Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

Ena drank the Kool-aid, she has changed her tune, I knew her in person. Now I'd like to know who has done the "independent assessment", again, vague details. I'd also like to know how every semi-feral cat was caught and taken to the vet for their full health checks. How did they manage to catch them all since they are fairly wild.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the whole fundraising issue and the recent Quiz Night ...

Taken from the FB page advertising the quiz night "Presented by Help Save the Furry Ones and co-hosted by Moorook Animal Shelter, Adopt a Kitty Rescue and Foster Network, and Noah's Ark Small Animal Rescue and Adoption, all profits raised on the night will be used to support ongoing rescue work by the four groups with 10% dedicated to a Trap Neuter Release program for feral cats".

A friend has been told "just over $7000 profit was raised on the night and $4000 on the auction though we are still waiting for some of that to come through. We are currently organising the next one for November".

Some of my friends and I are really worried about what will happen to the money raised (from the recent quiz, and from any future quizzes), if the shelters/rescues aren't acting within the law by accepting proceeds from this fundraising. Can the money be confiscated by OLGC or similar? And we don't want to see the groups get in the s**t, if they accept the money in good faith. As animal lovers, we're concerned that others supporting these type of fundraising activities by attending/buying things, etc will withdraw their support if they think the money isn't going to the rescues it was intended for.

I know what I'm trying to say, but I probably haven't put it very well. I'd be interested to know anyone else's thoughts on the matter. It's just that when you support something financially, you like to think that the money will go where it's meant to, without the recipients getting into trouble.

I was sure he said they had taken to the vet, from his official website http://www.markmaldridge.com/MOOROOK-V-RSPCA-update.html I have the screenshot but will just copy the text for now.

"They also entered the cat enclosures with the same disrespect in relation to safety and quarantine protection, they earmarked this time 2 cats to themselves, but video surveillance showed this, and immediately both cats were taken to the local vet and were back within 1 hours passing health checks, at no stage did the RSPCA bring these concerns to anyone at the shelter, if not for video surveillance, if the animals did have health issues, they could have spread to others in the populations, luckily the RSPCA’s Independent vet, was wrong in her assessment."

Typical, people respond accusing her of coming in "guns blazing" when she asked a simple question. People seem to be a bit touchy about it, which shows it's obviously an issue. Especially if the question was deleted from the Moorook page.

Was the amount raised posted publicly anywhere No1LadyDJ?

Not that I'm aware of. A couple of people did ask on the "Rescues United Quiz" FB page how much money was raised, but there was no reply. The information quoted was received in a PM from HSFO, in reply to a PM asking about total money raised on the night. This whole thing is like watching a multi-car pile-up from a distance, where you can see what's happening and how it can be avoided, but you're too far away to do anything.

Okay, I've looked up the other two rescues on the ACNC Register and they're not listed on there either so the only group involved who can definitely fundraise is Help Save the Furry Ones.

I've also been given some information about the cat situation at Moorook along with approval to share it. I was told there are approximately 60 cats at Moorook and that they are only microchipped if an adopter is willing to pay extra for Lola to microchip them. The person I spoke to said they wouldn’t call what was done a full independent vet assessment of the cats and confirmed it was visual check only with no blood work etcetera done. Apparently the local vet did go to the shelter and make recommendations on changes to the cattery and vet check those cats that could be caught, which means the feral cats wouldn't have been checked, only those who are free roaming and congregate near the front of the property, which would be about 20 or so cats.

One of the selling points from HSTFO's is that they have the fundraising licenses so they are fully aware the others can not benefit from donations/profits they also do not microchip their cats which is not a legal requirement in SA but most rescues do so at least the cats can be tracked back if they are lost. As I said RSPCA would know where these cats came from and the rescue involved so that may not be the last heard about it, being semi ferals I would hate to see the results of feline aids test if they were done

Edited by behluka

Okay, I've looked up the other two rescues on the ACNC Register and they're not listed on there either so the only group involved who can definitely fundraise is Help Save the Furry Ones.

I've also been given some information about the cat situation at Moorook along with approval to share it. I was told there are approximately 60 cats at Moorook and that they are only microchipped if an adopter is willing to pay extra for Lola to microchip them. The person I spoke to said they wouldn’t call what was done a full independent vet assessment of the cats and confirmed it was visual check only with no blood work etcetera done. Apparently the local vet did go to the shelter and make recommendations on changes to the cattery and vet check those cats that could be caught, which means the feral cats wouldn't have been checked, only those who are free roaming and congregate near the front of the property, which would be about 20 or so cats.

One of the selling points from HSTFO's is that they have the fundraising licenses so they are fully aware the others can not benefit from donations/profits they also do not microchip their cats which is not a legal requirement in SA but most rescues do so at least the cats can be tracked back if they are lost. As I said RSPCA would know where these cats came from and the rescue involved so that may not be the last heard about it, being semi ferals I would hate to see the results of feline aids test if they were done

Are you saying that HSTFO's don't intend to share the profits with the other rescues or that they use the fact that they have the appropriate licences to talk other rescues in to joining fundraisers, knowing full well it's illegal for them to do so?

Farking hell ... that's a nasty thought. I'd hope they wouldn't be that underhanded. But it does present a problem, if the other 3 rescues can't accept any money raised, then what happens to the $10,000+ ? Do the rescues accept the money and say "To hell with regulations", or does the money end up going to the only rescue that can legally accept it? And for that matter, who takes care of the money and keeps financial records showing where it came from and where it goes to? And there's a part of me that would also like that question answered regarding Moorook and all the "donations"/"gifts" in Lola's birthday cards/"sponsorship" monies, etc that they've received. Or is that asking too much?

Oh I can see the halo from here

Mark Aldridge

8 hours ago

Many months ago I was asked to help out an animal shelter, mediation appeared to be what was needed, simple I thought, I have always found mediation easy to achieve, find the truth and work with it.......the first few months ended up becoming a hear full time job, and as it was all about saving animals, I pushed through, albeit shedding a few tears....Then it became all about lies, deceit and misinformation, even intimidation, threats and all sorts of horrors, to the stage the wife and I had to sit down and consider the costs of continuing, I am happy to say we decided the consequences of upholding the truth regardless of what they would be, we could handle, more so because we are staunch animal lovers.... to me so many people have lost faith in the truth, that they not only have forgotten its value, they attack its good name. How very very sad indeed.

and his replies to the chorus of "good on you Mark" replies

Mark Aldridge The lines of battle are so blurred, it is hard to now know who the enemy is if that makes sense, every person I know to trust are being attacked by those I thought I could, I will one day help find a way to get the truth back on track in this sad case
Mark Aldridge Seems I will be in courts for a long time to come over recent issues, never ever expected that, and every person who has stepped into defend me or Lola, has also become a target, and indeed several will end up in the courts, i could write a bloody novel lol
Ena Mantzouranis Mark you will come out of the a wiser man, the shelter will survive and new people will join the fight and old ones might need a time for rest, and am sure will take up the fight later.You have done an amazing job as well as all the the other people coming to help at Moorook. It has all been worth it because there has been so many things we never realized and opened a can of worms when it come to the RSPCA. It isn't about you, Lola or me, it is how the animals have lost their rights and someone needs to stand up for it. That is what I am seeing we are doing. As we know the animals at Moorook are not sick, hungry or in danger or are on a time limit as they are in kill shelters. Why does it have to change as long as they go out to homes almost as fast as they come in.And stay away from the negative people, don't you realize they are taking your time away from all the positive things you could be coming up with.

Why does it need to change - :banghead:

Dave Cook It is very dissallusional when you go into a battle and what you think are trusted colleagues and you open your mind and heart to them. These same colleagues then do a complete backflip and provide personal information to others that want to detract you from your course. It almost makes me think that they are trying to muddy the waters to cover up other activities that they may not want to be brought out in the open. The road has got so blurry that a lt of people forget that this battle is THE ANIMALS and nothing more. They create personal vendetta's and try to get you to forget what the goal is and that is to give a Voice to the Animals, big or small. When I started supporting this I never in a blue moon would have thought that I would have gotten accused of being a pedophile in Scouting, that I use my position in Local Council to better the cause and even have to go through the grieving of losing our 2 sons again all because of people that want to cause trouble, not for the cause, but for any supporters. It is the thought of the animals that keeps me going and I will not stop, but with all the other crap that is going on, it just means that I now have more than one battle to fight. The secondry battle will mainly be fought in the courts as I will make sure they come to justice in no uncertain terms. When they think that it maybe over, they will then get attacked with personal law suites. Supporting you all the way Mark Aldridge, through thick and thin.

I think part of his disorder is to accuse those who question him of the exact thing he is doing, it's like he says to himself I am currently telling a lie, must go post that they are lying, it's basically an exact match to his behaviour!

"Then it became all about lies, deceit and misinformation, even intimidation, threats and all sorts of horrors..."

Would love to know why he will be in the courts for a while to come, if people are ending up in courts it's because of their own behaviour.

I can't even think of the right term for it, it's like he has to confess but leaves his name and implies it's his critics doing the behaviours. Quite bizarre as his posts exactly mirror his behaviour. As for the cats, I don't even know how some of them will be caught if they live on the outskirts of the shelter and are semi wild.

I can't even think of the right term for it, it's like he has to confess but leaves his name and implies it's his critics doing the behaviours. Quite bizarre as his posts exactly mirror his behaviour. As for the cats, I don't even know how some of them will be caught if they live on the outskirts of the shelter and are semi wild.

Probably how they were caught in the first place before going there, traps

Then what? They catch them and re-home them as cute little cuddly house pets? I imagine that would work out well :eek:

Mark Aldridge

48 minutes ago.

MY RESIGNATION AS SPOKESPERSON OF MOOROOK ANIMAL SHELTER

Since early March this year, I have acted as spokesperson of Moorook shelter as requested by the owner Lola, and have put my heart and soul into ensuring the shelter has met with all the latest red tape, and that after the initial interaction with the RSPCA, that no more animals were taken without due cause.

This included extensive time away from my work and my career, including around 20 trips to the Riverland dealing with both extensive council and RSPCA compliance orders. I have helped with media negotiation, setting up working bee’s, stepping in to control public anger through peaceful protest and the awareness rally, spent many days refurbishing animal enclosures and cleaning up the property itself as many people know.

May I confirm here, Moorook at all stages had clean safe enclosures other than some wear and tear, and all the animals there were in excellent health, the works required were more so site cleanup and red-tape compliance orders with relate in the most to the continued increase in overzealous legislation .

I have worked with Moorook’s admin to ensure the way forward for Moorook would ensure a capable workload, adherence to all latest red-tape and legislation, and to ensure the Shelter also met the latest OCBA guidelines. A massive work load in the last few months indeed! Moorook at this stage is all but compliant with all orders from the RSPCA and the local council. I have ensured Lola has a superb legal team, acting pro bono for her, and a very experienced development planner is also acting in Lola’s best interests.

The legal team has expanded to cover final development planning assistance, future funding compliance and has indeed steeped up to the mark.

This situation does not mean I step away from being a Moorook supporter, in fact if Lola ever calls or is in need, I will drop everything to be there as I have over these testing times.

I still have plenty of background work to complete in respect to final compliance, and will continue this work as a support service for the legal team and indeed in support of any future needs that should arise.

I will take this moment to mention a few of the issues my wife and I have faced during our support of Moorook, and more so as being the public face of Moorook. There are now hate sites, threats to me by phone and email on a near daily basis. There have been complaints about me to the media, police, and even attempts to undermine my ability to ever again run as a political candidate, all of which relate to my taking up the position of spokesperson.

The fact of the matter is these sad people are a very minor percentage, with Moorook’s social network pages now stronger than ever with a huge 15,000 supporters, making the shelter one of the most supported in the nation, so let’s all ignore the hand full of haters, who in the most, are only special in their own minds.

My wife and I sat down and had a heart to heart over these issues and made the decision to wear the consequences of doing the right thing, and that I continue through until Moorook was indeed complianced and the animals were safe and secure, and this has been achieved.

Moorook Shelter is a very special place, run by a woman whom we should all look up to and is well deserved of the support of any person with a compassionate interest in animal welfare. The volunteers are marvellous people and every one of them has earned my utmost respect.

My wife and I will continue our work in animal rescue and welfare, and my political future will see me continue to have a very loud voice for animal welfare empowerment, and indeed I am sure to continue to catch up with the many new friends and supporters I have made during my work with Lola and Moorook.

I may no longer be needed as spokesperson, but indeed I will be a lifelong supporter, and look forward to helping during future working bee’s, fundraising events or on behalf of Lola if ever she needs me. I thank all those that stepped up and helped, and those that have helped both financially and through adopting animals.

To my close friends and supporters, without you I would never have made it though. You have backed me and indeed Lola without question, working alongside me both in spirit and during the big clean up, and I love you all so much for your support.

I hope to see many of you for the celebrations on the 24th at Moorook Shelter

Mark Aldridge

Independent candidate for Wakefield