Hipdisplasia In Lab

Sam321

Person I bought off has said just before vet check that any probs and she would replace dog or money and sort something out with my pup

Also has never had any probs in any of her dogs but would definitely do the right thing by me she would be very surprised though as her dogs have always done so well (ch gch) and s gc in line as well.

However it can happen nothing is 100./.

Has never happened before though

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are grossly overreacting, no one can tell if a dog has hip dysplasia just by looking at it, the only way to diagnose dysplasia is by x-ray. The 'waddle' you speak of is pacing, not uncommon at this age or indeed at any age if the dog is moving slowly, dogs with perfect hips will pace occasionally. If your dog isn't showing any signs of discomfort or lameness I don't think you have anything to worry about AT THIS STAGE, wait until she is 12 months old and then have her x-rayed under the AVA scheme. However be aware that good hips and elbows are not the only criteria for breeding, conformation and temperament are also important considerations and above all your dog must have good type and be a good example of its breed.

I also agree with juice, IMO no reputable breeder would sell a puppy to a complete novice just for breeding. For a start breeders aren't clairvoyant and no breeder on this earth can say with complete certainty that an 8 week old puppy will be suitable for breeding as an adult. Secondly there is a LOT involved, it's not just a case of putting a female to a male of the same breed and getting lots of cute puppies that you can sell.

Let the puppy mature, keep her lean, don't over exercise and try to learn as much as you can about labs before you even think about mating her, believe me breeding isn't easy.

Thanks

I'm not actually a complete novice I've had labs all my life,no I'm not young

I've never shown dogs however used on the farm as work dogs very good ones.

Never been unfortunate enough to deal with hips elbows etc but have seen others that have and it's really sad to see

It's just this dog is special for a special needs child and that makes her worth more than all the tea in china I'm not overreacting I simply love her

The breeder wants you to X-ray first, THEN talk to them? :confused:

Why is that silly? Get the facts first and then have a discussion. No one can diagnose HD simply by looking at a dog...

My breeders would want to look at the pup themself first, before sending me off to put a baby under a potentially unnecessary GA for costly X-rays. I completely agree that HD cannot be diagnosed by looking at the outside of a dog, but a good breeder will know if a pup's waddle is typical for it's age and breed etc, and can then advise if there's anything to be concerned about.

For what it's worth, my Lab paces at times and has the characteristic 'tummy bobbing from side to side wobble' that goes with it. He has had his hips x-rayed and his hips are "excellent" on both sides (said the vet). So, as others have mentioned, pacing/waddling/wobbling does not mean hip dysplasia.

Glad that your boy seems to be fine :)

As someone whose previous dog benefited from chiro I agree with suggestions to seek out an expert in that area if you ever see actual signs of soreness in your dog.