Advice On A Breed For Our Lifestlye (found)

JackC

Just be aware ..you may have to turn your plans a bit askew ;)

A dog really shouldn't start jogging /long walking until mature ..so around 12 mths , AFAIK.

BUT they DO need that 10 - 15 mins at least training time EVERY day :)

Trouble is with long runs etc .. the dog just gets fitter and needs MORE..and MORE

Thinking hard , working for reward, learning new things is tiring .....any activity where control and dexterity and precision is needed is tiring ..more so than running in a paddock

thanks persesphone, the advise is really appreciated :)

I'm happy to switch it all around, nothing is set in stone and I'm sure the breeder will also help me out with bringing up the dog right. I see what you mean about new things being tiring, its kinda like us, if we just go to the gym and run on a treadmill we not only get bored quick but over time will only increase our endurance, but if we change it up every day at the gym, one day doing upper body, the next legs, the nest back, the next something else, we tire quicker as we are using new muscles (including our brain) every day and we progress faster and hold interest in what we are doing.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be aware ..you may have to turn your plans a bit askew ;)

A dog really shouldn't start jogging /long walking until mature ..so around 12 mths , AFAIK.

BUT they DO need that 10 - 15 mins at least training time EVERY day :)

Trouble is with long runs etc .. the dog just gets fitter and needs MORE..and MORE

Thinking hard , working for reward, learning new things is tiring .....any activity where control and dexterity and precision is needed is tiring ..more so than running in a paddock

thanks persesphone, the advise is really appreciated :)

I'm happy to switch it all around, nothing is set in stone and I'm sure the breeder will also help me out with bringing up the dog right. I see what you mean about new things being tiring, its kinda like us, if we just go to the gym and run on a treadmill we not only get bored quick but over time will only increase our endurance, but if we change it up every day at the gym, one day doing upper body, the next legs, the nest back, the next something else, we tire quicker as we are using new muscles (including our brain) every day and we progress faster and hold interest in what we are doing.

I was thinking the same thing persephone. Trick training is the way to go with pups to exercise their brains as long as you don't do anything with jumping, begging or too much twisting. I have dabbled in Dancing with Dogs & there are lots of moves to teach your dog. And some of them are used in rally.

Anyone find it hard to pick a name for your dog, I can see us taking a while to find one we both like. haha

thanks luvsdogs :)

Just read the thread> Congrats on your decision - I think you will be very happy with your choice. :)

I have a puppy on the way. I suck at names. I want a really good name this time. Been trying to think of one for, oh, I don't know... a few years :laugh:

I love the Aussies. I have a border collie and a spaniel x terrier. The spaniel x is the crazy nut of the two and has more energy. Both dogs are lots of fun. I like high energy dogs.

Well after much debate and back and forth we have settled on two names

Koda (Ko-da)- Native America meaning "friend"

or

Loki - (Lo-Ki) - Norse God of Mischief

We will probably pick the choice depending on his character :D

Taking the miss's to see the pups and family tonight, praying she is happy with the size hehe, will let you all know.

Edited by JackC

or

Taking the miss's to see the pups and family tonight, praying she is happy with the size hehe, will let you all know.

If she thinks they are a bit big go for a bitch. They are usually a fair bit smaller.

or

If she thinks they are a bit big go for a bitch. They are usually a fair bit smaller.

We may have that option as there is a blue bitch that just came back on availability, we will see :)

or

We may have that option as there is a blue bitch that just came back on availability, we will see :)

Exciting! Good luck!

Evening all,

Would like to thank everyone that posted on this thread and helped with our decision on bringing the right dog into our lives

I would also like to thank Anne at Alfoxton Dog Training, VIC for being an amazing person to deal with, knowledgeable and a pleasure to learn from

We would like to introduce our baby black tri Australian Shepherd, name yet to be decided, leaning towards Koda

almost 5 weeks old, He is a little camera shy

45weeks-at-Annes_zpsf5f17bb0.jpg

After some playing and lots of love he fell asleep :D

45weeks-at-Annes2_zps28278a99.jpg

So, when do you have him at home ?

He is 5 weeks on Friday so 3 weeks after that, he has to have his last vacs and microchip done before we can take him, got lots to prepare for his arrival :D

Eeeeeee so adorable! I first met my Quinn at 5 weeks old, I remember her being small and cute and easy to manage, those were the days :laugh:

Just kidding, she is still adorable and fun, just slightly more challenging now she's big, as you'll know from my last post...

You'll have a great time with him :)

He looks like a Border Collie, :D so totally gorgeous. Congratulations JackC. You are so lucky to be able to get a puppy so quickly, some people wait for months or years to get the right pup.

eta, you'll have to head on over to puppy problems & the "Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You"

Edited by luvsdogs

He looks like a Border Collie, :D so totally gorgeous. Congratulations JackC. You are so lucky to be able to get a puppy so quickly, some people wait for months or years to get the right pup.

eta, you'll have to head on over to puppy problems & the "Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You"

Hehe was thinking the same thing, he does look a little, nice proportions though, he's gonna be a nice size dude. Anne was great and gave me a nice book to read over all about the first few weeks and what we need to think about, lots to do :D

Yay! Congrats on your baby Aussie! I think they would perfect for your situation. My old black tri girl would have fitted your situation perfectly- very calm, non destructive but also happy to go on long walks etc. she was left 9-5 during the day with no probs.

finding the right individual dog is important though (there are some crazy aussies out there!!) and it sounds like you've found a good breeder.

My Labrador is very calm as well but it took more work with her and she isn't happy by herself all day. Young gun dogs can be a handful and quite destructive!

Edited by aussielover

Yay! Congrats on your baby Aussie! I think they would perfect for your situation. My old black tri girl would have fitted your situation perfectly- very calm, non destructive but also happy to go on long walks etc. she was left 9-5 during the day with no probs.

finding the right individual dog is important though (there are some crazy aussies out there!!) and it sounds like you've found a good breeder.

My Labrador is very calm as well but it took more work with her and she isn't happy by herself all day. Young gun dogs can be a handful and quite destructive!

I agree, very happy with Koda, from what I have seen so far is one of the quieter and less hyper puppies in the litter, there are some blue girl tri's in there that are all over your face when you come over haha.

hoping to go see him this weekend and get some day time shots outside.