Giving Blood

mixeduppup

Today Ammo became a first time blood donor, we had a situation arise that needed a dog to give blood and we had none available. So I ran home and grabbed Ammo and brought him back and he became a blood donor. It's the best feeling to be able to assist in helping save another dog's life by using your own dog. I highly recommend people with dogs over 25kgs in good health consider it. Ammo bounced back fine and was even eating a bit of pizza half an hour afterward :laugh:

Edited by mixeduppup

Good to know! There should be more awareness around it, I knew dogs could be donors but I still don't know how or if there are any side effects (or potential severe negative effects).

I mean, my guys are only 12kgs so not eligible anyway, but it's always interesting and good to know.

Do they have 'blood types' like in humans?

Yes. about 45% of dogs have the same blood type or are universal donors. the great thing about dogs blood types is that they don't develop antibodies until after the first donation so even if it isn't a match it will still do the job :)

Mine was the same :) she layed there snoring then when woohooo fooooodddd!!!!!

With Greys the ones that do not leave are basically bled dry. Some vets have a resident blood donor who does regular donations. Many do not.

Must be fully vaccinated and heartwormed, over 25kgs and 18 months or over and it good health. :)

Ideally they also have a blasé temperament so that its not too stressful for them and they dont need many drugs (since all drugs cary some risks) to keep them quiet during donation.

Edited to make sense

Edited by Jumabaar

We chose to sedate/anaesthetise Ammo as it was his first time and he was a bit unsure, he was very lightly sedated and woke up and was fine. But yes, ideal candidates should be super calm and relaxed so that sedation is not needed at all.

Edited by mixeduppup

Good job.

If Zig sat still long enough, I would put him up.

He is sitting at just under 26kg, has all vaccinations and is healthy as a horse..

I think they would have to lightly sedate Zig - I will ask at the vets next time I go up if they ever need it.

Question - do dogs have different blood groups like humans or is it all just the one type?

Good job.

If Zig sat still long enough, I would put him up.

He is sitting at just under 26kg, has all vaccinations and is healthy as a horse..

I think they would have to lightly sedate Zig - I will ask at the vets next time I go up if they ever need it.

Question - do dogs have different blood groups like humans or is it all just the one type?

Dogs have different blood types, however the great thing is they don't develop antibodies until the second transfusion so you can mix blood groups with no ill effects in an emergency situation.