Squeakers In The Ring

washa

I am just wondering if it is ok to use a small squeaker in the ring for my dog to get his attention. I am guessing some people in with me wont like it but am just wondering what the general feeling is - is it ok or not. I wouldn't use it lots, just a little.

thanks

I have no issues providing it is used within reason.

I use one for my individual exercises but would rarely use it in a line up with other dogs.

Some people use them so often the dogs don't care anyway .

If you do use it over the top you will soon get told

What Showdog said.

I train my puppies for the show ring with food treats, cheese Kabana, called something else in the Eastern states, is a long thin smoked sausage, I never never throw it around the ring like some people do, mine are trained that they know what is in my pocket and when they complete the training or in the show ring they will get a bit of it when it is all over.

Cannot abide by people chucking their dog treats in front of the dog in the ring.

If you have a puppy/dog that is food orientated this is by far best way. :)

I use one for my individual exercises but would rarely use it in a line up with other dogs.

If you were using one in a line up behind me, I'd probably not be too thrilled. I really don't need my dog trying to turn around while he's being judged.

For individual judging? Fill your boots.

If you were using one in a line up behind me, I'd probably not be too thrilled. I really don't need my dog trying to turn around while he's being judged.

Pretty much how I see it and use them too.

Keep in mind some people make more noise than a squeaker ,if a judge wants ear expression especially when we showed the greys then yep i would use what worked although its easy to manually get them alert ,i don't abuse tools in the ring & my dogs don't react to other peoples choice of "poison" for getting there dogs attention they focus on me but i have shown against some people who are quick to tell other people off for using squeakers but have no clue how annoying some of there own habits can be .

Bait throwing doesn't bother me either when done discreetly & handlers pick up what they throw ,Done discreetly most people would hardly even now its being done but again when a dog is train it will work with hand gestures

I hear ya HW.

In a Puppy In Show line up, I actually had a handler directly behind us (and I mean very close) throw his bunch of keys for his Puppy's attention and they hit my Puppy on the hocks. I was hardly surprised when my girl broke her lovely stack to turn to see what had hit her. Pity, the judge was giving my bitch a damn good look prior, (one of those times where everyone tells you afterwards as well as that knowing feeling you get in the ring). Don't think she saw what happened and I am too soft to do much else than give a bit of a glare.

I guess in this situation I would have preferred a squeaker, LOL.

Bait all over the ring is the bane of those at the end of a group. You could feed a dog for a week on all the stuff pitched around and too bad if you have a food orientated breed at the end. I struck a judge some months ago who threatened to toss exhibits out if they didn't pick up their bait.

I hear ya HW.

In a Puppy In Show line up, I actually had a handler directly behind us (and I mean very close) throw his bunch of keys for his Puppy's attention and they hit my Puppy on the hocks. I was hardly surprised when my girl broke her lovely stack to turn to see what had hit her. Pity, the judge was giving my bitch a damn good look prior, (one of those times where everyone tells you afterwards as well as that knowing feeling you get in the ring). Don't think she saw what happened and I am too soft to do much else than give a bit of a glare.

I;d have picked up the keys and pocketed them!

Squeakers are fine for individual times, but not for line ups.

We had a chap one year who insisted on using a clicker to get his dogs attention (ie click to get the dog to react, not as a training aid to mark when the dog was doing something right). So we had other dogs who were clicker trained stopping what they were doing to get their reward!

I hear ya HW.

I;d have picked up the keys and pocketed them!

Damn good idea... pity I didn't think of that :laugh: Oh and I forgot to mention that this Puppy took out PIS, so his behaviour was not setting a good example for other handlers.

Washa, i agree with what the others have said, the way i have found works with my girl is i have a squeker that is in the shape of a squirial. when we are individualy judged i sometimes squek it but in the line up i just show her the tail and most of the time get the same result. as soon as we get out i then let her have it as a reward.

But then you can add the males that run around the ring with a pocket full of coins & there keys & make enough noise to wake up the dead plus put there own dogs off :rofl: .

Just like those who where heels in the ring on a hard surface,its amazing how many dogs shown by those handlers dislike it yet they don't notice .

We can all do annoying things we need to remember that sometimes we don't always realize it & some people focus on other things like its the Devil in the ring when it really isn't that bad .

Edited by showdog

That;s true, but a little consideration goes a long way.

If there is a dog i like in the ring, I will give it chance to settle but it is funny how some judges will just write a dog off for not perferming perfectly 100% of the time.