Great Dane Puppy Food Choice!

Fwiw I disagree that a raw diet is unsuitable for growing giant breed pups BUT it does need to be done with care and knowledge as things can need to be done a little differently. I do agree with what others are saying about taking your breeders advice and the advice of those experienced in raising Dane pups as foods that may look great can be highly inappropriate for giant breeds. From my research TOTW is one of these. A food that is suitable for giant breeds can need to be lower in calcium and lower in calories for example. I have found that only a few foods tick the boxes (from my own research and experience for example eagle pack large and giant breed puppy - in the 'red' coloured bag not the holistic select one -and pro plan performance which is an all life stages food which I like slightly better than their large breed puppy as an option.) Different lines can grow differently too so if your breeder has found something that works for her dogs, then I would recommend following that at least in the beginning.BTW SAS that Dane owners guide is fantastic! :thumbsup:

Edited by espinay2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all. The breeder is fully registered and reputable, but she is feeding the pups advance. I would prefer a higher quality brand. I know the change must be gradual. I just wanted to pls know which is preferred between TOTW and Holistic Select :)

Great Dane owners don't really feed either of those products to their puppies. If you have a look in the link I provided you you will see a feed survey in there and you can see what people are feeding. Stick to the Advance, it'll be fine unles syour puppy doesn't do well on it then you can speak with your breeder and chanhe it.

Fwiw I disagree that a raw diet is unsuitable for growing giant breed pups BUT it does need to be done with care and knowledge as things can need to be done a little differently. I do agree with what others are saying about taking your breeders advice and the advice of those experienced in raising Dane pups as foods that may look great can be highly inappropriate for giant breeds. From my research TOTW is one of these. A food that is suitable for giant breeds can need to be lower in calcium and lower in calories for example. I have found that only a few foods tick the boxes (from my own research and experience for example eagle pack large and giant breed puppy - in the 'red' coloured bag not the holistic select one -and pro plan performance which is an all life stages food which I like slightly better than their large breed puppy as an option.) Different lines can grow differently too so if your breeder has found something that works for her dogs, then I would recommend following that at least in the beginning.BTW SAS that Dane owners guide is fantastic! :thumbsup:

Raw diet for a novice is not reccomended. Being a rescuer I see the results of incorrect diets to this breed and it's heartbreaking.

1363918613[/url]' post='6154932']

Thanks all. The breeder is fully registered and reputable, but she is feeding the pups advance. I would prefer a higher quality brand. I know the change must be gradual. I just wanted to pls know which is preferred between TOTW and Holistic Select :)

Advance is hardly rubbish. If your pup's breeder has raised litters of healthy Danes to adulthood on it, I'd be sticking with that.

Between TOTW and Holistict Select, Advance has a lower star rating.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/advance-pet-diets-dog-food/

True, high star rating doesn't mean suitable for your dog and vice versa, but at least we know where they stand from an independent product ingredient table point of view.

'The breeder is fully registered and reputable'. Doesn't mean anything. Perhaps, if the breeder did feed the dogs with a higher quality (if that exists), then the pups may have the next level of health and strength. At least that's just the theory.

Edited by Jess 123

1363918613[/url]' post='6154932']

Advance is hardly rubbish. If your pup's breeder has raised litters of healthy Danes to adulthood on it, I'd be sticking with that.

True, high star rating doesn't mean suitable for your dog and vice versa, but at least we know where they stand from an independent product ingredient table point of view.

'The breeder is fully registered and reputable'. Doesn't mean anything. Perhaps, if the breeder did feed the dogs with a higher quality (if that exists), then the pups may have the next level of health and strength. At least that's just the theory.

Or perhaps, being a giant breed specifically being discussed, the pups would be a total mess after being forced to grow faster than desirable, with the multitude of health problems this causes.

http://www.dogfoodad...diets-dog-food/

I don't think that the product review you linked to is for Advance though. It's an American website and the review is for 'Advanced Pet Diets.' The ingredient listing is quite different to the Australian made 'Advance' dog food too.

I don't feed Advance, but just thought that might be a bit misleading for those that do. My dog's breeder feeds Advance and her reasoning was that it was a food her dogs did well on, and was never effected by supply issues (as can happen with some imported foods).

Probably this doesn't help much, but.....

I've been feeding Holistic Select forever. My guys (bull breeds) love it and thrive on it - yes, yes we add raw for its 'entertainment' value.

I've tried lots and lots of 'high end brands' - so far nothing beats HS.

How many giant breed puppies have you succesfully raised Jess123?

Jess seems to have found that website recently and now it is the bible. Let's hope some poor unsuspecting soul doesn't ow her advice..

That website (and others) was pointed out through other dog owners I met at the park. I was dumb to follow the precedence set up by Vets in Australia (Eukanabe & Science Diet). Those website opened my eyes.

I did bought some large breed brand from Eukanabe before for my Lab....which I always thought she was a large breed. And, no I've not raise any great dane or any dog larger than Labs. My apologies. Didn't know large breed specific matters that much for large breed breeding. Always thought it was just marketing.

And in regards to Advance I think it's a low quality diet, it uses GMO corn (I have asked them directly) and the first 3 ingrediants after the 1st one being chicken (for Total wellness) is all cheap fillers. We only get one chance to grow these Giants properly and set them up why not do it with the correct phos:calc ratios and with high quality ingrediants - Danes are hard enough to grow as it is.

Edited by sas

I don’t really understand the “ask your breeder and feed what they are” mentality. You are making the assumption that the breeder has done extensive research about the absolute best food to feed their puppies, and you are also making the assumption that there are no financial constraints on the breeder - maybe they are feeding what is affordable for them. What is wrong with the OP doing her own research? Breeders are not the only ones able to make informed judgements and do not have a monopoly on canine nutrition. The OP came on asking for other people’s opinions, which she was obviously going to consider as one aspect of her decision- making process and gets told to do as the breeder does rather than think for herself.

Good on you OP for wanting the absolute best for your pup and asking questions.

Yeah that link is for Advanced, not 'Advance'. Totally different product.

I have looked at all options. Ones such as Canidae are great but as Danois pointed out, too high in protein for dane pups.

I've chosen Holistic Select because IMO it ticks all the boxes protein, calcium and phosphorous levels wise for a growing dane, and the ingredients are good quality.

Thanks Kajtek - good to know someone else here has been feeding HS and is happy with it :)

I don’t really understand the “ask your breeder and feed what they are” mentality. You are making the assumption that the breeder has done extensive research about the absolute best food to feed their puppies, and you are also making the assumption that there are no financial constraints on the breeder - maybe they are feeding what is affordable for them. What is wrong with the OP doing her own research? Breeders are not the only ones able to make informed judgements and do not have a monopoly on canine nutrition. The OP came on asking for other people’s opinions, which she was obviously going to consider as one aspect of her decision- making process and gets told to do as the breeder does rather than think for herself.

Good on you OP for wanting the absolute best for your pup and asking questions.

Thank you!!!!!!! I couldn't agree more with everything you have written. I truly do just want the best for my pup, hence all the research and questions. I was simply asking for food opinions but instead got told to stick to the breeders chosen food, even enough as I mentioned the breeder is happy for me to change over (slowly of course) and did not have any significant reasons for sticking to her current food of choice (Advance) other than she likes using Australian products. I am going with Holistic Select after my own independent research. Would have loved to read what other dane owners are feeding or have fed their pups, regardless of what their breeders did or do, but unfortunately that didn't happen.