example was indeed suffering from chronic hydrocephalus, wouldn't this have been picked up in a past inspection? I am not 100% familiar with the disease but from my understanding the symptoms are fairly obvious and it is not something that just happens overnight?

I would also love to see an enquiry into the councils role in this.

Definitely agree.

I can only guess, but maybe they didn't think they had enough to seize the dogs before. The rspca haven't said anything about their previous inspections, so maybe they had given Lola some informal instructions. We all know hard it is to get them act because they do let things go. I have given up reporting to them because they let obviously bad conditions continue with the we can't do anything spiel. I've given up trying to fathom any of their actions, I still can't believe people finally got action on Moorook after all these years.

Unsure if anyone here has access to the Riverland papers? However there was a letter to the editor in the Murray Pioneer today regarding a public meeting held at the Berri Barmera Council last week. The letter is long so I will retype the relevant section only;

... "The topic of cat registration came up. I think that got put in the too hard basket.

If a cat were registered this would give people an idea that it is a much loved pet, not a feral.

A councillor replied that the cost of euthanasia of all feral cats or strays not claimed would be too expensive for the council to wear, then suggested we could "take them to Lola".

Why should Lola bear the burden of the councils problem. ..."

Pretty piss poor attitude from the council given the current circumstances. icon_smile_mad.gif

Unsure if anyone here has access to the Riverland papers? However there was a letter to the editor in the Murray Pioneer today regarding a public meeting held at the Berri Barmera Council last week. The letter is long so I will retype the relevant section only;

... "The topic of cat registration came up. I think that got put in the too hard basket.

If a cat were registered this would give people an idea that it is a much loved pet, not a feral.

A councillor replied that the cost of euthanasia of all feral cats or strays not claimed would be too expensive for the council to wear, then suggested we could "take them to Lola".

Why should Lola bear the burden of the councils problem. ..."

Pretty piss poor attitude from the council given the current circumstances. icon_smile_mad.gif

So - the council is still advocating people take strays or ferals to Lola... even while embroiled in the noting of issues with her facility? Beggars belief!

Looks like buck passing to me... council needs to stand up and take the responsibility they are tasked with by LAW...

T.

Not for the first time, I wonder if Mark understands what irony is?

8976288570_cef8d4d275_o.png

Seriously? Does this man read and digest what he's typed before hitting "send/post"?

Expose... hahaha! Could come back to bite him in the bum methinks...

Pot - meet kettle...

T.

He also has another FB account he uses to attack people that leads back to him, so that is two fake FB accounts he uses to cyber bully. The more he does this sort of thing the more people he has pissed off over the years come out so he is really treading a fine line. You wouldn't believe someone if they just told you the story of this guy would you.

In all honesty, I've found Facebook to be THE place to hang out if one is completely deranged and nasty... I try to avoid it like the plague myself. I actually like staying sane - and fending off crazies just doesn't float my boat.

Really - I don't care two hoots what someone might be saying about me behind my back... I know who and what I am, and what I stand for, and that's really all that counts. If someone I've never met enjoys salacious gossip about me, then quite frankly, it's THEIR problem, not mine.

T.