Non-shedding Dogs

Both of my dogs seem to shed an incredible amount considering they are both short haired. I have a Weim and a Beagle Cross. I can understand why the shed factor plays a part in choosing a dog breed if you are houseproud. I have wooden floors throughout and have to run about with the vacuum twice a day to keep on of it. It is embarassing when relatives with allergies come to visit and their eyes start streaming - obviously there is still plenty of dog hair about!

That said, I love both of them to death, so the hair is just part of the deal. I was thinking of getting a miniature poodle at one stage and thought wistfully of how lovely it would be not to have to battle with the dog hair, but I have always had pets of the wash n wear variety and I realised just how much grooming they require.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheridan: I think picking on anyone for a preference makes as much sense as choosing a dog on one characteristic alone. I like non-shedding dogs. Is that the only criteria for choosing one? Of course not, but it is definitely a criteria. If you want to pick on me for that, then there's not much I can say. (Just to clarify, I don't feel picked on by you).

I have owned a gorgeous white Standard Poodle who I groomed myself - IMO some people who have never owned a non-shedding dog think it will be 'blissful' not having hair around the house… to be honest, you would spend more time grooming the dog or paying ridiculous amounts for a dog groomer every 6 weeks or so than you would on vacuuming the house… I groomed my Std Poodle myself for 13 years and would have to do a bit each week rather than all at once as it would take hours upon hours to wash, dry, clip and scissor all at once (I'm sure I was slow at it). As much as I absolutely adore the Std. Poodles, when she passed away and I considered my next breed, I just couldn't bring myself to have a dog with such a high maintenance coat… I still found white hairs on some of my clothes with her too (obviously not many) and I didn't think she had much of a doggy odour. I have photos of her with mud all up her legs, tail and muzzle and a grin from ear to ear after playing in the rain…eek1.gif They certainly get dirty and bring all sorts of things inside on their coat (sticks/leaves etc). I now have a short haired breed with a single coat and I must say I am loving the low maintenance coat. I don't notice hair around the house at all.. unless I look really closet on the tiles, but she drops very little coat and has little-to no doggy smell at all. I can take her to the beach/park and just rinse her off when home, she is dry in 10 mins. It is lovely. But … at the end of the day, it HAS to be about the breed as a whole - their personality, attributes and if the owner can give them everything they need - exercise requirements, care etc etc. So I definitely don't feel people should choose a breed based on shedding but understand how it plays a part in their decisions. I will say that my mother does not like dogs that shed and she is considering her next breed - was thinking of going for a toy/mini poodle however, she is torn between coat maintenance … I am trying to open her eyes up to other breeds who perhaps still shed but not huge amounts.smile.gif

Sheridan, if you were to read my post in the other thread you would see that non (or low) shedding was one of a list of characteristics I'm looking for. I'm not sure why you feel the need to jump on people for having a preference.

I don't mind leaves and sticks, but I detest dog hair in my house. Each to their own!

This is such a great thread and the shedding/non-shedding thing is something I think about constantly! Currently I have 2 non-shedding dogs which are pretty wash and wear since I keep them clipped short. They go to the groomers every 8 weeks or so, get a bath in between and brush every week or so.

But for my next breed of dog I'm considering a Border Collie, Aussie or Toller - all shedders. I'm extremely house proud and am terrified that I'll love the dog and all its other qualities but will regret the decision based on the shedding.

Its unknown as to how I will feel about it when there is hair all around my house and shows up clear as day on white tiles.

So to me the shedding/non-shedding thing is a HUGE factor. Obviously I have considered all the other breed traits to get to the point of choosing these breeds for my short list but then I get to the shedding factor and I simply can't make a decision.

I think each to their own - only you know what you can and can't live with and it is a breed characteristic just like any other that needs to be considered before you get the dog.

I will never have another pug for the same reason - it is like labrador coat and they do get that doggy smell. Sid doesn't drop much coat at all, it's a single coat and he never gets doggy.

I agree. They are a smelly kind of dog. Most people disagree with me when I say that but to me they have a strong dog odour when in comparison to many other breeds. This is the first time in a long while that i have witnessed someone who thinks the same.

They are definitely a doggy smelling dog. They have a slightly oily, almost waterproof coat (well, Lola does). I have noticed it way more since getting Sid. He dries in two minutes, she takes two hours. And I agree on the bed thing - you can never get rid of the hair.

ETA I will stick to short, single coated breeds. Mum has a MS, and even though he doesn't shed, she spends a fair bit of time maintaining his coat and he drags twigs and leaves etc into the house on his feathery bits.

Edited by huga

I have shedding breeds.

The GSD coat does my head in sometimes - never looks great even if I brush him regularly, sheds heaps (a whole dog's worth every week!), he has skin problems, gets hot spots and smells. Not keen to do that again!

The Kelpies are much easier to look after - bath and brush once a month and that's pretty much it! They always look good too. Kaos has the least coat and is the easiest to look after.

That's one thing I love about my Dally - no doggy smell! Perhaps it all falls out with the hair :laugh:

Whilst keeping all the hair (2 dogs, 3 cats) under control drives me a bit batty sometimes, there is just SO much about their behavioural characteristics that I love and I don't regret my choices. I enjoy brushing my ESS (field bred lines so not much coat) but once a week is plenty plus a light trim of her feathers whenever I feel like it (very few months?). I love Poodles but the grooming would drive me slightly crazier than sweeping/dusting/wiping/vacuuming every few days. I figure Mr TSD contributes his fair share to the moulting issues too!

In our case, non shedding was quite high on our priority list when we got Tintin, a Lagotto. We had a JRTx at the time and his hair drove me completely bonkers! It was EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME. I just didn't want to get a dog that would add to that. Also, I really like brushing so the extra time involved with a non shedding dog wasn't a problem. We didn't sacrifice any of the other requirements we had. Really, if you are after non/low shedding, there are quite a few very different breeds to choose from. But a Lagotto was the best fit for us. If we hadn't decided we wanted a non shedding dog, we would never have discovered the awesome Lagotto.

Jackson, the JRTx has since passed on and I must have forgotten what it was like because we then got a Birman cat :eek: . She's lucky she's gorgeous, I tell you! Now we have added a cocker spaniel to the mix. I was expecting to have to deal with bloody hair blowing all around the house again but it hasn't happened. Maybe he's faulty? He doesn't lose hair at all.

Now we're thinking (well I am, OH is still in denial :laugh: ) about getting a British Shorthair. Mad!

Edited by Tintin Jac

I could less about hair in the house and car. Much more important I get a dog/breed I want to live with.

This is my point about preferences. Some of us want to live with a dog that doesn't shed.

I don't mind mud, leaves, etc... but hair around the house makes MY hair stand on end.

What's so wrong about knowing what you want, why should we justify it? :shrug:

The leaves and dirt are easy to clean up and certainly no where near as prolific as pug hair. I can manage the eye gunk wiped on furniture, the occasional passing of wind, the sneezing in my face and on furniture, the odd leaf, twig or wet foot prints but I am over the hair.

It is exactly that - a preference. I prefer non-shedding in my future. I can't see why that makes people get so up in arms either.

Why should it matter if the first criteria is a non-shedding coat, there are quite a few breeds that are non-shedding or very low shedding. At least that person is actually looking for breed recommendations instead of just jumping on the BYB oodle bandwagon. As is pointed out by almost everyone here in other threads there are different temperaments within each breed so what's wrong with short listing say ten breeds and then looking into the characteristics of each breed and considering whether they would suit you.

Kiesha I have found the best thing about being a renter is being able to trial other peoples houses and work out what I want in the one I'll build soon. Why not look into fostering for a while before you get your next forever dog, that way you can see how it sits with you without being in a lifelong relationship if the fur is really bothering you. Plus you never know you might find that perfect someone in the process :)

I could less about hair in the house and car. Much more important I get a dog/breed I want to live with.

This is my point about preferences. Some of us want to live with a dog that doesn't shed.

I don't mind mud, leaves, etc... but hair around the house makes MY hair stand on end.

What's so wrong about knowing what you want, why should we justify it? :shrug:

The leaves and dirt are easy to clean up and certainly no where near as prolific as pug hair. I can manage the eye gunk wiped on furniture, the occasional passing of wind, the sneezing in my face and on furniture, the odd leaf, twig or wet foot prints but I am over the hair.

It is exactly that - a preference. I prefer non-shedding in my future. I can't see why that makes people get so up in arms either.

Short haired breeds will still bring sticks/leaves inside too… just not on their coat but in their mouthlaugh.gif Well maybe that's just a gundog thing? hahaha. The amount of stuff my dog brings inside is ridiculous! eek1.gif

After a life time of pugs, I'm opting for a non shedding breed next... assuming there is a next. I'd even look at a non shedding breed of cat. I love my pugs and I can talk about the wonders of them forever but I am so. over. the. hair.

My house is dog friendly. It's all wood floors, I have an auto vacuum, the dogs aren't allowed on the lounge but the hair is still everywhere. :laugh:

I wash their beds weekly and run the covers through the drier but I cannot get the hair off the so they always look dirty to me.

Just go a black, they don't shed nearly as much :D

Yep, Alvin is a single coat too - barely sheds at all.

Sheridan, if you were to read my post in the other thread you would see that non (or low) shedding was one of a list of characteristics I'm looking for. I'm not sure why you feel the need to jump on people for having a preference.

I don't mind leaves and sticks, but I detest dog hair in my house. Each to their own!

And you bothered reading my earlier post you'll understand why. I repeat: if your first preference is non-shedding then get a toy dog. Consider the breed first and foremost and whether that breed will fit into your lifestyle because I can guarantee that quite a few of the non-shedding breeds are dogs you probably won't want.

Why should it matter if the first criteria is a non-shedding coat (...). At least that person is actually looking for breed recommendations instead of just jumping on the BYB oodle bandwagon.

Indeed! :thumbsup: Unfortunately, there's just no pleasing some people :provoke:

ETA: I spent a year researching before actually getting a dog. Apparently that was useless because my first criteria was that it should be a non-shedding toy breed, and took it from there. Never mind that it's for health reasons! Nope, I should have gotten a stuffed toy instead.

Edited by Melina Bea

Why should it matter if the first criteria is a non-shedding coat (...). At least that person is actually looking for breed recommendations instead of just jumping on the BYB oodle bandwagon.

Indeed! :thumbsup: Unfortunately, there's just no pleasing some people :provoke:

ETA: I spent a year researching before actually getting a dog. Apparently that was useless because my first criteria was that it should be a non-shedding toy breed, and took it from there. Never mind that it's for health reasons! Nope, I should have gotten a stuffed toy instead.

I would prefer some people jump on an oodle bandwagon rather than get a breed that is totally inappropriate for their lifestyle because they didn't consider anything other than whether it shed. You and kelpiecuddles seem to have missed that point.

Kelpiecuddles your idea is good in theory but I kNOW I would never be able to part with a dog I fostered.... I'm a big softy and once the dog walked in the front door I know it would be there to stay :laugh:

But my brother has a BC so I might just have to 'foster' him for a while as a test run.

Haven't missed that point at all but I don't think starting with a certain preference and researching from there is a bad thing. You might research all of those ten breeds and then decide that none of them suit. I started out researching one non-shedding breed which may or may not suit us and have since added five or six more breeds to my research list that I either didn't know existed or hadn't considered.

There's nothing wrong with being proven wrong if you start with an idea in your head and then realise after research that it isn't going to work for whatever reason and reconsidering some shedding breeds at that point if necessary.

Sheridan, you were talking about non-shedding being the first criteria. That's what I'm arguing for.

It being the ONLY criteria is, of course, careless. But no more careless than choosing it for its size, looks, etc. To say "I'm picking on non-shed-lovers" (slight paraphrasing) is to both generalise and pick on someone for preference.

A dog should be chosen to fit the owners' lifestyle, personality and needs. The ORDER of the criteria shouldn't matter.