Is The 3rd Vacc Really Necessary?

Not if your puppy has been vacc'd at 8 weeks or older for the first and has had a booster a month after that. It all depends on what vaccine your breeder opts to use and the protocol they choose to follow.

When I sell pups they are vacc'd at 8 weeks plus, then a month after that, I strongly recommend that the pups is not given a third vac but rather a booster at 15-16 months.

All maternal antibodies wear off in all puppies by about 16 weeks.

There needs to be at least one vaccination after 16 weeks to ensure that the vaccination was effective.

The vaccinations that your puppy has already had at 8 and 12 weeks may have worked, or they may not have. You can do a titre test to find out, but another vaccination will be cheaper.

I think it depends on the vaccine used by the vet, the age of the pup at the second shot and the level of risk in your area.

Some brands work from 10 weeks of age, some don't so it might be best to look at the brand your vet has used and do your own research on manufactures guidelines.

The second and third shots are not 'boosters' of the first shot. They are given because Maternal antibodies hang around for variable lengths of time and they can interfere with the vaccine. Thus most puppies will have low enough maternal antibodies at 12 weeks of age for the vaccine to work. Individual puppies may have higher than expected maternal antibodies at 12 weeks and so need the third shot for the vaccine to be dealt with the the puppies body and not the maternal antibodies.

Some studies show that one vaccine only at 12 weeks had a good response.

So the short answer is that no one can tell you that with out more information. Perhaps see if your vet will discuss the pro' sand con's for the third vaccine (or find one who will)?

Caesar was vacc once at the breeder's and a C5 at 13 weeks old. The vet recommended another C5 at 17 weeks old. So now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead with it. Caesar deserves the best after all. :)

My vet doesn't recommended the 3rd vaccination, he said I could get it done if I wanted but it was not something that they routinely do any more - the second one was the C5. I did phone around a few different vets in the area and was told the same thing

depends... the mothers antibodies render vaccines usless as long as they are still protecting the pup, if the antibodies wore off earlier and the first vaccines "took" then the 3rd is not needed, but if the mothers antibodies had NOT worn off earlier then by 16 weeks your pup will have zero protection without that 3rd shot. personally, I will NEVER not do the 3rd set, its the most important. .I am happy to skip the first 2 sets, but I will never ever skip the 16 week shot! !

The Vaccine Guidelines Group of the World Small Animal Veterinary Association has this to say .......

"Most pups are protected by MDA in the first weeks of life. In general, passive immunity will have waned by 8–12 weeks of age to

a level that allows active immunization. Pups with poor MDA may be vulnerable (and capable of responding to vaccination) at an

earlier age, while others may possess MDA at such high titres that they are incapable of responding to vaccination until ≥12 weeks

of age. No single primary vaccination policy will therefore cover all possible situations. The recommendation of the VGG is for

initial vaccination at 8–9 weeks of age followed by a second vaccination 3–4 weeks later, and a third vaccination given between

14–16 weeks of age. By contrast, at present many vaccine data sheets recommend an initial course of two injections. Some products

are also licensed with a ‘10 week finish’ designed such that the second of two vaccinations is given at 10 weeks of age. The rationale

behind this protocol is to permit ‘early socialization’ of pups. The VGG recognizes that this is of great benefit to the behavioural

development of dogs. Where such protocols are adopted, great caution should still be maintained by the owner – allowing restricted

exposure of the pup to controlled areas and only to other pups that are healthy and fully vaccinated. The VGG recommends that

whenever possible a third dose of core vaccine be given at 14–16 weeks of age."

Unless you have your puppy titre tested to check that he has responded to his first two vaccinations, it would be a good idea to have a third one done at 16 weeks.

Of course there is a good chance that he is already immune and therefore wont need the last vaccination BUT you have no way of being certain unless you have a titre done.

If you choose not to have the third one, please note that the Guidlines Group states that "great caution should be maintained by the owner- allowing restricted exposure of the pup to controlled areas and only to other pups that are healthy and fully vaccinated. The VGG recommends that wherever possible a third dose of core vaccine be given at 14-14 weeks of age."

depending on the situation I dont bother with the first 2, I just keep my pups under lock and key, with socialization being carried or on a blanket from home, remove my shoes outside my yard, carry my other dogs from the driveway to the tub to scrub their feet if they have been out etc.. then at 16 weeks I do the booster and carry on with this for 10 days following the booster. currently however I work at a boarding kennel/daycare, so I just do all 3 since the lock and key thing is a whole lot more difficult lol