Hipdisplasia In Lab

Sam321

A have a wonderful lab pup that came with very good pedigree lines that may have hip displasia.

She is 4 months old and just gorgeous,she already brings me her lead and my sneakers voluntarily yo go for walks ,she never forgets her treat traing bag lol.

I love her dearly she kisses on the cheek and loves my children one of which has a disability.

A breeder has said that she has hip displasia , I cried all night and was miserable I know how bad it can be.

I have booked an X-ray for her of which I'm. Told they anesthetise while doing which does have risks.

She was bought foe breeding and special needs companionship/aid.i was so gutted.

I since have been told that this breeder and competitor who has dogs the same age as mine can mislead people in order to remove the competition.

Is this true and who can you trust if so.he has had 30 yrs exp and I am a newbie keen on learning from people that have experience.

Surely he wouldn't go so far to remove us from the next event.

Sould I go ahead with X-ray and believe warning from another competitor of possible misleading or not

Vets like making money so will they lead me astray

I really love my dog and would desexualise or get put down if necessary

She was bought from a reputable breeder and can be taken back within 12 months but I already adore her

What should I do

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See your vet. It may not come down to needing an x-ray.

What were the pup's parents hip scores?

People only succeed in removing you from competition if you let them. Arm yourself with facts and find a vet you can trust.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Guest Clover

First call your breeder or mentor and talk to them. Have the x rays done to determine if there is a problem. And then go from there.

If you do opt to get xrays taken, its very important you go to a vet who is experienced in taking and interpreting the xrays. If the pup is positioned incorrectly or the vet is inexperienced in reading the xrays you may be no clearer as to if the pup has problems or not. Your breeder should be able to advise you of the vet they use, or one in your area to use.

at 4 months of age you would need to find a vet who can do pennhip xrays.

Don't panic.

You also need to be aware some vets misdiagnose hips and recommend expensive operations when there is no need.

Ring you breeder.

at 4 months of age you would need to find a vet who can do pennhip xrays.

Don't panic.

You also need to be aware some vets misdiagnose hips and recommend expensive operations when there is no need.

Ring you breeder.

Mmm I have had experience in misdiagnosis some twenty years ago mind

Friend had a supposed leg broken and the cast came off next day was running around.

I guess who to trust is the question ,the lovely lady I bought my pup from or vet or club breeders/possible competitors

People don't really pull horrid untrue statements like this surely,to be in competition one must love the sport and dogs and companionship that I'm hoping comes with

People don't really pull horrid untrue statements like this surely,to be in competition one must love the sport and dogs and companionship that I'm hoping comes with

It's still competition. It brings out the best in some and the worst in others.

You said she brings you her lead to go for walks - I hope you aren't walking her far. Large breed puppies should not be over-exercised. Environmental factors can cause hip displaysia as well.

Edited by *kirty*

You said she brings you her lead to go for walks - I hope you aren't walking her far. Large breed puppies should not be over-exercised. Environmental factors can cause hip displaysia as well.

No I'm unfortunately not the fittest person around ,I only walk around the block and sometimes park

I aim to go a little further every week though trying to run but haven't managed more than about ten metres:) going to far won't be a problem but I do do a lot of standing and stay ,sit and down and different directions she is a really clever dog who simply loves her walk and pats

She taught herself that trick :)

No I'm unfortunately not the fittest person around ,I only walk around the block and sometimes park

I aim to go a little further every week though trying to run but haven't managed more than about ten metres:) going to far won't be a problem but I do do a lot of standing and stay ,sit and down and different directions she is a really clever dog who simply loves her walk and pats

She taught herself that trick :)

I don't have steps at home and always lift her into car,she sleeps outside on a soft heron type of bed in a play cubby house,she is an inside and outside dog

Firstly please don't panic.

Secondly every sector of life has nasty people, dogs are no exception.

Thirdly how is your puppy? How is she walking/trotting/running?

What is it that led this person to state they think your pup has HD?

Fourthly dogs can have HD and no one is any the wiser until a dog is xrayed for hip scoring etc. some dogs can be very lame but show little change on X-ray.

Guess what I am saying is a person cannot categorically say a dog, especially a 4 mo puppy has HD from observation alone

Not quite clear from your post

Are you basing this on another breeder, who is not a friend of your puppies breeder & a rival quite openly, making a remark that your puppy has this problem ?

If yes what is this based on ?

Are you having problems with your puppy ? Was your puppy vet checked before it came to you ? Have you any reason at all to think your puppy has this problem ?

I would not be booking an Xray & anaesthetic based on a random remark by someone who doesn't like the breeder.

Why did this person say your puppy has this ? Why do you believe it ?

Firstly please don't panic.

Secondly every sector of life has nasty people, dogs are no exception.

Thirdly how is your puppy? How is she walking/trotting/running?

What is it that led this person to state they think your pup has HD?

Fourthly dogs can have HD and no one is any the wiser until a dog is xrayed for hip scoring etc. some dogs can be very lame but show little change on X-ray.

Guess what I am saying is a person cannot categorically say a dog, especially a 4 mo puppy has HD from observation alone

She runs at the beach freely seems fine more jumping and playing with waves though

She trots well I think

She walks with a waddle and her back legs do seem a little tight,

I asked the most experienced breed at our club for his apinion as a lady behind me commented on her waddle,I later found out that her dog was one of his and completing in the same comp

They both seem like nice people though

Later another person of good standing said to still enter and he was probably trying to put me off.

Both people r very experienced in showing and both r lovely?

In my apinion she has a waddle and has had the entire time I've had her but it is becoming more pronounced,or maybe I'm just walking her more now

At 4 months I wouldn't think you'd see many signs of HD. X-rays may also be inconclusive as there is a lot of development to happen over the next few months, but even so, they would be the best place to start. Good luck!

Growing large breed pups can have loose joints for the first several months of life.

Keep her lean, don't over exercise, don't let her jump from any heights. Chat to her breeder for advice, and a trusted vet if need be.

No need to X-ray because of one person's comment. If the breeder and vet seem to think there could be an issue then by all means, but a relative stranger? Save your money :)

Not quite clear from your post

Are you basing this on another breeder, who is not a friend of your puppies breeder & a rival quite openly, making a remark that your puppy has this problem ?

If yes what is this based on ?

Are you having problems with your puppy ? Was your puppy vet checked before it came to you ? Have you any reason at all to think your puppy has this problem ?

I would not be booking an Xray & anaesthetic based on a random remark by someone who doesn't like the breeder.

Why did this person say your puppy has this ? Why do you believe it ?

I dont know if the person I bought her from and him r rivals or not

Neither r friends and I am completely new in this area

Our dogs would be competing though although its more for fun for me than competition

She was vet checked,

She has a real waddle and I have worried about this for a while her back legs seem to kick in a bit sort of

But labs do have to fit into there feet

I don't know,they all seem nice,

I wouldn't have even questioned advice if not told to be wary

Maybe I'm in over my head

It's really all about my pup though, I've read that gen anesthetiser can be dangerous

I just hope not jumping the gun

Anyway thank you for your questions they have allowed me to get a bit of perspective I think I'll go with the vets advice when I get it tomorrow and will as for hip pin? X-ray

Thanks all