Whippys With Muzzle's On In Dog Park

juice

I had an idea, and I am not even sure if it is a good one or one that I would do myself, but a point for discussion nonetheless.

Would it be worth mentioning the issue to council? That way, if anything was to happen there is a history there of public concern for the behaviour and welfare of these dogs. If an amstaff type dog decided that they had had enough one day and snapped (just in a "get off me kinda way") it could go against them purely because of their breed, even if they were not to blame for it. If there is a history of these whippets on record, however, it could help their case.

I dunno, just thinking out loud at this point. I don't ever go to dog parks so I don't really know the inner workings of these things.

I think if it picked a fight with either of the 2 young powerful amstaffs i have seen in there most days , who get very overstimulated the muzzle would be very detrimental.

Sounds like these dogs aren't suitable for the dog park either ....

I guess the owner of the Whippets thinks they need to run, she could be right but she needs to find somewhere safer to let them off with or without muzzles and certainly no other dogs around.

Dog parks are far too risky, I've totally given up taking chances.

Not a bad idea actually :thumbsup:

It would be a good idea for a ranger to pop down and see them in action and make a note.

No Dogmad, they shouldn't be in there, one gets very much in the others dogs faces, and doesn't stop, his owner seems to have watched a bit too much Ceasar, and will alpha roll him ,or dig him in the sides when he won't leave other dogs alone.

Edited by juice

I think if it picked a fight with either of the 2 young powerful amstaffs i have seen in there most days , who get very overstimulated the muzzle would be very detrimental.

I think the muzzle would do crap all except maybe make it marginally less dangerous to intervene.

Either way it's conjecture, but I can say that I would be mightily pissed off if someone knew their dog might injure other dogs but chose not to muzzle them in case they had to "defend" themselves. My dogs don't even use their mouths in defence 99% of the time, and when they do they only leave slobber. If someone's dog injured one of them because the owner felt a muzzle compromised their safety I would be absolutely ropable. How selfish and irresponsible. If you have a known biter who may do serious damage you have an obligation to manage that very real risk before you manage a perceived potential risk to your own dog's safety. If that's unacceptable to someone then they should keep their potentially dangerous dog out of public places period.

We don't know whether these dogs have that history. If they don't I still wouldn't be particularly concerned about their need for their teeth as defence. Like I said, mine barely even use theirs and they certainly haven't ever seemed to need them.

Why on earth would she continue to take her dogs to a dog park when others are there when they have had serious enough issues that she now feels the need to muzzle her dogs and yell at people? Doesn't seem like an enjoyable experience for anyone involved, dog or human :confused:

Sorry to be so blunt, but from what Juice has said, it is because she is stupid. She is probably one of those people who thinks they know all there is to know about dogs. She also sounds a very angry person.

Its sad for the whippys, she said they came from the RSPCA , she got one 3 months before the other, they are siblings, but one was being rehabilitated first, there dad was there too but was pts she said.

I am sure we will be there again over the hols, i havn't seen here before, but am wondering for their sake if i should just tell her the risk she is putting her dogs at, and that their behavoir is leading to the problems.

Yes, this is how I feel after reading your posts. Poor dogs probably don't know whether they are Arthur or Martha. She needs training first, but I hate to imagine her reaction if you tried to help. :cry:

I think what Juice is getting at is not so much that these whippets are muzzled but that this lady believes they can't start anything because they have muzzles on. Apparently in this lady's mind, the only way for a dog to gain an aggressive response from another dog is to bite. So she's putting her dogs and other people's dogs in a risky situation because she doesn't understand the basics of dog behaviour.

Edited by mixeduppup

I think what Juice is getting at is not so much that these whippets are muzzled but that this lady believes they can't start anything because they have muzzles on. Apparently in this lady's mind, the only way for a dog to gain an aggressive response from another dog is to bite. So she's putting her dogs and other people's dogs in a risky situation because she doesn't understand the basics of dog behaviour.

Yes, I fully understand what juice is getting at and I am agreeing that it is sad. The dogs have a owner who is very lacking in just the basic skills.

Yesterday I met someone who said she'd had a Kerry Blue previously. I said how did you go, I believe it's a breed that isn't so great with other dogs?

Turns out that she'd actually purchased 3 x 7 month old KBs from a breeder (this shocked me). She gave one away and kept the other two.

One of the two she kept was aggressive with other dogs, esp small dogs and would attack them in the street or make a bee line for them at dog parks when she let the dog off the lead, so she euth'd the dog as it was a liability.

I kept my mouth shut as I have never met this person before but I was horrified for several reasons. No need to have euth'd the dog, just don't go to bloody dog parks or let it approach other dogs when you know it's aggressive.

And this is what we are up against, people who don't or won't take responsibility for their dogs' behaviour and inflict it on other people.

Edited by dogmad

A little off topic, but when I take Esky down to the inlaws place i muzzle her, in th interests of safety of the idiotic free ranging chickens. I normally have her leashed or.crated unless I can watch her. My father in law decided to let her out into the yard while I was in the loo. No joke within a minute she had managed to chase and catch a chicken. Luckily the strength of the bite was reduced enormously and she only ripped.out feathers. But the.muzzle did nothing.

Moral of the.story, the whippy lady is tripping.

Oh an thankfully the chiclen.from.my story only los some tail feathers, she's still fine

We have suicidal chickens, and they have escaped from their run only to be half plucked by the dogs before we could rescue them. They are as tough as they are brainless and still try to get out!

I live in a regional NT town with loads of loose dogs so I take my dogs away from town to walk them. Was doing tracking training the other day and had a group of little fluffies "attack" us while we were mid track and if my dog had bitten them on his lead it would have caused all sorts of issues due to his size I'm sure.