New Wa Cat Laws Coming In Later This Year

Online Pets

Sounds good to me, they should add in laws about cats wandering also.

Absolutely!

I wouldn't have had to rescue the cat that Bruno chased up a tree in our backyard the other week. It got jammed high up in the damn tree too ( for 8+ hours).

The owners immortal words: "he never leaves our yard." :rofl:

Yeah that was what i was thinking. Why would a cat owner all of a sudden decide to microchip and register their cats? As you said the responsible cat owners will or in a lot of cases already have. Are the shire rangers going to be given the task of collecting roaming cats to check for microchips and registration tags? I think it's a nice idea in theory and maybe a step in the right direction, however i don't see it being successful.

They brought in the same lasw here in Tas last year (possibley just Launceston?) with the fine print it said councils won't be employing anyone to enforce it, lol.

But laws like this don't affect those responsible owners, it gives councils give a way to stop hordeing and situations where people have dozens of cats constantly breeding and getting none desexed. (like two houses down from my house..., we have the 4th generation of kittens born now. :( )

I wish they all would. I don't always agree with mandatory desexing but as long as there is an out for breeders, with cats, I'd support it. They are far more likely to wander and breed than dogs.

In Tasmania, cat breeders who are registered with CCCTas are exempt from the desexing requirement. Breeding cats must still be vaccinated and microchipped though. Tasmania's new cat laws are surprisingly good- they've covered a lot of potential loop-holes while still allowing for responsible breeding of registered cats.

I haven't read the WA laws to see how they compare but Tasmanian laws are here- http://www.thelaw.tas.gov.au/tocview/index.w3p;cond=;doc_id=89%2B%2B2009%2BAT%40EN%2B20130407000000;histon=;prompt=;rec=;term=

They brought in the same lasw here in Tas last year (possibley just Launceston?) with the fine print it said councils won't be employing anyone to enforce it, lol.

But laws like this don't affect those responsible owners, it gives councils give a way to stop hordeing and situations where people have dozens of cats constantly breeding and getting none desexed. (like two houses down from my house..., we have the 4th generation of kittens born now. :( )

I actually contacted DPIPWE about that issue and was given the name of the officer employed by their department to enforce the laws. If you want her phone number, just let me know.

I'm really relieved that we have something at least now. We had a woman across the road from us who sounds a bit like your neighbour- it was a constant stream of kittens, most were ending up feral, getting hit by cars or otherwise disappearing, it was a very upsetting situation because at the time, it was all perfectly legal. I can think of another example of why I'm so grateful for the new laws but that's probably something best reserved for PMs *cough*

I wish they all would. I don't always agree with mandatory desexing but as long as there is an out for breeders, with cats, I'd support it. They are far more likely to wander and breed than dogs.

The same should apply to dogs. It would decrease the number of dog attacks on people and other dogs substantially. And, of course, the huge number of dogs being dumped and euthanized each year.

Let's face it - how many otherwise sensible men refuse to have their dogs desexed for no other reason than the sight of their pooches balls dangling between their back legs, bolsters their own masculinity. It's quite pathetic, really ...