Hound Rescuers - Any One Have Room For An Ibizan?

There have been about four through rescue. As there were two large (10 or so) crossbred litters from the same source I suppose that's not too bad. But the first litter were sold through Pets Paradise - as were some purebred afghans from the same source, and some of those have come through rescue too. It's from the PP sales that the rescues have come. The later litter came to rescue as tiny pups and have had much better success. Probably just due to upbringing and appropriate adoption.

Some of the PP litter were sold to people with no idea. One at least was pretty much left to grow up in a backyard alone. So you have a crossbreed with potentially independent tendencies from the Afghan side, and some highly strung and more needy requirements from the Pharaoh side. Both breeds are not really for beginners, or even the faint hearted sometimes.

Both parents of these litters were temperamentally sound, absolutely chilled and easygoing. But they had good upbringings and only came into unpleasant circumstances later in life. So I think the environmental factors for some of the pups have had a huge impact.

So at least one though rescue took considerable time and work - he was very independent. AWL never quit on him. But the other thing that you're up against here are that these sorts of hounds don't respond well to shelter situations, no matter how good. He did end up going through foster and adoption but will always be a slightly challenging dog to live with. But he has an experienced home that love him.

The one currently with AWL was (as far as I know) a full time house dog his whole life, but when his owners separated that changed to more and more alone time, and repeated escape attempts. So he ended up in the pound a couple of times and eventually surrendered.

AWL took him on as well - number three of the litter for them. :thumbsup: But he is struggling with his environment now - can't say I blame him!! Not like his brother, he's a much more outwardly loving and possibly a bit of a sensitive boy. Again he will respond much better to to foster care and eventual permanency. But the in-between stage is tough.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like Miss Ibizan will be going go live with my work colleague. :D She will have a 7yo Ibizan boy for company, get to go to work with mu friend, etc.

That's great news :thumbsup:

I saw the ad was removed yesterday and I was hoping it was your work colleague :)

Well it looks like Miss Ibizan will be going go live with my work colleague. :D She will have a 7yo Ibizan boy for company, get to go to work with mu friend, etc.

That's great news :thumbsup:

I saw the ad was removed yesterday and I was hoping it was your work colleague :)

WOW - that is fantastic. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You can keep us adicts posted on progress. :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd give you all an update on the Ibizan. Alice finally arrived in Melbourne on Sunday and came to work with my colleague on Monday and Tuesday. She is GORGEOUS!! She is very nervous but is improving so quickly. She has already started wagging her tail at us and loves when we wrap her in blankets on her bed. My colleague and her family just adore her. :) And Cheech is so excited to have another Ibizan in the family lol.

Photos as promised. :) She is already so much braver and I got tail wags and kisses this morning. :) Just FYI, she is on a chain at work because she hangs out in our staff room which can't be shut off. At home she is apparently in love with the whole family now and likes to sleep in my friend's bedroom. :)

Having a scratch with another colleague:

ADBFE597-B316-42EE-879D-9AE91725F17D-2343-0000057AD9633143.jpg

So pretty!

5611B5B0-0448-456D-A268-BE72C43D4BA5-2343-0000057AD6BD294A.jpg

And with Cheechy :)

B646B2A8-0262-426B-AABB-763EC58A7B76-2343-0000057ADAA920FE.jpg

Kirty - she's too thin, shouldn't see ribs like that and her "bottom bones" are also visible. Lean is one thing but she's too thin - you should not be able to see the whole rib cage on a sighthound and you should never see the bottom bones protruding like that.

She's also gone to VIC and the winter will be too hard on her, she needs to be fed up before the really cold weather sets in and she probably already needs a coat.

I've looked at the pictures, it's a fine line but those bottom bones need covering.

They make a lovely pair!

Edited by dogmad

She is a bit thin but the breed is meant to be skinny. If you look at these pics you'll see that they are kept very lean. :)

Well speaking as someone who goes by looks, I would say there is a difference between skinny and lean. Skinny means too thin. I cannot believe that someone could find that anything but unattractive and worrying. Sorry. Sticking out bones?? Nope.

I agreed she was a bit too thin?? My friend is an experienced sighthound owner and has it all under control. She knows Alice needs to gain some weight and has already ordered her a coat. She is an indoor dog now so its not like she will suffer in the cold. I don't like the really skinny look either but its how many sighthounds are traditionally kept and shown.

I'm happy being able to see the last rib on my dogs but no more than that, so she is too skinny for my liking but it sounds like it's all under control and she'll be looking healthier very soon. She's a beautiful girl that's for sure!

She's not going to be shown is she? One of those breed pics of the breed is horrifying, the dog would have to be starved to be like that and dog judges shouldn't be demanding that dogs look like that.

When a dog isn't starving hungry they are much better behaved. A few years ago I came across a Belgian Shepherd, I'd seen this dog many times before but never touched it. I recoiled in horror - it was skeletal. Turned out the owner only fed the dog on bones as she didn't want a fat dog. I was absolutely horrified and told her to get the dog to a vet immediately. Asked her why she thought that supermarkets sold dog food in the form of biscuits etc - it's because dogs cannot live on bones.

I talked to some of the local dog owners in the dog park nearby (I don't go there normally) to see if they knew where she lived, this was an RSPCA case for sure. They knew the dog and owner and had no idea that the dog was so thin due to it's heavy coat but said the dog acted like it had ADD, it was crazy but they wanted to help the owner.

Crazy hungry .... they helped this owner get the dog back to a normal weight and the crazy behaviour disappeared. Makes me wonder if this has been part of the reason that this girl was escaping.

Starving people or dogs in the longer term will lead to health issues including arthritis. You can Google and read papers on the subject.

Edited by dogmad

She's not going to be shown is she?

If she was going to be shown it would be more likely that she would be overweight than underweight in my experience.

Understanding that I'm going on the photos only and haven't seen or put my hands on the dog - while I wouldn't want her to lose any more I'm not worried by that weight. You can see she has good muscle tone. I've had young dogs that looked like toast racks no matter how much food you pumped into them, and then later they can be pudgy on half a cup of kibble and 1 2x4 a day. Their metabolisms are interesting, which is perhaps not surprising given the origins of many of these hounds.

Photos are also a bit tricky. I've just had two Salukis in quarantine and initially they lost quite a bit of condition tho' they recovered it later after the staff and I hit on a winning menu. Depending on the angle and the light, they either looked fine or underweight. In person I could tell that their coats were glossy and they were active but they were too light for me.