Been Asked To Do A Performance With My Dog!

Lollipup

So I run a dog training business and I write articles for a local magazine that goes out every 3 weeks to 22000 or so homes. They are up to their 100th issue and are having a big celebration for it in May. They called me today and asked if they could interview me on stage about what I do etc. Then she asked if I could do a performance with a dog! She mentioned the youtube video of the dog dance routine on Britain's Got Talent. Well, no way do I have time to prepare something like that. I told her my dog can do a few tricks and she wants me to do it with music playing. Chester knows a few moves but I would really need to practice them and proof them.

He knows: leg weaves stationary and walking, left and right paw while sitting, shake, play dead, sort of knows a bow but we could work on that, heel, roll over, beg, fetch. He did know putting items in a bin but hasn't done it for ages.

Can anyone suggest a simple routine or any simple ideas based on what he already knows - maybe one easy new thing thrown in. I have a month but I have a lot of stuff on right now!

ETA: He has done tricks in front of crowds a couple of times before but nothing this big. But he did well.

Edited by Lollipup

I think you need to explain the difference between a dog trainer and someone who competes in Dances with Dogs.

My dog does a fair few tricks but no way have we got them going to music. I do quite like the KMart TV add music tho - Boom Boom Boom.

What I'd do - is cheat. I'd ring up some friends who do DWD and get them to do the demo - cos I so love having my photo in the news (not).

I think she just wants music playing in the background to make it more interesting. I explained to her that we can do tricks but not a dance performance.

Becks, the magazine is having a big event to celebrate their 100th issue and that's why they want me on stage.

There are no local DWDs where I live :(

Is there anyone else you know & trust who could perhaps do a quick 'synchronized obedience' display with you ? two very different dogs ...both obeying the same commands ?

An amusing twist might be a retrieve using something unusual ....like a packet of bikkies , or a small basket .....that sort of thing?

or can you get a stooge in so you can teach a lesson infront of people, with that person acting as a beginner dog owner, so you can take them through the basics and then just show off a few tricks at the end - so cover manners and advanced training.

I think you could go two ways. You could do a serious routine, trying to get say audience members to distract your dog while you are giving it commands. This would show the audience how strong that bond can be and how it is possible to have your dog do as it is told if people persist with what they have learnt. Or you could make it funny and do a skit perhaps like say you were trying to walk but your dog kept weaving between your legs almost tripping you up, dropping your car keys and your dog keeps taking them and putting them in the bin. Does he take his cues from you verbally or in hand signals? If in hand signals then you could verbalise 'sit' but give a different hand signal so he plays dead or tries to shake when you tell indicate to fetch. Could he fetch multiple things like say you were almost doing a juggling act together? Make it look fun and silly but it would also show how possible that bond is between owner and dog and you would be showing basic commands that anyone can teach their dog, so you can verbally talk about how simple it is but how it can be made fun for both of you.

Just ideas as I'm trying to think of how to wow the audience while keep it to things your boy already knows.

I think you could go two ways. You could do a serious routine, trying to get say audience members to distract your dog while you are giving it commands. This would show the audience how strong that bond can be and how it is possible to have your dog do as it is told if people persist with what they have learnt. Or you could make it funny and do a skit perhaps like say you were trying to walk but your dog kept weaving between your legs almost tripping you up, dropping your car keys and your dog keeps taking them and putting them in the bin. Does he take his cues from you verbally or in hand signals? If in hand signals then you could verbalise 'sit' but give a different hand signal so he plays dead or tries to shake when you tell indicate to fetch. Could he fetch multiple things like say you were almost doing a juggling act together? Make it look fun and silly but it would also show how possible that bond is between owner and dog and you would be showing basic commands that anyone can teach their dog, so you can verbally talk about how simple it is but how it can be made fun for both of you.

Just ideas as I'm trying to think of how to wow the audience while keep it to things your boy already knows.

Oh I like that "funny" idea.

I was going to say go serious and show awesome dogs can be when you put effort into them, but LG's funny idea is much better, especially as it works on your dogs existing skills.

I like that funny idea too! Thanks :) Will sit down and write out what he knows and see what I can come up with that is simple yet effective. He knows both verbal and hand signals and of course picks up on body language really well.

I reckon from what you've said he can do you can do a little dance routine. Not that I know anything particularly about DWD - we're just about to start. But if you cut a 1 minute segment of music and during just get your dog to heel (if you can throw a spin in to the heeling it looks impressive but is easy!) and then stop periodically and toss in a few tricks and then put some leg weaving in there also. 1 minute will be gone in no time!!! And while we think those things are just things our dogs do other people are amazed by them!!!! I did a "Kenzie show" yesterday for about 30 kids here at work, and all she did was beg, shake, hi-5, wave, hi-10, spin and maybe a couple of other things and they were all mezmerised for the entire time and then came up and got to shake hands with her and hi-10 her!!! we often take the things our dogs do for granted! You have a great repertoire there!!