Supplements For Joint Health

Im looking for advice regarding supliments for joint health.

I have a 4yr old Labrador/kelpie cross - Taj - he's extremely active and at this stage I am looking for something to help prevent joint issues as he ages.

I have read that glucosamine, chondroiton (sp?) and MSM are supposed to be beneficial for joint health in dogs. Also that you are able to give them people versions of these products to help with costs as long as the glucosamine is HCL so it is absorbed better. Is this correct?

Does anyone have experience with this at all, what (people) brands do you use? And dosage for required for dogs? (Taj is 30kg).

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Xx Lex

Sasha's Blend, it is available online and from Veterinarians.

My son has two Rotties and they get it sprinkled over their dinner each night, the bitch was just starting to have joint problems, I suggested this too him and after a couple of months she has no sign of her lamenes, so prevention is better than cure in most cases.

He pays aroud $44 for 500gm pot and that lasts him just shy of three months for two.

Sometimes you can get it cheaper by comparing the online shops that stock it.

Sasha's Blend, it is available online and from Veterinarians.

My son has two Rotties and they get it sprinkled over their dinner each night, the bitch was just starting to have joint problems, I suggested this too him and after a couple of months she has no sign of her lamenes, so prevention is better than cure in most cases.

He pays aroud $44 for 500gm pot and that lasts him just shy of three months for two.

Sometimes you can get it cheaper by comparing the online shops that stock it.

Thanks for that! I'll have a look online to see what it says and how much to give my boy.

It's such a minefield to know what to give as a preventitive!

I have used Joint Guard as a preventative in the past. You could also look at the Rose-Hip Vital Canine as a preventative.

Thank you! I'll have a look at that also, I haven't heard of rose-hip vital before. I was looking online to find the approximate dosages of glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM for dogs but can't find a difinative answer. More research is needed I think :)

Rose-Hip Vital Canine is a relative new comer to the market. I have both my dogs on it - my young baby girl and my oldie and I am impressed. The quality of the research I have seen presented on the product is impressive so definitely worth considering.

http://rosehipvitalcanine.com.au/

My old girl has been on Joint Guard for a number of years since she is an active performance dog.

Our vet has recommended the PAW Animal Wellbeing products by Blackmores. Has anyone here tried them?

Yes. I was using the chews. They are easier to give to the dog as against the powder. I did see an improvement in the dog whilst on the chews.

I had a tub of human joint stuff that I didn't like so gave that to the dog when I finished the PAWS. That also worked.

Am currently using Joint Guard, which is also working. But is heaps more expensive so I will try something else afterwards.

I find it works pretty quickly on me and the dog! A week off it and we can both tell too.

We use/sell the PAWS range, all my groom dogs are now bathed in their products, and the chews have become quite popular with our geriatric/joint care patients.

Pernaese powder has been another item used by clients with success. Also the Hills J/D diet trial we ran had some surprisingly good results. All dogs on the trial (solely on the food and nothing else) showed obvious improvement prior to beginning the diet.