Advice On A Breed For Our Lifestlye (found)

JackC

Thanks all, we know that we will have to put the hard yarns in with what ever breed we choose, and I agree that we would not risk our dog off leash unless it was a controlled situation. even up on the mount I would probably have here on a long leash.

We are dedicated to caring as much for the dog as we are to getting the right soul mate, this isn't something we are going to rush.

I guess all in all the only major requirement that matters is a breed of dog that will be happy and not destructive if left alone at home while we work during the day on weekdays, everything else is workable and manageable.

No one gets the perfect dog and I guess that is why we all love them so much, the little quirks, challenges and strange things they do give us the most enjoyment and create bonds between pet and owner.

Jack

Strongly recommend you upgrade that to "definitely". If you cannot give the dog your undivided focus, the leash is the go. In with people that may or may not share your love of dogs, then the leash becomes protection for your dog.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all, we know that we will have to put the hard yarns in with what ever breed we choose, and I agree that we would not risk our dog off leash unless it was a controlled situation. even up on the mount I would probably have here on a long leash.

We are dedicated to caring as much for the dog as we are to getting the right soul mate, this isn't something we are going to rush.

I guess all in all the only major requirement that matters is a breed of dog that will be happy and not destructive if left alone at home while we work during the day on weekdays, everything else is workable and manageable.

No one gets the perfect dog and I guess that is why we all love them so much, the little quirks, challenges and strange things they do give us the most enjoyment and create bonds between pet and owner.

Jack

Strongly recommend you upgrade that to "definitely". If you cannot give the dog your undivided focus, the leash is the go. In with people that may or may not share your love of dogs, then the leash becomes protection for your dog.

Thanks Haredown, I agree with you, taking this all on board, there is lots for us to learn as new pet owners :)

Just as a thought, when I take my kelpie places I take a soft crate with me. I set it up near where I will be working and depending on the circumstances I use a peg to put her on a long lead, it means she has a spot that is hers where she can go to rest if she wants to get away and if I get distracted for a moment the lead is attached to the ground rather than to me so she's always secure even if I'm not actually watching her closely at that moment. She spends most of her time pottering anyway but it feels safer and more secure.

You're going to have to balance your requirement for a dog that can cope on its own while you work with your need for a people focussed, biddible dog. - Where you decide to rule that line will inform the breed you chose IMO because the two don't generally sit all that well together.

ANY breed can be made to work if you are prepared to put the time and effort in. It may necessitate some adjustments during a pup's early months and frankly, choice of individual dog is going to be as important as breed. That's why you're going to need a knowledgeable breeder to assist your choice. You're going to want a laid back pup, not the demon of the litter from the sound of things.

If the dog will have some access inside, a smaller, more biddable kind of dog might be the go. Frankly, whoever suggested a poodle wasn't wide of the mark from where I sit - probably a Miniature. Once past early puppy needs, they'll doze the day away but expect to be a full part of your life when you are around. On the other hand, some of the hound breeds might be less inclined to fret when left on their own but far more inclined to give you the middle finger when offlead and something attracts their attention.

A trip to a decent dog show is probably going to open your eyes to breeds you hadn't considered. Actually, I wonder if a Keeshond could be one you should consider.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

The other thing to consider is, most companion breeds don't want to be left outside allday.

Poodle's can have shaggy hair too if you don't like the posh looking clip with pom poms :laugh:

If we opted for a more smaller more biddible dog then we would let it live indoors, if we opted for a more independent hound then outdoors is probably best for both parties, I'm happy either way.

I chose a Lappie partially because I wanted a medium-sized dog likely to cope in a small/medium yard with me being away for a full working day - which she does, but I do have to put in some effort to keep her from being bored and so she can use up some energy before the day begins. She's a tall female for the breed and around 18.5kg when she's at her best weight, but some of the girls in particular can be quite a bit smaller. They are fairly sturdy underneath the coat, though! Like other people said, biddable/good natural recall doesn't really go with the independence to cope with being alone. My girl has a pretty good recall, but they're not a breed well known for their ease of recall training - in fact because they are clever and a bit independent, training in general is a bit more challenging than with some other breeds. Not much more challenging, but they get bored easily with repetitive work, so you have to be a bit creative. On the other hand, as a breed which can cope with what you want happily they suit pretty well, and my girl only really needs a groom if she's blowing coat, has had a bath or I'm showing her. Cuddles on the couch are one of her favourite things :) You would need to accustom any dog to strange overhead flying things, but most Lappies will take that kind of thing in their stride once they realise that they're not for chasing and not a threat to be barked at.

A Corgi or Sheltie would probably suit, but I've never owned either breed so can't say more about them. My parents owned a Sheltie when they were a young working couple and absolutely loved her, and that's exactly the kind of situation she would have been in - home in the backyard during the day, inside with her people at night and weekends. I have heard of Shelties with separation anxiety, so checking that the parents came from lines with good temperament would be important - as it would for any breed! I don't know that it's that prevalent in Shelties, either.

If you're near the northern side of Melbourne there's a big two day show at Bulla this weekend. I know there will be Lappies there both days, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't also Shelties and Corgis of both varieties.

I chose a Lappie partially because I wanted a medium-sized dog likely to cope in a small/medium yard with me being away for a full working day - which she does, but I do have to put in some effort to keep her from being bored and so she can use up some energy before the day begins. She's a tall female for the breed and around 18.5kg when she's at her best weight, but some of the girls in particular can be quite a bit smaller. They are fairly sturdy underneath the coat, though! Like other people said, biddable/good natural recall doesn't really go with the independence to cope with being alone. My girl has a pretty good recall, but they're not a breed well known for their ease of recall training - in fact because they are clever and a bit independent, training in general is a bit more challenging than with some other breeds. Not much more challenging, but they get bored easily with repetitive work, so you have to be a bit creative. On the other hand, as a breed which can cope with what you want happily they suit pretty well, and my girl only really needs a groom if she's blowing coat, has had a bath or I'm showing her. Cuddles on the couch are one of her favourite things :) You would need to accustom any dog to strange overhead flying things, but most Lappies will take that kind of thing in their stride once they realise that they're not for chasing and not a threat to be barked at.

A Corgi or Sheltie would probably suit, but I've never owned either breed so can't say more about them. My parents owned a Sheltie when they were a young working couple and absolutely loved her, and that's exactly the kind of situation she would have been in - home in the backyard during the day, inside with her people at night and weekends. I have heard of Shelties with separation anxiety, so checking that the parents came from lines with good temperament would be important - as it would for any breed! I don't know that it's that prevalent in Shelties, either.

If you're near the northern side of Melbourne there's a big two day show at Bulla this weekend. I know there will be Lappies there both days, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't also Shelties and Corgis of both varieties.

Awesome thanks for the heads up LappieHappy, will see if I can make it there this weekend.

The gun dogs will probably cope with the flying machines. They're supposed to sit with the shooter until told to go get the shot bird, or go when sent to flush birds off the ground for shooting and then fetch them - without damaging or chewing the bird on retrieve.

And most of which requires considerable training and proofing.

Most gundogs I know, if left alone up to 10 hours a day as youngsters, will make what a Jap Spitz can do to a backyard look lke gardening.

Yup. I have one of those and the only reason she's an angel at home is because she's too bloody tired to do anything but rest up for the next training session :)

When you have a good hunter you need to teach awesome impulse control.

Demi my Lapphund has had 'off lead' rights since 8 weeks of age. She is a bit of a houdini when crated but only ever comes to me if she escapes and will quite happily snooze the day away at a show on a camp chair. Amazing recall when out- absolutely pathetic when she is in the house and cant see the 'point' of coming across the room to me when I could quite easily walk to her instead :laugh: She can recall off birds, other dogs people etc.

Demi is most definitely on the 'chilled' spectrum of the scale so I think its important to talk to breeders about your requirements so you don't end up with a bouncy excitable dog.

I dont think they are as easily trained as kelpie for example but Demi has really nice manners (she just forgets what drop means on a regular basis) and made it through the pets as therapy test really easily- walking on lead, being held, having people pat her and make lots of noise around her.

She is a bit of a barker when left outside- which may be a consideration as you plan on leaving it outside when your not at home. She doesnt really bark at all in the house.

Edited by Jumabaar

Awesome thanks for the heads up LappieHappy, will see if I can make it there this weekend.

As it happens, all three of those breeds are in the Working group, so if you can get there just ask directions to the Group Five ring. Most exhibitors will be happy to talk if they're not busy getting ready to go in the ring. Don't restrict yourself just to there though, have a good look around both inside and out, you might see a breed you hadn't considered :)

Actually the Tollers aren't a large dog, they might fit you wants quite nicely.

Yes I had been reading through and thinking that some of the gun dogs may be suitable and wondering when the Toller would be suggested. The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever is not too big, not too much coat, biddable and friendly.

Demi my Lapphund has had 'off lead' rights since 8 weeks of age. She is a bit of a houdini when crated but only ever comes to me if she escapes and will quite happily snooze the day away at a show on a camp chair. Amazing recall when out- absolutely pathetic when she is in the house and cant see the 'point' of coming across the room to me when I could quite easily walk to her instead :laugh: She can recall off birds, other dogs people etc.

Demi is most definitely on the 'chilled' spectrum of the scale so I think its important to talk to breeders about your requirements so you don't end up with a bouncy excitable dog.

I dont think they are as easily trained as kelpie for example but Demi has really nice manners (she just forgets what drop means on a regular basis) and made it through the pets as therapy test really easily- walking on lead, being held, having people pat her and make lots of noise around her.

She is a bit of a barker when left outside- which may be a consideration as you plan on leaving it outside when your not at home. She doesnt really bark at all in the house.

Thanks Jumabaar, The lapphund has made the short list and is always one my miss's keeps looking at when I'm not on the computer :)

As it happens, all three of those breeds are in the Working group, so if you can get there just ask directions to the Group Five ring. Most exhibitors will be happy to talk if they're not busy getting ready to go in the ring. Don't restrict yourself just to there though, have a good look around both inside and out, you might see a breed you hadn't considered :)

Awesome thank Lappie, will certainly try and make it, is there an official site for this venue, need to find directions

Yes I had been reading through and thinking that some of the gun dogs may be suitable and wondering when the Toller would be suggested. The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever is not too big, not too much coat, biddable and friendly.

wow, there are so many breeds its hard to keep up, those Tolling Retrievers looks beautiful, I hope there are some at this event in Bulla, would love to see some up close.

---

Thanks again everyone, this community is awesome, its nice to have help with this.

Jack and Jaycee

Thanks Jumabaar, The lapphund has made the short list and is always one my miss's keeps looking at when I'm not on the computer :)

Awesome thank Lappie, will certainly try and make it, is there an official site for this venue, need to find directions

wow, there are so many breeds its hard to keep up, those Tolling Retrievers looks beautiful, I hope there are some at this event in Bulla, would love to see some up close.

---

Thanks again everyone, this community is awesome, its nice to have help with this.

Jack and Jaycee

Here's the Dogs Victoria website with all the directions: Dogs Victoria Bulla Very easy to get to.

thanks Lappy, what time does it all kick off and if I want to have a chance to talk to a few owners what time should i get there?

found the directions but can't see a time.

Jack

As a sheltie breeder I don't really know if a sheltie would be suitable for you. One of the biggest complaints against shelties is they are prone to bark if left outside or alone and are reserved with strangers which isn't really what you are looking for.

I actually think an Australian Shepherd might be more what you are looking for. I have found them to be steadier than shelties and while they definitely do need more exercise that varies with individual dogs. My current Aussie Nova needs a lot of exercise but my previous one Reeve would be happy to do as much or as little as I wanted

My experience of approaching breeders at shows is that it's all about picking the right time as opposed to being there early. Breeders will be prepping their dogs before their turn, I always just wandered around and watched the action and tried to get a feel for the personality of the breeders and their dogs, and when the breeders I wanted to talk to weren't running around like mad things foofing their dogs fur, and the chardy had been cracked open and they were in sit and chat and watch the rest of the dogs mode that was my cue LOL

JackC

I'm guessing most of these things kick off after 8am ish, and depending what breed is being judged when... most people get there really early with their dogs to get a good spot and get their space set up. So judging might start at 8am or 9am but people will be there earlier.

Most people will be happiest to talk to you well before or well after it's their turn to go in the ring, so if they're looking really busy, ask them when a good time to come and chat would be.

Cool thanks, I'm not an early bird so will aim to get there when it kicks off have a good look round and when its starting to quiet down a little seek out some of the owners that I would like to chat with :D

Jack, sent a private message with my phone number - we are not far from Bulla Showgrounds. You may find many of the show people are very busy with their dogs and may find it difficult to chat. However and if you wanted to meet some Aussie Shepherds in the flesh I am around on the weekend and you would be welcome to come and see my dudes - give you a good idea as to the energy level and see if that suits you. Plus mine are running around the farm and you might get a good idea of the difference grooming for a show as to grooming for lifestyle is.

Aussies also make good teddy bears.

Edited by alpha bet