Safe, Mild Sedative Required

I recently travelled by air to Sydney with my dogs.

After reading on DOL that most dogs travel without problem, I didn't expect any from my two as they don't bat a eyelid at most situations that are noisy, etc.

On the down leg of the journey they didn't seem to bad, but I noticed (watched from the boarding lounge) that they were loaded very last thing, just before the flight closed and we they were brought out to us almost immediately when we got down to the oversized luggage collection area.

But on the return flight I noticed they were loaded on the flight early before alot of the luggage, the landing was pretty rough and the dogs took ages to come out to us. So I don't know if this had any bearing on the state one in particular was in.

Macey who never drools normally came through the door standing up in her crate with a wild look in her eyes. Her crate pad was saturated with dribble. She had drool hanging in threads from her mouth down to the pad - she was totally freaked out!

We have our National Beagle speciality in Perth next year. This is only held every few years and we would dearly love to attend being our first one. Is there any sedative that is safe and gentle that would calm her on a flight without affecting her for days afterwards?

Any suggestions, apart from not flying the dogs ever again?

HilaryO I'd talk to your vet. Views on sedation have changed a lot over the years and from what I can gather, most vets advise against sedation as it can have unwanted effects on the dog's perception and on their ability to drink and control their body temperature.

What you've described sounds more like nausea than fear - you might look into giving some relief for travel sickness - again your vet would be a good place to start although their are also alternative therapies available.

Make sure you give the dogs a few days to recover before the National - much better to have a perky Beagle for the big day. :(

I could suggest a number of herbal type things to calm them but have always understood that sedation and air travel are a no no. This is for a number of reasons including if there is turbulence they can't brace themselves properly and may be hurt, nobody is present if there an adverse reaction to the sedation etc etc. I have one dog that doesn't travel well at times but I won't sedate him, the only thing I have ever given him is sealegs in case he was motion sick.

What you've described sounds more like nausea than fear - you might look into giving some relief for travel sickness

Thanks Poodlefan - didn't think of travel sickness as never had a dog with it before. I guess it could be this as I have seen pups arrive at shows drooling, although never to that extreme. My girl is due for her first booster vaccination soon so I'll ask the vet then.

My male dog's reaction was to curl himself up as small as could be in the back of the crate. Poor babies, it must be pretty scary for them and I would guess the noise and landing of the aircraft must be pretty loud down below.

Thanks also to cowanbree and kitkat.

I know Acepromazine is still used for travel sickness, and it has a slight sedative effect also.

I use "Ace" quite a bit (for different things) as it is cheap, safe (in terms of normal medicine safety, there's always the possibility of some side-effects, as with anything), and effective.

:(

As per instructions... a bit over an hour. 1h 15 min, I think.

maybe it needs more?

He didn't vomit on the way back, 4-5 hrs later.

Vet said, they are very safe. These tablets are same as for people, you can get them on your own prescription, just check the dose.

The travel calm ginger tablets are good, they are natural herbal tablets and the added bonus is if you get motion sickness you can take them as well :( but they are easy to get (from chemist, look in the herbal stuff area) and they aren't expensive.

I wouldn't give a sedative for unsupervised travel. Along with problems like thermoregulation (more to do with vasodilation) the dogs aren't able to right themselves, balance properly and respond to their surroundings which puts them at greater risk of injury.

I would suggest that the drooling is probably related to nausea. Even though ACP is anti-emetic, drugs like Stemetil and Maxolon are more effective at controlling nausea without providing sedation.

Definately one to speak to your vet about.

Guest louthailand

My Yorkie will be taking her first plane trip in just over a week's time. She is not prone to car/motion sickness, but am worried about her being travelling and getting frightened. Is it just a case of not sedating her and seeing how she goes?

I would talk to you vet first.

There is a natural product called "rescue remedy" which is made from bach flowers. When i used to work at a dog grooming palour, the owner would always have a bottle handy. She would used it for dogs who were a little anxious, snarly or just out of control. She always would ring the owner first and most people didn't have a problem with it and even the vet said it was good.

Seriously, it works. You can buy it from the chemist for about $18 and it comes with an eye dropper and you only have to give alittle in their mouth or water. My sister uses it for her cat and dog when they are just full on.

She gave me some for Buckley and Taco because they would just be out of control and they just calmed straight down.

Good Luck.