Artificial Lawn And Dogs

RallyValley

Ok so eventually (when the builders finally finish it - was supposed to be done early Feb :laugh: ) I will be moving into a new house. I will have a very small yard, I think it's like a 6m by 3m rectangle. I am notorious for being an awful gardener and I'm not sure I want to stress about lawn.

So I want to hear about people's experiences with artificial lawn. Pros? Cons? Does it get stinky? Can I put weave poles in it without killing it?

Very hot ,not sure how easy to wash away urine smell.weeds still grow through the edges so not an totally easy peasy.

It may be a frea thing but am aware of a few people who had issues mating bitches & conceiving & bitches that had pups with health issues after they had false turf put in.

One of the dogs we breed that uses a doggy day care ,they have put false turf in & he now has orange feet & itchy was fine before hand they have had to stop taking him

A friend of mine had it put down and within 10 days it reeked. She is in the process of getting legal advice to get a refund. The urine just pooled onto the rubber backing. I would keep well away from it!

:vomit: Makes me sick to think of it. They had rolls and rolls of it when I was at Bunnings today. Should be outlawed - LOL.

Sorry KHM :).

We live in a unit so it's a small yard and found once we mulched the dog bit with a garden bed along the side we got lots of comments on how awesome it looks. Most people don't believe we have dogs (until they see the hair inside :rofl: ). We had to dig out the first lot of mulch after about 4 years cos it got smelly but I think that was the type of mulch we had, it was prone to going mouldy. I'd highly recommend it as a dog yard substrate.

We live in a unit so it's a small yard and found once we mulched the dog bit with a garden bed along the side we got lots of comments on how awesome it looks. Most people don't believe we have dogs (until they see the hair inside :rofl: ). We had to dig out the first lot of mulch after about 4 years cos it got smelly but I think that was the type of mulch we had, it was prone to going mouldy. I'd highly recommend it as a dog yard substrate.

Do you mean you had real lawn and a dog garden bed or artificial lawn and a dog garden bed?

No we have mulch where the lawn would be if we were normal non-doggy people and a garden bed running along the side just to purty it up. We tried lawn and it died too quickly.

Also the smell doesn't build up if we rake over the mulch regularly, basically so the mulch at the bottom winds up on top. We do that every time we've had heavy rain and it helps a lot.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll get some pics for you so my ramblings make sense :)

That looks pretty cool Jules!

Sadly I need lawn (or something very similar) so I can do a little training in the yard. I have enough room to do some heel work, tiny retrieves or set up a few weaves or a jump, so I want to make the most of it rather then having to leave the house every time I have to train :)

I've had it for three years and I love it.

Yep, in summer it gets hot but no hotter than anything else around it, my dogs love to go and sunbake on it.

Mine has a smell if you stick your nose on it, but not when you are just out in the garden. I'm a foster carer so can have up to 4 large dogs peeing on it too.

Get the good quality one and get a professional to lay it so it drains properly.

My personal opinion is that you should view artificial turf in the home as a replacement for paving, NOT grass. Compared to paving it is cooler, more aesthetic, less prone to weeds, ants, and mineral staining.

If you have urine, it needs to be eliminated. On natural grass, there is plenty of soil for it to be absorbed into, it will be washed from the surface (by rain or watering,) it will be broken down by the microbes and fauna in the soil, and ultimately the nitrates can be used by the grass itself.

With an inorganic surface, the urine won’t disappear by itself. Depending on how your garden is laid out, you may be able to hose it into the garden (otherwise into the drain.) Occasional rain should also do the trick.

There are different constructs of turf. Some use infill, including mixtures of sand and rubber, which might be worse for trapping odorous liquids.

A friend of mine had it put down and within 10 days it reeked. She is in the process of getting legal advice to get a refund. The urine just pooled onto the rubber backing. I would keep well away from it!

:vomit: Makes me sick to think of it. They had rolls and rolls of it when I was at Bunnings today. Should be outlawed - LOL.

Sorry KHM :).

No worries - ours has been great but I would not have gone with the Bunnings one - definitely proffesional job needed.