It's Not (just) About The Dog

Salukifan

I am hardly an expert handler, but will add my two cents :).

This will sound corny, but I'm big on visualising your goal. I mentally visualise myself and my dog winning classes in group/show, and after I started that tactic the wins began to happen. I have done this with one dog and not with the other, so am now making an effort to try and do it with the second dog too. I think it helps in that you begin to have that self belief that you can win, which other people have touched on. You go in to the ring with a different mindset, because you have already played it over in your head, it is something like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Watching video back is another fantastic tool to work out what you could be doing better.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching video of yourself is invaluable.

I have just started doing this again. The trick is not to get all embarrassed watching yourself, but to watch what you and your dog are doing objectively.

HW I will have the video camera with me on Saturday. ;)

:eek:

Thank you but :eek:

:laugh:

All videos are kept private and are only viewed by the vict.... Um Errr person being videoed. :rofl:

Practised this over the weekend and came away with Best of Breed & Junior In Group both days :thumbsup: Have to be honest - I really felt fabulous in the ring and it definitely carried down the lead. Thanks Haredown Whippet for the great timing on this thread :D

Know your dog, understand it's faults and it's strengths is the first step to making it look good. Whilst you can't necessarily hide a fault, you can do a hell of a lot to make sure that it's not glaringly obvious and that's both on the stack and moving.

Get yourself a big mirror and stack your dog infront of it. Walk into position and stack it whilst counting to ten, when you get to ten look up and see what you've got, because that is exaclty what the judge in the middle of the ring is seeing.

Practised this over the weekend and came away with Best of Breed & Junior In Group both days :thumbsup: Have to be honest - I really felt fabulous in the ring and it definitely carried down the lead. Thanks Haredown Whippet for the great timing on this thread :D

Well done!!! :cheer:

Being able to get into the ring, set your dog up and then detach yourself from the moment to take a critical look at the dog and the way you have it set up is also useful. You should be able to see if you've a-framed the dog, understacked, over stacked, pointed it's head in the wrong direction, missed being in line with everyone else and learn that it's not what you want to do next time.

Know your dog, understand it's faults and it's strengths is the first step to making it look good. Whilst you can't necessarily hide a fault, you can do a hell of a lot to make sure that it's not glaringly obvious and that's both on the stack and moving.

Get yourself a big mirror and stack your dog infront of it. Walk into position and stack it whilst counting to ten, when you get to ten look up and see what you've got, because that is exaclty what the judge in the middle of the ring is seeing.

I will never forget you telling me years ago that I had to be able to stack my dog within 3 seconds and I have made sure ever since that I can. I thought at the time it was impossible :laugh: but as I practised and trained my dogs I learnt it was possible.

I will never forget you telling me years ago that I had to be able to stack my dog within 3 seconds and I have made sure ever since that I can. I thought at the time it was impossible :laugh: but as I practised and trained my dogs I learnt it was possible.

It can be a tough one to master, as the dogs often chuck a curve ball at you and it can bring your best plans unstuck

One thing that I see over and again is an overall lack of control of the dog by some exhibitors, some are new, some are old.

One of the first things I was ever taught was to "control the head", it's done with a kind but firm hand and with confidence. I see so many handlers trying to stack the dog and the dog is shifting around in the front end, turning it's head and generally able to shuffle around and do what it wants because of that lack of control.

It can be a tough one to master, as the dogs often chuck a curve ball at you and it can bring your best plans unstuck

Yep - got a curve ball today for "In Group" :laugh: . Ran around and reached the end of the line and got ready to set him up - HUGE pile of rabbit poo right at the nose end of a scent hound... :eek: :eek: . Moved him back away from it and realised that back was bad so moved him forward... Slight panic but got there in the end!

I agree with the negative beaten before you walk in the ring attitude. Recently I had a smack to my confidence with a new dog out. 1st 2shows out my dog and myself looked like crap because in my mind i.d already lost. 3rd show i wasn't going to do... what was the point. then a friend came over and threatened to kick my butt if i ever walked in the ring with that attitude... 3rd show i was relaxed, presented my dog and the dog showed beautifully and we walked away with a 10pt bob over the new dog.

Biggest thing i.ve learnt is to have faith in your own dog. know their faults but embrace their positives. it doesn't matter what other people think... as long as you believe in your dog.

Yep that is what happened to me this weekend Capanash! I went in for Junior in Group and saw my competition - one was a big name with a bitch who has beaten us many, many times!! Immediately I said "God, I've lost already" until a friend reminded me of my positive thinking. :laugh: My big competition are actually good friends and I went up to them said "Forget it, this one is mine!" :rofl: to try to boost my confidence... Walked away with it!! :D

Edited by Trisven13

Before I even get out of bed on the morning of a show, I run through the day in my head. I always go through the motions and picture the outcome I want.

When I'm at the show, I spend five minutes watching the judging to see what the judge wants the exhibitor to do.

I then don't watch the ring at all until it's getting close to my turn in the ring.

Deep breaths, chew mints (it masks the nerves)

Concentrate

Listen to the judge's instructions

I HATE HATE HATE people staring down judges. I glance at them to make sure I'm doing what is required and so I don't miss any cues.

I always spot the judge when doing out and backs so my dog is in their line of vision not me.

I don't listen to other people while i'm in the ring. Inside the ring it's all about the judge outside I'm happy to chat.

Learn to be gracious in defeat before you can ever be gracious as a winner.

Watch other handlers at the show and find one who you really admire as a handler. Watch them carefully, go home and practice what you see, and try to emmulate them.

Try try try to see it for what it is, a fun day out, that one judge's opinion win or lose, and the fact that there is always another dog show.

Leave your wins and losses in the marshalling area, and don't dwell on mistakes. Learn from them but don't beat yourself up. The best handlers in the world still make mistakes.

Before I even get out of bed on the morning of a show, I run through the day in my head. I always go through the motions and picture the outcome I want.

When I'm at the show, I spend five minutes watching the judging to see what the judge wants the exhibitor to do.

I then don't watch the ring at all until it's getting close to my turn in the ring.

This is great except when you have a young Male Afghan! LOL.

Sometimes it pays not to watch the first couple of dogs in the ring as some Judges use them to work out what works for the ring. I had this happen a few times. Go in with the Afghan and the Judge gets me to do one thing, go in later with the Wolfie and it is different. Fortunately I do keep an eye on what they are doing in-between.

This might be a Hound ring thing, due to the difference in sizes of the breeds, some Judges will do different things for different size dogs - Large circle for the big dogs and straight to the table for little dogs etc. If you're not sure always ask the Steward, they usually know what the Judge requires.

Leave your wins and losses in the marshalling area, and don't dwell on mistakes. Learn from them but don't beat yourself up. The best handlers in the world still make mistakes.

This is one I need to work on. I have a habit of letting some handlers and or dogs get to me.