First Litter Diary

RallyValley

I have decided to start a thread to record my first attempted litter (with lots of photos included of course). I think it will be nice to share the experience with a group of likeminded people and get all your great advice.

Zora came into season yesterday, only a few weeks late at 7 months since her last season. I am so excited about this potential litter and so is Zora's breeder. I am using a mature stud dog that lives fairly locally but will be doing progesterone testing to maximise the chance of conception.

I have been getting supplies ready since last year and the only thing I still need is a whelping box. I don't want to jinx things so will amend the title of the thread as needed :)

Edited by RallyValley

Its $60-$80 locally here where they need to send it off to a lab via a courier. Takes all day for a result. We go to a vet with their own machine, pay $44 and have the results in a couple of hours. So your quote isn't excessive but it might pay to make a few more phone calls

Best of luck with it all :)

Thanks ish and poocow! I will have to ring around but I think convenience might win out in the end...

No worries, timing is often of an essence so better to have results faster than wait all day. I'm lucky I have a few clinics around me all with in-house testing.

Showdog there is no other dog I would want to use right now, so I don't see the point in testing the dog. If Zora fails to fall pregnant then I will test the dog.

I would need to prog Zora regardless to know when to mate her, since she wont have free access to the stud dog, only visits to him.

Zora went to the vet yesterday and had an external exam and slide done. She was back today and had bloods drawn for progesterone testing. The difference in the slide from yesterday and today was huge and her walls have really started sloughing off.

Things have progressed quickly here and been really full on. Zora went to the stud Wednesday but wouldn't stand.

On Thursday she was progesterone tested at 7.1 and she stood but unfortunately the stud dog was interested but not interested enough. We had quite a few attenpts but no direct hits.

Yesterday I had the stud dog with me, he was mildly interested but was a bit homesick. I took both dogs to a repro vet, Zora had bloods taken for progesterone and the vet attempted to collect the stud. The stud just thought that was horrific and they only managed to get a small initial sample. The sample showed a bit of a low count but the vet said that could be expected when cleaning him out. They rested him for around 40 mins and tried for another sample but he was just way too freaked out about the whole situation by then.

Unfortunately the stud dog has been told off for showing interest in girls and is a very biddable dog. So when people are too close he won't attempt to mate her. This makes it hard to help him.

In a few hours I will be getting the latest progesterone results and discussing with the repro vet what the next step is.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates RV?

I am doing the oooh I think I can see a little pot to nooo it was just my imagination :) I picked the date in the middle of her matings so she could be more or less- doesn't help the doing my head in bit!!!!!!

Nothing much. She has been acting a bit more clingy then usual and has been off her food for the last few days. I noticed today she has a kind of bluish hue around her nipples and she seems to have a little more of a belly. However I might be wishing these things. Going to get her scanned early next week, save my mental health!!