Removing The Aged Dog And Palliative Care Forums

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I've said it before: I think there are too many subforums on DOL. So many informative and intelligent threads get missed.

In my opinion there are way too many non dog related threads on DOL. Often when using the 'view new content' option there are so many threads about non dog related issues that one could be forgiven for thinking it's a general chat forum instead of a pure bred dog forum.

If people need the palliative care sub forum they'll find it or someone will point them in the right direction. The palliative care sub forum is a place where we can receive support and advice from others who have experience in caring for a terminally ill dog.

The palliative care sub forum should not be a place for general chit chat or for diagnosis of an unknown or suspected health issue (as has happened in the past). It is a sub forum for those who are caring for a dying dog.

Is there actually any general chit chat at all in the palliative care forum?

I doubt there's general chit chat and trust it will remain so. What happened is that there was a request for opinions on the possible health issue with a sick dog that had not been diagnosed by a vet. This request was followed by comments explaining the exact nature of palliative care.

I think this thread should probably be in the Forum Suggestions forum.

I haven't noticed any general chit chat in there.

Usually someone comes in and starts a thread about their dog and their story - then if others have advice or experience, we offer it.

I know Ollie's thread holds a lot of really useful info on diet for cancer dogs, also out chemo protocol and holistic supplements.

It basically has our whole 6 year journey of living with and treating his mast cell cancer.

I remember Sophie's thread had much of the same.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionally pop into the palliative care forum , where I am amazed at what people are doing, and where I don't comment much, but do think about them all and shed a tear .

I think it is wonderful , small and dedicated , and should remain so . There is MUCH less chance of threads getting derailed, and people who are sharing such an experience can communicate and support each other.

Keep the flotsam & jetsam out ....

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I've said it before: I think there are too many subforums on DOL. So many informative and intelligent threads get missed.

In my opinion there are way too many non dog related threads on DOL. Often when using the 'view new content' option there are so many threads about non dog related issues that one could be forgiven for thinking it's a general chat forum instead of a pure bred dog forum.

If people need the palliative care sub forum they'll find it or someone will point them in the right direction. The palliative care sub forum is a place where we can receive support and advice from others who have experience in caring for a terminally ill dog.

The palliative care sub forum should not be a place for general chit chat or for diagnosis of an unknown or suspected health issue (as has happened in the past). It is a sub forum for those who are caring for a dying dog.

I doubt there's general chit chat and trust it will remain so. What happened is that there was a request for opinions on the possible health issue with a sick dog that had not been diagnosed by a vet. This request was followed by comments explaining the exact nature of palliative care.

If you read my original post you'd know that I did post in there and didn't get much of a response.

If there is no general chit chat in the palliative care forum, why did you complain about it? Or is your actual complaint that this thread has shone a torch on that forum in a negative light?

I haven't noticed any general chit chat in there.

Usually someone comes in and starts a thread about their dog and their story - then if others have advice or experience, we offer it.

I know Ollie's thread holds a lot of really useful info on diet for cancer dogs, also out chemo protocol and holistic supplements.

It basically has our whole 6 year journey of living with and treating his mast cell cancer.

I remember Sophie's thread had much of the same.

Staffyluv I know Ollie's thread and our communication set us on the right track regarding diet. Sophie's appetite improved greatly when we followed your advice.

I found the palliative care sub forum to be of invaluable support and assistance when caring for Sophie.

Sophie's story is in the 'Unwell Rotties' thread. I didn't start a separate thread for her because when I saw people doing the sensible thing and starting a thread on their palliative care dog I had already entered a lot of information about our journey in the Unwell thread.

If you read my original post you'd know that I did post in there and didn't get much of a response.

If there is no general chit chat in the palliative care forum, why did you complain about it? Or is your actual complaint that this thread has shone a torch on that forum in a negative light?

Having a bad day Sheridan or too much time and nothing constructive to do? I did not complain about general chit chat. I said it should not be a place for general chit chat OR a suspected health issue with a dog. Had I been complaing about chit chat I would have use the word AND instead of OR.

Perhaps take time to read and understand the reply instead of being so eager to jump on the attack.

I don't think this thread has shown the palliative care forum in a negative light at all. That may have been the intention but if so, it failed to meet the objective.

Having a bad day Sheridan or too much time and nothing constructive to do? I did not complain about general chit chat. I said it should not be a place for general chit chat OR a suspected health issue with a dog. Had I been complaing about chit chat I would have use the word AND instead of OR.

Perhaps take time to read and understand the reply instead of being so eager to jump on the attack.

I don't think this thread has shown the palliative care forum in a negative light at all. That may have been the intention but if so, it failed to meet the objective.

Dear me, I think you've just proved my point.

Hilarious and so typical. :laugh:

I agree that this thread should moved to suggestions. It's clogging up an area that is otherwise usually reserved for things more worthy of discussion. I think the palliative care and aged threads are just fine they way they are and obviously many others do too given that they are used. Sheridan, go find someone else to be argumentative about.

I occasionally pop into the palliative care forum , where I am amazed at what people are doing, and where I don't comment much, but do think about them all and shed a tear .

I think it is wonderful , small and dedicated , and should remain so . There is MUCH less chance of threads getting derailed, and people who are sharing such an experience can communicate and support each other.

Keep the flotsam & jetsam out ....

Excellent post persephone. That is exactly how we who have had cause to be part of the palliative care thread see the purpose of the thread. Thank you for stating your opinion so clearly and compassionately.

:thumbsup: persephone and CavNrott. So well said. Like others, I don't go there all the time - but occasionally will check on a 'resident' - and either shed a tear, or as pers said, marvel at what can be achieved.

Thank Dog I don't have a dog in that category at the moment - but the time will come, and I for one find it comforting to know that those threads are there in case of need. I think it could be said that they embody one of the great strengths of DOL - the knowledge that there are others who have been there, know how you're feeling, and can provide the sort of support that only other dog people can provide - as well as practical suggestions.

As far as I am aware Troy has said there is no intention of getting rid of the forums so the hysterics can stop right there. As to the content, my concern is, as stated all along, is that some threads get ignored. When it's so strongly insisted that it's all about support then those who don't get responded to or supported would feel that rather keenly. Thankfully, when my dog was so very unwell I already had support in a thread elsewhere.

Thanks for pointing this out Sheridan. It's a large forum now and things do get lost.

I'll check more regularly in case my aged and palliative experience is of some help*. Being alone with just google and sooo many questions will do your head in.

Pity there aren't more of the older rescuers posting anymore. Having a rescue's access to medical and colleague backup is vastly different to going it alone. I wouldn't and couldn't do one more dog otherwise.

* no substitute for veterinary care

As far as I am aware Troy has said there is no intention of getting rid of the forums so the hysterics can stop right there. As to the content, my concern is, as stated all along, is that some threads get ignored. When it's so strongly insisted that it's all about support then those who don't get responded to or supported would feel that rather keenly. Thankfully, when my dog was so very unwell I already had support in a thread elsewhere.

Maybe we need a disclaimer up there stating that if your thread doesn't get a response, try posting elsewhere.

Or if you don't get a response, it doesn't mean that no one cares, it's just that they don't have anything constructive to offer..

I have honestly never seen a thread in there that is looking for sympathy - all the ones I have read, have been looking for advice.

If I can offer advice, I will, if I can't then I don't respond. There is no point in me posting my sympathies when they are actually after advice on health care or suggestions on diet etc.